Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OWR Press release

OPEN WHEEL RACING SERIES, LLC
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

OPEN WHEEL RACING SERIES NOT CONCERNED
ABOUT IRL NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT

LANSING, Mich. (Jan 14, 2004) – Open Wheel Racing Series, LLC (“OWRS”) partners today indicated that they are not concerned by the information that the Indy Racing League (“IRL”) has recently expressed an interest in the CART, Inc. (“CART”) assets.

On Dec. 30, 2003, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Frank J. Otte established a timeline to complete the CART asset purchase proceedings. The court approved the procedure submitted by CART to sell its assets and accepted the OWRS proposal to purchase said assets as a “qualified bid.” Any other parties interested in submitting competing bids must do so no later than Jan. 23, and the court will render a final decision with regard to the OWRS proposal on Jan. 28.

“My understanding is that the IRL filed and signed a non-disclosure agreement with CART that gives them the right to examine the documents for the CART asset purchase as put forth by the court,” explained Paul Gentilozzi, an OWRS partner and owner of Rocketsports Racing. “It’s not unexpected that other organizations would come forward to review the assets and documents as we’re all in the motorsports business.

“We’ve spent six months to acquire a thorough understanding of the situation and develop a business plan for the successful operation of the series. We are steadfast in our dedication and commitment to continue the Champ Car World Series for the millions of loyal open-wheel racing fans throughout North America and beyond,” concluded Gentilozzi.

Said Kevin Kalkhoven, an OWRS partner and co-owner of PK Racing, “I doubt that the IRL would put in a bid in order to continue the series. In my opinion, their desire would be to kill it. The result would be many hundreds of Americans out of work, depriving two million fans of the opportunity of watching some of the greatest racing in the world and showcasing a great historical American motor racing series. I would sum it up as the IRL wants to bury – OWRS wants to build; that’s the difference.”

Kalkhoven added, “Any offer to acquire specific race assets without assuming all of the contracts as in the OWRS proposal is unlikely to beat the OWRS offer because it would not take on all of the liabilities associated with those contracts.”

The 2004 Champ Car World Series racing season is slated to begin April 18 with its 22nd running of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. Reigning Champ Car Drivers’ Champion Paul Tracy will return to defend his 2003 Long Beach win.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 14 Jan 2004, 21:16 (Ref:838449)   #2
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the update, Mags!
Old 14 Jan 2004, 21:19 (Ref:838452)   #3
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Thanks for the update, Mags!
Anytime
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 14 Jan 2004, 21:27 (Ref:838465)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like Gentilozzi finally got a hold of himself! He was apoplectic about an IRL bid yesterday.

I find it truly amusing that Kalkhoven is worried about all the Americans that would be out of work, should OWRS fail. I'm guessing he doesn't mean American drivers, because CART put them out of work long ago!

As for his worrying about losing an historical American racing series, maybe he should turn to his partner, Gentilozzi, and ask him how he ended the longest running American racing series, Trans Am!

All of a sudden, there waving the Stars and Stripes.

Give me a break...

Danica Patrick
Old 14 Jan 2004, 21:36 (Ref:838473)   #5
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They offend some people by not saying anything. They offend some people by saying something. In my experience some people are going to be offended no matter what you do, so might as well say what you think.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 22:04 (Ref:838498)   #6
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I'm alittle offended by what Kalkhoven said.

We're now supposed to believe that he cares anything about Americans out of work? CART hasn't cared about being identified as an American series in years, but now we're supposed to back him up, because American jobs are on the line? This series has been internationalized to the point where its not recognizable as an American series anyway, yet now, he wants me to wave the flag for him?

Take the series to Mexico and Canada, for all I care! Let them make this thing work. They've got more riding on its success than any American anyway. America has thrown there hands up, they no longer care. This series is done here...

Damn, I'm ramblin...

Danica Patrick
Old 14 Jan 2004, 22:16 (Ref:838516)   #7
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, as far as the Americans out of work, there's nothing factually wrong with what's he's saying. I assume most people employed by teams of which most (if not all) are based inside the United States are American, that includes CART staff, Admin staff for each team etc who don't go to the races. So really, all he's stating is fact in that particular case.

You may have merit in taking the series off shore. The way Asia is going ahead, China, Korea, Malaysia etc, I could see the series move down to that part of the globe and thrive. Perhaps the motto 'use it or lose it' should finally be applied in this case. You'd still keep Canada and Mexico though, they support the series.

GP I don't know if you're as angry as you seem to be or if it's just the whole uncertain situation talking to the point where you're just ready to throw you hands up. The fact that you stick around tells me there still fire in the belly for this series to pull through.

Last edited by macdaddy; 15 Jan 2004 at 06:37.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 22:35 (Ref:838538)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So...if the IRL does have this grand scheme to buy out the Series and kill it, will every single one of those teams that has run in CART choose NOT TO RACE AT ALL....ANYWHERE....

