Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Mar 2001, 10:11 (Ref:72218)   #1
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally weve got some stuff happening.
On RPM today Mark Larkham announced his new sponsor. ICS smart cards. The car looked great in its bright yellow with the green and black stipe. It is a three year deal. So that will keep larko around for a lot longer. He also said they were trying to get a second car onto the grid at sometime through the year

Also on rpm did anyone see the peice that Neil Crompton did at gibson motorsport? In one of the shots there were a row of cars under car covers and a falcon shell, as well you could see the bonet of another car. It looked a bit like a 2 litre bmw, anyone know what it was? I am curious now
Old 18 Mar 2001, 13:06 (Ref:72268)   #2
tickfordchick
Racer

tickfordchick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOOOOO HOOOOO!! I missed the season premier of RPM but am sooooo happy to hear that Larko has a new sponsor and a long term deal ... the man is a battler and he never ceases to amaze me ... he derserves a bit of luck. good stuff, mtpanorama ... thanks for letting us know ... especially those of us who missed it!!
Old 19 Mar 2001, 00:54 (Ref:72600)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Larko's car certainly looks pretty good..and Im happy he has a good sponsor on board for a few more years and hope he does manage a second car for the latter half of the year...no idea on who he would get to drive it though.

but the car looks nice and now lets see if it goes as fast as it looks.

as for the crompton piece on rpm ..i did manage to see some other cars ..im sure there was still a Wynns commodore there somewhere ..and i think I saw a GTP car of some sort...maybe that was the BMW you were referring to..but its a pretty good set up gibson have and Im looking forward to seeing the build process on the new AU falcon they showed.
Old 19 Mar 2001, 06:12 (Ref:72635)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you saw a Wynns commodore, you wouldn't be seeing things

As well as running Lowndsey and Crompton in the SCS, Gibson run Paul Dumbrell (Wynns Commodore) and Trucky Parsons (plain white commodore) in the Konica series.
Old 19 Mar 2001, 07:04 (Ref:72638)   #5
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was pleased to see that Marl Larkham had organised another sponsor. He does deserve to do well, as does Crompton who looked to be out in the cold for too long.

So are Gibson Motorsport the only team/shop that prepare Fords and Holdens?
Old 19 Mar 2001, 10:26 (Ref:72663)   #6
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
I have a photo
[img]http://www.sportal.com.au/photos/gallery/0990gallery.jpg[img]
Old 19 Mar 2001, 10:29 (Ref:72664)   #7
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Sorry, didnt work so try this

http://www.sportal.com.au/photos/gal...990gallery.jpg
Old 26 Mar 2001, 23:52 (Ref:74647)   #8
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
how does this bloke keep on getting sponsorship dollars, mitre 10 for years and now that yellow mob for another 3......what do they see in him, 30 seconds of replaying a crash is better than running in position 10-15?......
Old 27 Mar 2001, 05:45 (Ref:74679)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dunno....i like Larko

Apparently he worked really hard to get his sponosors, and keep them, but it was sad that M10 pulled the plug. All of the folk i ever talked to involved with M10 really liked the bloke....oh well.

Secondly he is a hell of a nice bloke, doesn't have a big head on him like Skaife et al (or nose in Skaifeys case).

He is a good steerer...how many drivers won a race last year?

And don't forget at Bathurst 1999, he got more Tv coverage than any other car in the field...which would stand up as a good sales pitch.

One last thing, it's good to see an unknown sponsor come on board. How many people here honestly new about 'GMC' before they started sponosoring Canberra??
Old 27 Mar 2001, 06:29 (Ref:74683)   #10
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Larkham never lost the Mitre 10 sponsorship - they never "let him go"...the fact is that Mitre 10 do not exist anymore, and therefore, are not in a position to sponsor anyone. I am sure, that if Mitre 10 were still in operation, they would continue the sponsorship of Larkham.

