Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jun 2013, 12:42 (Ref:3270519)   #26
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i notice a lot of people on twitter are asking why there's a red bull young driver scheme if they don't ever intend to promote them to the actual main f1 team.
Sort of depends on what the mission statement of the young driver scheme is, to produce really good drivers or world champions. I mean, if you only get 1-2 Vettels out of all these drivers then that's probably a fair trade.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 12:43 (Ref:3270520)   #27
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
It's LeMans 2014 on the grid to start the race and it's not Webber driving either of the cars in the first stint... Does that make him still a number 2? Perhaps even a Number 3 of a team?
Generally speaking, in the pro sportscar teams, there should be no #1, #2 or #3 - that's the beauty of sportscar racing, the tendency is to idolise the cars, not the drivers......
Old 27 Jun 2013, 13:00 (Ref:3270534)   #28
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
It's LeMans 2014 on the grid to start the race and it's not Webber driving either of the cars in the first stint... Does that make him still a number 2? Perhaps even a Number 3 of a team?
No such thing as an order of drivers in Sportscars. Traditionally whoever sets the qualifying time starts but this doesn't have to happen in LMP1. Most of the time, they fit the driver to the conditions...
Old 27 Jun 2013, 13:03 (Ref:3270536)   #29
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I'm sure some of the front running teams have kept Kobayashi's number. On his day, he can be fabulously quick and he seems to have cut the crashing from his racing. He's only going to mature further in the WEC.
Much as most people liked Koyashi, he does not deserve to be in the best car on the grid. Next thing, someone will suggesting Heidfeld again!
Old 27 Jun 2013, 13:15 (Ref:3270548)   #30
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In terms of Webber's replacement, I'd be very surprised if it's Kimi. It's a 'number 2' seat that will be filled... and by a definite number 2 driver, possibly somebody that could grow into a number one as Vettel's understudy/support, but not somebody that will cantankerously rock that apple cart there.

In terms of Webber's move to Porsche. Given the fact that it's been an open secret for so long, I wonder if Red Bull will be sponsoring Porsche in 2014 ?
Old 27 Jun 2013, 13:23 (Ref:3270559)   #31
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Much as most people liked Koyashi, he does not deserve to be in the best car on the grid. Next thing, someone will suggesting Heidfeld again!
Well it's not about "deserving". The F1 grid has never has a direct positive correlation between driving talent and competitiveness of car...

My point is Red Bull may be after a number 2, which is what Kobayashi most certainly would be,
Old 27 Jun 2013, 13:23 (Ref:3270560)   #32
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
There will be a driver leaving Force India at the end of the year......
Old 27 Jun 2013, 13:28 (Ref:3270565)   #33
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
There will be a driver leaving Force India at the end of the year......
diResta would be a very plausible permanent 'number 2' a la Webber.

JEV or Ricciardo would be a 'number 2' that could potentially become a 'number 1'
Old 27 Jun 2013, 13:29 (Ref:3270567)   #34
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Webber doesn't take his bad luck with him. RBR would be insane not to hire Kimi. With Merc having a very good pairing of drivers and an up and coming car, RBR will need to do everything it can to maintain it's superiority....especially with all the design changes that are coming.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 13:32 (Ref:3270571)   #35
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
I hope Webber doesn't take his bad luck with him. RBR would be insane not to hire Kimi. With Merc having a very good pairing of drivers and an up and coming car, RBR will need to do everything it can to maintain it's superiority....especially with all the design changes that are coming.
This is why they would be insane to hire him.

