Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Oct 2016, 21:20 (Ref:3681655)   #1
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
SuperUtes

SuperUtes to launch in 2017

New series to launch in 2017 utilising production based turbo-diesel dual cab utes currently available for sale in the Australian marke
Old 20 Oct 2016, 21:33 (Ref:3681658)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wonder what happened to the control chassis idea floated for this class?

Here's hoping a July start doesnt put the prep houses out of business, with no work (and therefore no income!) for over half a year
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 20 Oct 2016, 21:40 (Ref:3681660)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Here's hoping a July start doesnt put the prep houses out of business, with no work (and therefore no income!) for over half a year
Control chassis was the previous promoters idea and at the time was part of the reasoning for the series going under
Old 20 Oct 2016, 23:04 (Ref:3681675)   #4
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Remember that the work doesn't start the day of the first race meeting though. I'd suggest they'll be flat out getting the things built, developed, tested and race ready for mid way through next year, that's assuming the tech regs are locked down in every way at this stage, which they may not be yet.
Old 21 Oct 2016, 03:25 (Ref:3681709)   #5
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I think the licencing fee that Supercars wanted per chassis for their IP put the kybosh on that particular idea.
Old 21 Oct 2016, 05:21 (Ref:3681717)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do we really need it?

The Utes as they are now have justabout come to a natural conclusion, why not funnel the drivers, funding, effort etc... into bolstering classes we already have instead of starting up another new one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez
Of course the last time a series was mooted for similar style of vehicle it barely got off the ground.
Exactly, i think it only lasted the one season, it had some Nissan backing as well.
Old 21 Oct 2016, 13:03 (Ref:3681765)   #7
snappa
Racer

snappa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
I think the licencing fee that Supercars wanted per chassis for their IP put the kybosh on that particular idea.
Word on the street last year was that a couple of the board members were the reason that the Utes idea failed to materialise. Every time the Utes team put forward a proposal supposedly the same two veto'd them and sent them packing. Word was they used the excuse that their IP was being infringed.
Old 20 Oct 2016, 23:30 (Ref:3681680)   #8
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of course the last time a series was mooted for similar style of vehicle it barely got off the ground.

However the tradies Utes appear far more popular when it was last attempted.
Old 21 Oct 2016, 03:20 (Ref:3681708)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
MOTORSPORT: SuperUtes for 2017

Personally im a little unsure if these facts are true, or maybe left over from the previous ideas

The technical specification for the pick-ups will include a control rollcage, cosmetic aero additions, a control Motec ECU and the possibility of a control transmission and rear axle assembly.

The performance kit will include an exhaust, front and rear shock absorbers and springs, six-piston front and four-piston rear brake callipers and front and rear discs, a pedal box and master-cylinder with brake-bias adjustment, control tyres and control wheels.
Old 21 Oct 2016, 05:22 (Ref:3681718)   #10
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How many variations are the usual low-slung 2WD these days?

Amarok isn't. Triton isn't. I don't think the Navara, Ranger, Colorado/D-Max, or BT50 are either.
Old 21 Oct 2016, 06:40 (Ref:3681724)   #11
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Had to check the calendar! Nope, it ain't April 1.
Really?....Are this mob fair dinkum?
The existing ute class of racing had some small measure of entertainment value going for it, if you were into that sort of thing, but deadset.......watching a bunch of dual cab Triton's, Navara's, Hilux's, Amorok's, Ranger's, Colorado's etc racing against each other, is bordering on pathetic. What's next? Bus racing?? I'm sure they could do a deal with MAN, Scania, Volvo, Mercedes etc
Oh wait.....this is the same crowd who bring you stadium super trucks, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.
Old 21 Oct 2016, 07:40 (Ref:3681730)   #12
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boring!

Just because something is popular in the market place, doesn't mean it be popular with spectators.