I am not a fan of Larkham, but there is one thing that is undeniable - the guy gets publicity. Apart from apparently being a good bloke, and someone the sponsors can rely on to be at functions - make all the right people feel important, he manages to always get his name in the papers, get his car on TV, and in general, stay in the news. And that is what the sponsors want. It doesnt matter what he drives like, as long as that car (and thus the sponsor name) is in the line of vision of the viewing public. Bottom line (and there always is one).
Old 27 Mar 2001, 07:44 (Ref:74689)   #11
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, doesn't he hold the lap record for a V8 Supercar around Bathurst from his 1999 pole position ?
Old 27 Mar 2001, 10:52 (Ref:74698)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Actually that is something that he could have done a bit better on the weekend...when he pulled off to the inside of the track, he could have parked side on to the camera, that way getting the new sponsor on TV every lap

Diabando- I could have sworn that i walked past a M10 store today... what's the go?
Old 27 Mar 2001, 12:40 (Ref:74723)   #13
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crash,

Hard words indeed! I'm with Buckshot, the guy is good. It's not like his like Ralfie or someone else totally useless is it?

At least we can agree that Mrs Skaife must be very happy with Mark. With a nose like that.....
Old 27 Mar 2001, 23:51 (Ref:74859)   #14
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Crash - Mitre 10 are in liquidation, therefore some stores are still open (recouping money). You will find over the next 12 months, they will disappear one by one, and probably taken over by a new hardware store (probably Home hardware - you know, the one with the dog)

Sad stuff eh? I kinda liked Mitre 10....

Last edited by Diabando; 27 Mar 2001 at 23:52.
Old 28 Mar 2001, 03:26 (Ref:74881)   #15
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Very harsh indeed. Mark would have to be one of the nicest blokes around in V8 supercar. He has done very well to get where he is today. He has been involved in a few accidents ofver the years but you will be hard pressed to find one that was his fault.
Fastest lap of Bathurst ,led the race for a while. Won a shell series race last year, won Indy support races.
Formula Holden runner up (to Mark Skaife)

Need we say more!
Old 28 Mar 2001, 04:24 (Ref:74883)   #16
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he is just unlucky like Mr Crompton. When given the right equipment and no idiots involving him in their brain fades he can deliver.

I was really miffed when I heard Mitre 10 had pulled his sponsorship but hopefully with his new sponsor his young team can continue grow and see some results.

Just remember his team is only 1 year old seeing as he left the Stone Brothers to start his own team.

1 Year old team with a race win - sounds pretty good to me.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 10:53 (Ref:75404)   #17
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was out on his own before, you know... and he made a mess of it, it was only when he started getting help from people well versed in Tourers that he started to make some ground.

Before that he was trying to apply Racing Car principles to tin tops... except that his airjacks were made from Peugeot torque tube steel... that was definitely touring cars stuff...

Yes, he works hard for the sponsors, and he's the consummate racing driver of the nineties... with the briefcase in hand, suits in the wardrobe of the transporter... ready to meet the board at any time.

And incredibly popular, when compared to the other luminarly already mentioned. At Lakeside when they ran against each other in FBrabhams he told me there was just so many people coming up and telling him they hoped he'd blow the doors of the big-headed (I won't stop at the nose!) one.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 11:53 (Ref:75419)   #18
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mitre 10 pulled out before they went into liquidation. It was also head office's decision, not any of the stores (who all liked him and the deal they had).

Larkham does an excellent job to keep his sponsors. He does all the right things by them, which is why Mitre 10 were around for so long, as they received value for money both on and off the track and ICS will be getting the same treatment.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 01:01 (Ref:2439062)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The beauty of motorsport sponsorship thru photography

When there was still love, albeit not cash, from ICS Smartcard...

Then reality hits...

And a make do deal comes along..

The theme is similar to the blue car with the same brand aboard....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Apr 2009, 06:02 (Ref:2439119)   #20
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
8 years, epic dig!
Old 1 Dec 2011, 03:56 (Ref:2993784)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Larko's racing team always had that 'integrated' look... even the transporter...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Dec 2011, 06:14 (Ref:2993802)   #22
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR: That one should probably go in the 'Team Transporters' thread also?