Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Jul 2017, 08:23 (Ref:3754632)   #226
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Really?

The VW, Seat, Skoda and Audi all use the same engine...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCR_International_Series
They might all be TCR eligible, and all use the same motor, but wouldn't different homologations be required due to different bodywork? Front bars are different, and the VWs appear to have a different shape front wheel arch - using the pics in that Wikipedia article.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 09:40 (Ref:3754653)   #227
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
They might all be TCR eligible, and all use the same motor, but wouldn't different homologations be required due to different bodywork? Front bars are different, and the VWs appear to have a different shape front wheel arch - using the pics in that Wikipedia article.
Yep, that.

A similar analogy would be the Lamborghini Huracan GT3 shares the same motor as the Audi R8 LMS GT3. They still have different homologations, despite the same engine.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 07:21 (Ref:3754994)   #228
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems people are arguing against points I didn't make... VAG using the same engine in 4 cars saves a shedload of money.

Other manufacturers could easily develop one engine and have it in multiple body shells too.
Old 2 Aug 2017, 09:13 (Ref:3756870)   #229
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For those who can't wait for homegrown ute action, here are the mighty Super PickUps in circulation at the famous Bangsean street circuit. https://youtu.be/36aRK-8JImA?t=6m27s

Despite the commentator stressing that any entrants emitting black smoke will be meatball flagged, as part of a push for clean running at the request of the fuel sponsor "Susco", this does not appear to be an entirely effective directive... [Meatball flagging the whole field, is that really possible? :raises eyebrow:]
Old 2 Aug 2017, 11:42 (Ref:3756912)   #230
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
For those who can't wait for homegrown ute action, here are the mighty Super PickUps in circulation at the famous Bangsean street circuit. https://youtu.be/36aRK-8JImA?t=6m27s

Despite the commentator stressing that any entrants emitting black smoke will be meatball flagged, as part of a push for clean running at the request of the fuel sponsor "Susco", this does not appear to be an entirely effective directive... [Meatball flagging the whole field, is that really possible? :raises eyebrow:]
Could be possible to develop a cng/ diesel dual fuel burning engine to reduce the soot of a super ute.
https://youtu.be/I32vwCxeGYg and the kamaz hybrid trucks.
Will the aus super utes have egr deleted?

The Audi LMP1 diesels used a Shell (Malaysia) gtl - gas to liquid diesel and two particulate filters to have clean running cars.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...iesel-winners/

Last edited by GHOGH; 2 Aug 2017 at 12:02.
Old 2 Aug 2017, 12:09 (Ref:3756924)   #231
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DPF is pretty much the main way to reduce soot.
Old 3 Aug 2017, 00:56 (Ref:3757092)   #232
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
. [Meatball flagging the whole field, is that really possible? :raises eyebrow:]
Yep! you do three at a time, 2 laps per set. Trouble is ensuring enough laps to fit them in. (Did 15 superkarts for illegal mods - knew they were going to do it helped to enable us to formulate a plan. Followed by all drivers briefing in front of the stewards with *******ing from CoC. Fun times.)
Old 3 Aug 2017, 04:15 (Ref:3757107)   #233
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Meantime, back at SuperUtes, the calendar is said to be coming out in concert with the Supercar one.

Current thinking sees 8 rounds in the mix:
Adelaide, Darwin, Townsville, Ipswich, Eastern Creek, Gold Coast, Bathurst, Newcastle

Might have thought a Victorian round would be there..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Aug 2017, 04:19 (Ref:3757110)   #234
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Meantime, back at SuperUtes, the calendar is said to be coming out in concert with the Supercar one.

Current thinking sees 8 rounds in the mix:
Adelaide, Darwin, Townsville, Ipswich, Eastern Creek, Gold Coast, Bathurst, Newcastle

Might have thought a Victorian round would be there..
Be able to go buy a beer and read the paper while they drive down the main straight in Darwin.
Old 3 Aug 2017, 04:38 (Ref:3757113)   #235
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I got scrutineered with a deck of cards in my HQ racecar at Philip Island once. 3 speed and one tonner diff, good times.... But I digress

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 3 Aug 2017, 05:19 (Ref:3757118)   #236
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gotta do something​ to pass the time, whilst lumbering down the front straight.
Old 3 Aug 2017, 08:59 (Ref:3757164)   #237
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Will they be selling face masks to stop the crowd breathing all those toxic and possibly carsinogenic Diesel black clouds.
Old 3 Aug 2017, 11:53 (Ref:3757190)   #238
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
Will they be selling face masks to stop the crowd breathing all those toxic and possibly carsinogenic Diesel black clouds.
There is a process being gone thru in engine mapping (a control ECU program by model) to assure that that does not happen. Not clear if there is an inline DPF or not.

The diesel Audis at Le Mans never really ran black smoke... although the cost of one of those chassis could probably pay for the field several times over...
Old 4 Aug 2017, 00:52 (Ref:3757284)   #239
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't seen much black smoke from the newer diesel utes and sedans on the road.
Vans, trucks.... different story!
Old 4 Aug 2017, 01:03 (Ref:3757286)   #240
Umai Naa
Veteran

You have to look at the age of them.

Most newer diesels, you won't see any smoke at all.
Old 4 Aug 2017, 02:37 (Ref:3757295)   #241
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
You have to look at the age of them.

Most newer diesels, you won't see any smoke at all.
It is what you don't see that will kill you
Old 4 Aug 2017, 03:12 (Ref:3757300)   #242
Umai Naa
Veteran

Once you remove the dieselgate, problem solved apparently
Old 4 Aug 2017, 08:22 (Ref:3757321)   #243
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Once you remove the dieselgate, problem solved apparently
Only in the Amarok...
Old 15 Aug 2017, 02:15 (Ref:3759444)   #244
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
SuperUtes track testing underway

Quote:
“If someone is to bring a Nissan Navara or VW Amarok or something else, we’ll deal with those as they come, but we can’t guarantee any outside of those first six models will be available as a kit to race at the first round next year.”
Old 15 Aug 2017, 07:34 (Ref:3759465)   #245
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Apparently they forgot to bring a stopwatch for lap times but all was good, someone had a calendar.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3759466)   #246
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the sort of path I would prefer they had gone down - king cab Navara with a VK45 V8 dropped in, bit of lowering, and looks fantastic in my opinion. Street driven tow vehicle in NZ.

http://www.themotorhood.com/themotor...uilt-v8-navara
Old 15 Aug 2017, 07:55 (Ref:3759468)   #247
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
This is the sort of path I would prefer they had gone down - king cab Navara with a VK45 V8 dropped in, bit of lowering, and looks fantastic in my opinion. Street driven tow vehicle in NZ.

It looks good, but its a bit under-powered compared to what the super utes will be. Plus its not very production based
Old 17 Aug 2017, 12:11 (Ref:3759932)   #248
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How boring
Old 17 Aug 2017, 13:19 (Ref:3759941)   #249
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:

This is pretty much what I had envisaged when all the chat first kicked off about moving away from the existing ruleset.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 20:26 (Ref:3760028)   #250
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Holden Supports SuperUtes