Horner : "Kimi Multi 21 !"
Kimi : "F**k off !"
Old 27 Jun 2013, 13:36 (Ref:3270577)   #36
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another point.....with Webber and Schumacher no longer have an interest in driving F1, I wonder if there are others out there who feel the same way based on the direction it is going?
Old 27 Jun 2013, 13:39 (Ref:3270578)   #37
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Another point.....with Webber and Schumacher no longer have an interest in driving F1, I wonder if there are others out there who feel the same way based on the direction it is going?
We're coming into a golden era of sports car racing. GT racing is in rude health and LMP is getting better after a couple of worrying years. The bottom line is that it offers paid employment for high calibre drivers, whereas F1 is increasingly becoming reliant on funded drivers.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 13:40 (Ref:3270579)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But both young and experienced drivers remain starry-eyed for F1 success......
Old 27 Jun 2013, 14:53 (Ref:3270631)   #39
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
I think one of the Toro Rosso driver is better for Red Bull, as Kimi Raikkonen.
Me too. Specially Ricciardo fits better.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 15:08 (Ref:3270637)   #40
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Or he will be told to move over for Vettel at every opportunity. But will he?
He's got to get close to Vettel first
Old 27 Jun 2013, 15:11 (Ref:3270640)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
I think one of the Toro Rosso driver is better for Red Bull, as Kimi Raikkonen.
It fits in with their young driver scheme. I think If Kimi did go he'd be making a mistake. Finger Boy's got it sown up at RBR and he'd make sure Kimi was stifled, just like Webber was.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 15:13 (Ref:3270643)   #42
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Heidfeld with another opportunity? Why not?
Old 27 Jun 2013, 15:19 (Ref:3270645)   #43
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
This is why they would be insane to hire him.

Horner : "Kimi Multi 21 !"
Kimi : "F**k off !"
nice one!

the one year i can think of where the team wasnt focused primarily on Kimi was 2009 and they paid him to leave after that.

obviously impossible for me to know what caused his lack of motivation that year, but i would think as a team principle of a top team you would be compelled to find out why and even wonder what happens if it occurs again.

if you are going for only the most talented and popular free agent then its Kimi hands down but in terms of who will give you more commitment both on and off the track i dont think it is as clear.

tough choice imo.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 15:46 (Ref:3270651)   #44
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
oh and also sad to see Webber leaving. im sure we will get more of his reasons as the season goes on or ends but there is no doubt he still has a tremendous amount to offer any team on the grid and the sport as a whole.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 16:39 (Ref:3270675)   #45
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Agree. Sad to see Webber leaving F1.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 17:12 (Ref:3270696)   #46
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Farwell Mark. Fair play.

I look forward to watching him at Le Mans next year.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 18:31 (Ref:3270739)   #47
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
In the biggest shock in motorsport for some time it was announced today that several F1 journalists had got a story completely wrong.

Reports are now coming in of minor injuries in the F1 press room as colleagues are being repeatedly struck by toys being thrown from a number of baby carriages as Mark Webber confirmed what everyone apart from the ‘most respected voices in Formula One’ had already been saying for ages, that he’ll be leaving the FIA WEC’s feeder series to join the big show from 2014.

Mark Webber’s PR representative has reportedly been expelled from an until now undisclosed secret society “The Gravy Train” for failing to disclose the story “exclusively” to all of its members at the same time.

Webber, one of the most popular drivers in the F1 paddock (shouldn’t that read the only popular driver in the F1 paddock? Ed) is looking forward to changing his career completely from Formula One driver to Racing Driver.

In many ways this will involve Mark taking a major step back in his career though he is expected to rapidly re-learn the skills of overtaking, spontaneous smiling and driving for more than three laps without pitting for tyres, reasonably quickly.

Sebastien Vettel’s response is expected to be an excitable bound onto the orange box he keeps with him at all times to practice podium celebrations before getting cross when he realises that Webber’s replacement is likely to be someone whose career prospects will be transformed by the simple process of driving one of the three cars on the grid capable of winning a race (Four if you count anything Alonso is driving).

From Dailysportscar
Old 27 Jun 2013, 19:23 (Ref:3270773)   #48
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i notice a lot of people on twitter are asking why there's a red bull young driver scheme if they don't ever intend to promote them to the actual main f1 team.
That is a simplistic view expressed on twitter. The intention is they might find a new driver, but it isn't easy to find the next star. Although they did it with Vettel.
The intention is there, but to think it should be automatic and if a better option comes along they don't take it is simplistic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Did Renault buy Porsche??
Old 27 Jun 2013, 21:39 (Ref:3270897)   #49
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'll miss Mark, I like his quotes obviously...

Best of luck with Porsche!!!
Old 27 Jun 2013, 21:49 (Ref:3270905)   #50
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I'm sitting by my phone waiting for a call....Vettell/Bender would be a good combination....