Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jun 2013, 11:53 (Ref:3271172)   #1
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driver Interviews

I heard Chris Evans on Radio 2 yesterday saying that no F1 drivers were allowed to do live interviews now. He had obviously wanted one for his programme to preview the BGP.
Have we got to the point where any driver interviews are now pointless? The post race interviews in the "compound" sees the drivers being accompanied by a "minder" (I wonder what their title is?) holding a mini recorder to record his every word. When they get back to the team HQ is the driver fined for saying the wrong thing? LOL
This week's comics show an even worse situation in the WRC where one driver has been given pre-written responses to questions that are stuck on the inside of his door!
Is it an Orwellian scenario?
Old 28 Jun 2013, 12:18 (Ref:3271186)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good Grief.....

If true, that would be about as pathetic as F1 can get....
Old 28 Jun 2013, 13:02 (Ref:3271209)   #3
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Ventriloquist's dummies!

A test at least Kimi, Hamilton and Webber failed.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 13:24 (Ref:3271218)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And long may they continue to be unsuccessful!
Old 28 Jun 2013, 14:07 (Ref:3271231)   #5
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Canberra Milk kid Mark Webber was one of the last drivers to have a human personality, perhaps Bernie should Comission a factory to produce robot F1 drivers designed as generic rich short men instead of using humans in the future, would probably help triple the team's profits from a lack of driver salaries needed.

All the Interviews could be pre-programmed.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 14:49 (Ref:3271243)   #6
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least they don't have to name all of their sponsors during the interview or say how much they love shake 'n' bake!
Old 28 Jun 2013, 15:05 (Ref:3271251)   #7
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrinck View Post
At least they don't have to name all of their sponsors during the interview or say how much they love shake 'n' bake!
Have you seen the pre-race prayers at NASCAR and Indycar events.

"Thank God for Sunoco Racing Fuel and GoodyearTires"

"Thank God for the IZOD Indycar Series"

"Heavenly father we thank you for our sponsor Heluva Good sour cream dips and all they do for NASCAR"

Talladega Nights was the most accurate portrayal of Motorsport in any movie.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3271392)   #8
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I like watching drag racing for the John Force interviews...
Old 29 Jun 2013, 00:32 (Ref:3271440)   #9
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Have you seen the pre-race prayers at NASCAR and Indycar events.

"Thank God for Sunoco Racing Fuel and GoodyearTires"

"Thank God for the IZOD Indycar Series"

"Heavenly father we thank you for our sponsor Heluva Good sour cream dips and all they do for NASCAR"

Talladega Nights was the most accurate portrayal of Motorsport in any movie.
It always comes back to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...cbcH84oQ#t=28s
Old 29 Jun 2013, 00:54 (Ref:3271444)   #10
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
I like watching drag racing for the John Force interviews...
Tony Stewart is pretty good too!
Old 29 Jun 2013, 00:58 (Ref:3271445)   #11
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
That is just the best!
Old 29 Jun 2013, 02:24 (Ref:3271458)   #12
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a shame. With no interviews, F1 becomes more impersonal and soulless.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 05:19 (Ref:3271487)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think this example is less what they say and more where they say it.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 05:45 (Ref:3271491)   #14
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I'm convinced Eccelstone went mad in the 90's sometime. The billions just went to his head and this kind of micro-managing money-grubbing control-freakery is the end result.

NASCAR are smart in comparison. The moar media the better with them.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 11:31 (Ref:3271559)   #15
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I'm convinced Eccelstone went mad in the 90's sometime. The billions just went to his head and this kind of micro-managing money-grubbing control-freakery is the end result.

NASCAR are smart in comparison. The moar media the better with them.
Shoot and foot seem to spring to mind!
Old 29 Jun 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3271651)   #16
jedrinck
Racer

Haha, do they really pray before NASCAR races or was that just a one-off?
Old 29 Jun 2013, 22:16 (Ref:3271709)   #17
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
they really really do, and if you forget to remove your hat for it a bunch of rednecks will remind you to.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 23:04 (Ref:3271722)   #18
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember they said a prayer prior to the F1 start at Indy.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 23:50 (Ref:3271732)   #19
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
All F1 teams pray their tyres will last more than 2 laps.
Old 30 Jun 2013, 09:58 (Ref:3271824)   #20
jedrinck
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catingaround View Post
they really really do, and if you forget to remove your hat for it a bunch of rednecks will remind you to.
Well, in that case I sympathize with the 'smoking hot wife' pastor, how could one possibly take that seriously?
Old 3 Jul 2013, 09:53 (Ref:3273285)   #21
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is not just Formula 1 drivers, I asked a well known Le Mans driver from a works team about doing something live, and was told that it had to be arranged via the team's Press Officer. This from someone I had interviewed many times in the past, while rising through the ranks.

Blame the Corporations.
Old 3 Jul 2013, 11:35 (Ref:3273326)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It seems to happen before races in general in America. Don't really see the problem, despite the fact religion isn't really my thing.
Old 3 Jul 2013, 11:41 (Ref:3273329)   #23
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
They don't bring in sponsors into the pre-race prayers. That Nationwide race had all the drivers grinning and trying to stifle laughs. That silly pastor was a one-off.
Old 4 Jul 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3273877)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
It seems to happen before races in general in America. Don't really see the problem, despite the fact religion isn't really my thing.
It happens at most sporting events in the USA it's just part of the culture..
Old 4 Jul 2013, 16:24 (Ref:3273897)   #25
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
its a pretty common practice across the globe to be fair.

most sporting events start with people singing their national anthem and many of those anthems reference god or religion in some way.