2 ton 4WD's (4wd height /look) powered by 4cyl turbo diesels racing around has zero appeal to me. And I owned a twincab 4wd diesel for 12 years.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 21 Oct 2016, 11:50 (Ref:3681757)   #13
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No disrespect to the kiwis but if the Ssangyong series is anything to go by it will be a good time to go to the bar.
Old 22 Oct 2016, 19:04 (Ref:3681976)   #14
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
No disrespect to the kiwis but if the Ssangyong series is anything to go by it will be a good time to go to the bar.
Sizzle,

You obviously have never witnessed a Ssangyong Series race other wise you would not be bagging the series. Ask anybody that was actually at the ITM Pukekohe round of the V8 Supercars last year and many would agree that some of the most exciting racing was provided by the 30 car field of Ssangyong utes running 3 and at times 4 wide around turn One, which makes for very exciting racing as they are not exactly slow around corners, just slow in a straight line. Our utes also use petrol engines so no belching black smoke from these utes thats for certain.

Last edited by Mark Petch; 22 Oct 2016 at 19:26.
Old 23 Oct 2016, 12:50 (Ref:3682106)   #15
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Sizzle,

You obviously have never witnessed a Ssangyong Series race other wise you would not be bagging the series. Ask anybody that was actually at the ITM Pukekohe round of the V8 Supercars last year and many would agree that some of the most exciting racing was provided by the 30 car field of Ssangyong utes running 3 and at times 4 wide around turn One, which makes for very exciting racing as they are not exactly slow around corners, just slow in a straight line. Our utes also use petrol engines so no belching black smoke from these utes thats for certain.
I was at Puke last year Mark, I am sorry I found them to be boring as.
Old 22 Oct 2016, 06:55 (Ref:3681853)   #16
Wazzi
Rookie

Australia
Bilpin NSW
Wazzi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw these things race overseas, What a joke, slow , boring, lots of black smoke, nothing exicting in the racing at all. Wouldn't bother watching them.
And I love the current utes series
Old 22 Oct 2016, 11:56 (Ref:3681898)   #17
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
When I saw this on Twitter I thought it was an early April 1 joke...
Old 22 Oct 2016, 23:39 (Ref:3682013)   #18
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They looked reasonably quick on the telly at least.
Old 23 Oct 2016, 19:27 (Ref:3682296)   #19
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Number one priority for future ute series - cheap to repair
Old 24 Oct 2016, 01:20 (Ref:3682365)   #20
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Number one priority for future ute series - cheap to repair
Easy to say, but if it is going to be production-based it is impossible to make a reality.

If you want to make them cheap to fix they have to be bespoke, which makes them more expensive to make.
Old 23 Oct 2016, 19:30 (Ref:3682298)   #21
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Is there really demand for this series by drivers and manufacturers?
Old 23 Oct 2016, 23:19 (Ref:3682340)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Is there really demand for this series by drivers and manufacturers?
The real issue is that with Ford closing manufacturing here, the Ute is no longer being produced. Holden won't be too far behind, being only a year away from the same fate.

There is zero market relevance in 2 products that the consumer cannot buy any more.

Back in the 1990's there was an attempt by Mr Siddle to get a utes series up, 4 cylinder ones, with support from Nissan amongst others. That few people remember its existence could be telling as to how successful that was..

The concept of multiple manufacturers being represented is a good one, not so the importers can get involved necessarily, but perhaps that the dealers can.

Mr Harris for example is already backed by a Sydney Mazda dealer, despite driving another brand and living in another state. Imagine parlaying that into a West End Mazda BT50 versus a Western Toyota Hilux.. paritied to within an inch of their lives.. looking tough with parts & accessories available through the OEM dealer network....

But will the punters watch?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Oct 2016, 03:20 (Ref:3682373)   #23
Umai Naa
Veteran

As it is, the current ute series is already a few years behind, still running FG and VE panels.
Old 24 Oct 2016, 03:35 (Ref:3682377)   #24
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The solution to this is simple (or not): Run various marque bodies in the Stadium trucks.
Old 24 Oct 2016, 03:37 (Ref:3682379)   #25
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
The solution to this is simple (or not): Run various marque bodies in the Stadium trucks.
We dont control stadium trucks though, Its an american thing, that pays special visits to aust