I seriously doubt that will happen....

Some may go ahead and move over to the IRL....

Others may go to the ALMS....

Others still may look at other forms of racing to pursue....

These owners have racing in their blood and have invested in a lot more equipment than just the cars....

Sure...there will be team people out of work....just as there would be right now if OWRS hadn't made their bid...

CART is Bankrupt....

To make the IRL out as "throwing many out of work" is a total crock....

I see amny of these teams going into some other form of racing...

Whether it would be the IRL or ALMS would be fine with me....

This thing will shake out one way or another....but it won't ruin Indy's local economy (remember, many CART teams and the former CART HQ is here)....

There are other facets of teh racing industry that would welcome those talented people with open arms...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 14 Jan 2004, 22:41 (Ref:838545)   #9
Mags
Veteran

I would think that would be TG's sole purpose in buying CART; to put the show out of business. No competition.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 23:11 (Ref:838579)   #10
suzmac
Racer

United States
Cleveland, Ohio
suzmac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Mags!!!

Sue
Old 14 Jan 2004, 23:45 (Ref:838616)   #11
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Yeah, I'm alittle offended by what Kalkhoven said.

We're now supposed to believe that he cares anything about Americans out of work? CART hasn't cared about being identified as an American series in years, but now we're supposed to back him up, because American jobs are on the line? This series has been internationalized to the point where its not recognizable as an American series anyway, yet now, he wants me to wave the flag for him?

Damn, I'm ramblin...
Yeah, well the same could be said about a LOT ofAmerican-based companies who take their jobs to foreign countries and leave thousands stranded in THIS country without jobs!
And what about dear o'l President Bush signing that bill which will aid illegal immigrants in this country!?
And NASCAR bringing in Toyota?
And the influx of foreign drivers into the IRL?

So please, spare me the "CART doesn't care about Americans" rhetoric. It's, unfortunately, happening all over the place.
It's "The American Way", I guess.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 23:49 (Ref:838618)   #12
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by MLM
So please, spare me the "CART doesn't care about Americans" rhetoric. It's, unfortunately, happening all over the place.
It's "The American Way", I guess.
Good Point.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 00:03 (Ref:838631)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by The Snout
Well, as far as the Americans out of work, there's nothing factually wrong with what's he's saying. I assume most people employed by teams of which most (if not all) are based inside the United States are American, that includes CART staff, Admin staff for each team etc who don't go to the races. So really, all he's stating is fact in that particular case.

You may have merit in taking the series off shore. The way Asia is going ahead, China, Korea, Malaysia etc, I could see the series move down to that part of the globe and thrive. Perhaps the motto 'use it or lose it' should finally be applied in this case. You'd still keep Canada and Mexico though, they support the series.

GP I don't know if you're as angry as you seem to be or if it's just the whole uncertain situation talking to the point where you're just ready to throw you hands up. The fact that you stick around tells me there still fire in the belly for this series to pull through.
Snout, your last paragraph says it all. I'm both ****ed off and ready to throw my hands in the air.

KK, really touched a nerve when he mentioned the America jobs that would be lost. I've been complaining for quite some time now, about the lack of American drivers in this series, and an American chassis, but to no avail. There's been nothing American about this series in years. Now KK wants me to get all emotional about American jobs being lost, well forget it. He's years to late on that one. Save the crocodile tears for someone else. Tim has it right, they'll find work.

I still stand strong, that if Canada, Mexico, or China for that matter, can make this thing work, than take it. Bring in some Chinese drivers, and some more Mexicans, that'll work. They care, we don't. I truly believe, that its done here, Americans don't give a damn. Anyway, I'm tired of Americans looking like the weak link in this series, like its our fault that we don't support it. Take the ball and run with it Canada. You can use a big name series. It'll do you good to have some responsibility.

As long as there are 2 open wheel series, the "championship" of both series will be relatively meaningless here. Maybe a fresh start in China would work for OWRS. Hell, F1 is going there, maybe OWRS can tag along!

I'm pretty much of a "dumbed down" fan I guess. I like action and passing, and lead changes. I like the relatively cheap, low tech cars, that provide that action. I like to see American drivers competing with the best in the world. I like Indy to. I like the fans there also, they don't look down there noses at the other series out there. I like the TV contract, and the teams, drivers and sponsors they have.

I know what I'll be watching this season, regardless of what happens.

Last edited by macdaddy; 15 Jan 2004 at 06:40.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 00:07 (Ref:838638)   #14
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I still stand strong, that if Canada, Mexico, or China for that matter, can make this thing work, than take it. Bring in some Chinese drivers, and some more Mexicans, that'll work. They care, we don't. I truly believe, that its done here, Americans don't give a damn. Anyway, I'm tired of Americans looking like the weak link in this series, like its our fault that we don't support it. Take the ball and run with it Canada. You can use a big name series. It'll do you good to have some responsibility.
Well, as far as I can tell, having 5 of the strongest races in the series DOES take a lot of responsibility. Players has done more for this series than you can imagine
Old 15 Jan 2004, 00:10 (Ref:838641)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
And Players is gone now.

