Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 May 2001, 14:06 (Ref:97262)   #1
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Schumacher takes 5th Victory at Monaco

Let the discussion begin!

Monaco: Grand Prix
LAP 76
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P. No Driver Team - Engine Tyres Gaps/Laps Average Stops
1. 1 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari B 1h47'22"561 Km/h 1
2. 2 BARRICHELLO Ferrari B + 0'00"431 146.872 Km/h 1
3. 18 IRVINE Jaguar M + 0'30"698 146.185 Km/h 1
4. 10 VILLENEUVE BAR Honda B + 0'32"454 146.146 Km/h 1
5. 4 COULTHARD McLaren Mercedes B 1 lap(s) 1
6. 22 ALESI Prost Acer M 1 lap(s) 2
7. 8 BUTTON Benetton Renault M 1 lap(s) 1
8. 14 VERSTAPPEN Arrows Asiatech B 1 lap(s) 1
9. 15 BERNOLDI Arrows Asiatech B 2 lap(s) 1
10. 17 RAIKKONEN Sauber Petronas B 5 lap(s) 2
11. 5 R.SCHUMACHER Williams BMW M 21 lap(s) 1
12. 20 MARQUES Minardi European M 22 lap(s) 1
13. 21 ALONSO Minardi European M 24 lap(s) 1
14. 11 FRENTZEN Jordan Honda B 29 lap(s) 0
15. 7 FISICHELLA Benetton Renault M 35 lap(s) 0
16. 12 TRULLI Jordan Honda B 48 lap(s) 0
17. 23 BURTI Prost Acer M 54 lap(s) 1
18. 19 DE LA ROSA Jaguar M 60 lap(s) 0
19. 3 HAKKINEN McLaren Mercedes B 63 lap(s) 2
20. 9 PANIS BAR Honda B 65 lap(s) 3
21. 6 MONTOYA Williams BMW M 76 lap(s) 0
22. 16 HEIDFELD Sauber Petronas B 78 lap(s) 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RĂ©sultats non officiels - Information Courtesy of F1 Live: http://www.f1-live.com
Old 27 May 2001, 14:09 (Ref:97264)   #2
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do we always post the same flippin topics!! Aargh! I know he didn't do anything special, but I think it's great for Enrique Bernoldi to get LOTS of coverage. Barely saw TGF!
Old 27 May 2001, 14:18 (Ref:97272)   #3
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not really the same topic as usual, there is something special about a fifth Monaco Victory!!

Go Schumi !!!!

Old 27 May 2001, 14:25 (Ref:97278)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tristan, we saw the battles on the track, which is what is usually done. Most of the public would rather see racing than cars driving around the track alone.

Anyway, good race for the top 6. Onward to Montreal! (which often features a pass for position that is not the result of mistake or mechanical failure!)
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 May 2001, 14:39 (Ref:97282)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
Why do we always post the same flippin topics!! Aargh! I know he didn't do anything special, but I think it's great for Enrique Bernoldi to get LOTS of coverage. Barely saw TGF!
Cuz I'll bet your computer is as close to your TV as mine is!!!!

I thought DC managed to acheive a decent result all things considered. He looked unusually ruffled on the grid and I'll bet that the inside of his helmet is covered with spit from his cursing at Bernoldi. The fact that he kept his cool is the mark of a maturing driver. He still has points in every race, and he made the best of a bad situation.

The fact that Jaguar's only points have been by Irvine at Monaco demonstrates Eddie's talent (no matter what you think of him as a person). The difference between this year and last being the fact that the Jag ran closer to the front all race. Maybe that new aero package really is helping. Even PDLR seemed to be more competitive during the race until he retired. I understand that he didn't have the new rear-end for qualifying, did he have it for the race?

Also the Podium recalled quite dramatically 1997's race, with schuey first, Barrichello second in the Stewart(now Jaguar) and Irv third in the second Ferrari.
Old 27 May 2001, 14:49 (Ref:97290)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it was a great race for DC, after all.

What McLaren would do with this launch control ? Wait for more halts, until DC lost his chance in WDC ?
Old 27 May 2001, 14:57 (Ref:97296)   #7
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!

I didn't think that anybody drove a particularly spectacular race - the race on the whole was (IMO) pretty dull. But Irvine and Alesi drove well. I felt very sorry for Hakkinen - how much bad luck can one man have?

Traction control appears to have completely screwed up the Williams reliability, and it was a real shame to see Ralf drop out.

It was interesting to hear Murray Walker describe DC's drive as being "barnstorming". Precisely which bit of it was barnstorming? The 40 laps behind Bernoldi (great coverage for the Arrows sponsors there!) or the overtaking approximately one car?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 27 May 2001, 15:10 (Ref:97304)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Barnstorming was the retirements of the cars ahead of him.
Old 27 May 2001, 15:21 (Ref:97309)   #9
garyegrant
Rookie

garyegrant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the barnstorming refers to his set of lap records which allowed him to get ahead of Verstappen, Alonso and Button, and showed that he would have given TGF a race had he started as planned.

I don't think its fair to criticise DC after he was let down by the team at the start, and there was just no way that he could get past the painfully slow yet stubborn Bernoldi without causing an accident. It wasn't a great race by David, but he did well to get 2 points.

Clearly the star of the race was Eddie, though I'm not a big Jaguar fan. But I agree, it was a very dull race once Mika was forced to give up the chase.
Old 27 May 2001, 15:55 (Ref:97328)   #10
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about that Jag"ROAR" Here's hoping that this is a turning point. Good for Coulthard in not letting his starting grid problems affect his race brain. It must have been extremely frustrating not being able to dispose of Bernoldi. I also think that Villeneuve drove a good race. It appears that he's learning the secret of Monaco, be smooth and patient, something that Montoya hasn't picked up on yet.
On a final note: traction control at Monaco is bad. It's processional enough, let the drivers control the throttle and lets see the cars get a little wiggly when the power is applied.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 27 May 2001, 16:39 (Ref:97340)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

I don't think so, enemy-ace.

Monaco is a non-standard race, where skills and concentration are essential.

EJ suits well in this circuit, and Jag did make well enough not failuring, letting him do his job.
Old 27 May 2001, 18:07 (Ref:97354)   #12
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques' first Monaco race wasn't that brilliant. Quite the opposite really. He's learned the track, and impressed today.

Irvine did well, but for me, the star of the race was Bernoldi. Keeping DC at bay for that long, and not making the mistake of letting him by as they were being passed as well, gives him that honour IMO.

TGF winning was predictable, I'm afraid, when DC stalled and he had the entire front row to himself. He slowed down a lot towards the end, 4 tenths isn't an awful big victory margin, what if Rubens had overtaken him there?!
Old 27 May 2001, 20:50 (Ref:97435)   #13
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi

Monaco is a non-standard race, where skills and concentration are essential.
I agree, but I classify the skills and concentration aspect as parts of being smooth. You can't overpower Monaco, you have to be precise and not get ahead of yourself. Something which i believe Montoya was doing the majority of the weekend.
As for Jaguar, I think Irvine's pace was excellent, as he was only 1/2 minute (approx.) behind at the finish. And as we know Monaco is not an engine track, so I would hazard to say that the Jaguar chassis showed well.
As for Bernoldi R, I don't rate him highly enough to think that he wasn't helped by the tight confines of Monaco and traction control. I would like to see him do it without trax and see if he could be as smooth with Coulthard all over his gearbox.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 27 May 2001, 21:05 (Ref:97441)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace

As for Jaguar, I think Irvine's pace was excellent, as he was only 1/2 minute (approx.) behind at the finish. And as we know Monaco is not an engine track, so I would hazard to say that the Jaguar chassis showed well.
Agreed. There's hope on that chassis.

Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace

As for Bernoldi R, I don't rate him highly enough to think that he wasn't helped by the tight confines of Monaco and traction control. I would like to see him do it without trax and see if he could be as smooth with Coulthard all over his gearbox.
Sure. He made a great job there, but he took advantage of the track to do it.
Old 28 May 2001, 16:18 (Ref:97874)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course he took advantage of the track to keep Mr. Crybaby McLaren Pilot behind him. What should he have done - discounted the track?

If you are going to let little boys steer remote control cars around a street course and call it racing, Bernoldi did a magnificent job of using every gizmo, gadget and bump in the road to his advantage. As he should have done. And I am amazed and delighted that he managed to keep DC behind him when the pair of them moved over to be lapped - and did not swerve back across and chop off DC's nose or wing. There are more experienced pilots on the piste who have done that in the past and will do that in a heartbeat to keep their line. Bernoldi is going to be a pilot to reckon with, Uncle Ron and his goons to the contrary.
Old 28 May 2001, 17:44 (Ref:97911)   #16
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Really... time will tell won't it!
Old 28 May 2001, 20:35 (Ref:98001)   #17
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by garyegrant
I don't think its fair to criticise DC after he was let down by the team at the start, and there was just no way that he could get past the painfully slow yet stubborn Bernoldi without causing an accident.
Tell me...how did Verstappen do it then?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 29 May 2001, 00:33 (Ref:98102)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!

I think they drive for the same team last time I looked..