Who's next?

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Jan 2004, 00:14 (Ref:838643)   #16
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is the problem I see with KK's attempt to pander:

He is saying OWRS needs to have a series this year because he is concerned that Americans will lose jobs, but yet KK the great American supporter himself isn't even considering hiring an American to drive for his team.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 00:18 (Ref:838648)   #17
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by corkholio
Here is the problem I see with KK's attempt to pander:

He is saying OWRS needs to have a series this year because he is concerned that Americans will lose jobs, but yet KK the great American supporter himself isn't even considering hiring an American to drive for his team.
Name me one good American driver to hire? Available?
Old 15 Jan 2004, 00:18 (Ref:838649)   #18
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Cork your the man!

I rambled on for 4 paragraphs, and I couldn't have stated my frustration any better! Pandering, thats the word!

His partners aren't doing much in that dept. either, are they!

Thanks!

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Jan 2004, 00:23 (Ref:838657)   #19
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
GP, the IRL may have more American drivers in their series, but only one of them (Americans) has a chance to win at every race, and that's Sam Hornish. He's the only American who has a good car week in and week out.

In defense of the CCWS, starting with Pook and now OWRS, they have already started to bring in young American drivers from Atlantics and they plan to continue this trend.

I think it's nice to have a driver from your own country to cheer on, but it's not the most important thing. It should not matter what country your from, but who's the most qualified. I don't care if ALL the drivers are from Mongolia or from Congo!! I just want to see the best drivers available in ChampCars, no matter what their Nationality is!!!

Last edited by Dov; 15 Jan 2004 at 00:27.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 00:25 (Ref:838660)   #20
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
GP, the IRL may have more American drivers in their series, but only one of them (Americans) has a chance to win at every race, and that's Sam Hornish. He's the only American who has a good car week in and week out.

In defense of the CCWS, starting with Pook and now OWRS, they have already started to bring in young American drivers from Atlantics and they plan to continue this trend.

I think it's nice to have a driver from your own country to cheer on, but it's not the most important thing. It should not matter what country your from, but who's the most qualified. I don't care if ALL the drivers are from Mongolia or from Congo!! I just want to see the best drivers in the world in ChampCars, no matter what their Nationality is!!!
Well Said!!

Canadian races are VERY well attended, and, until this year, we have never had a champion to cheer on! I'm a RACING fan.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 00:29 (Ref:838664)   #21
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
They certainly don't seem to be too many in the IRL, either!
There's been quite a bit of "pandering" there, too, in the last few years.
And Petty hiring Fittipaldi last year....that's not "pandering"?

BTW, GP, who are RHR and Allmendinger...chopped liver?
True, there aren't too many good American drivers in open wheel...most of them are in NASCAR. It would be nice to see more American drivers in open wheel racing, but not the entire field.
And I will agree that open wheel racing needs to get back to reconnecting with its fan base in this country and NOT connect with fans in Korea or South Africa (or elsewhere)
This country has been "The Melting Pot" for centuries.
And I might agree that having ONE series might make the difference.

Diversity is what made the US the country it is (Canada, too )
And it's not a bad thing to have in racing, be it the kinds of tracks or in its driver pool, IMO.

Last edited by MLM; 15 Jan 2004 at 00:31.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 00:34 (Ref:838672)   #22
Mags
Veteran

I'm afraid I don't really think RHR is that great of a driver (sorry!) AJ, sure. But don't forget it's not as simple as the driver, there are MANY other things you have to consider. Sometimes you need to bring money to the team, too. Does the driver need to get paid?
Old 15 Jan 2004, 00:36 (Ref:838673)   #23
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Well Said!!

Canadian races are VERY well attended, and, until this year, we have never had a champion to cheer on! I'm a RACING fan.
Well, we did have JVill in '95, but from the early 80's through the mid 90's, we only had Scott Goodyear to cheer on and PT in the early 90's....there was a few other Canadian drivers, but none worth mentioning. You said it best, Mags.....I'm first and foremost A Racing Fan!!!
Old 15 Jan 2004, 00:37 (Ref:838674)   #24
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Jon Fogarty, Joey Hand, Rocky Moran Jr, and RHR, all of whom has won races in a development series that was suppposedly a feeder to Champ Cars, but sadly lack the Mel Gibson like Aussie movie star looks that Christian Murchinson has. Heck there are quite a few non-Americans that came to America and won in Atlantics too, which just shows how concerned KK is about Americans and when he himself hires people from Europe instead of people who have worked in the US.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 00:37 (Ref:838675)   #25
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What has CART as an organization done to purposely hurt american drivers? I suppose it was by heavily marketing Andretti and before that Unser Jr. as well.