Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Oct 2016, 03:40 (Ref:3682380)   #26
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We? You and I?

So pay Robbie Gordon a licensing fee, set up a similar series in Australia but with various marques bodies (Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Great Wall etc) with a cheap buy in and a REC style entry point, and bang, away you go.
Old 24 Oct 2016, 03:44 (Ref:3682381)   #27
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nascar trucks?

Just throw the relevent headlight and grille stickers on them, and represent whichever brand suits your sponsors.
Old 24 Oct 2016, 03:45 (Ref:3682382)   #28
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
We? You and I?

So pay Robbie Gordon a licensing fee, set up a similar series in Australia but with various marques bodies (Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Great Wall etc) with a cheap buy in and a REC style entry point, and bang, away you go.
Just so you are clear a stadium super truck cost about $US300K

If you want to do the season budget for $US250K

the space frame series that as originally being considered was meant to cost $A120K. These super utes will be cheaper than that

Last edited by peckstar; 24 Oct 2016 at 03:52.
Old 24 Oct 2016, 03:50 (Ref:3682384)   #29
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You're less likely to write one off, compared to a ute, which are up there in terms of build costs. And if you seriously bin one of those, there's not a whole lot you'll be able to salvage.
Old 24 Oct 2016, 03:54 (Ref:3682386)   #30
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
You're less likely to write one off, compared to a ute, which are up there in terms of build costs. And if you seriously bin one of those, there's not a whole lot you'll be able to salvage.
as mixer said "If you want to make them cheap to fix they have to be bespoke, which makes them more expensive to make."

Cost to repair should be similar to the current ute
Old 24 Oct 2016, 03:58 (Ref:3682387)   #31
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The figures the organisers are talking about is a $60k build cost on top of the purchase of the ute.

I am just not sure a bunch of diesels droning around is going to be a patch on the current V8s.

I was over in Texas with friends and took over some of the current utes racing at Bathurst and the guys went nuts for it.

Reality is though if they want any kind of manufacturer involvement it has to be a product that people buy, so here we are.
Old 24 Oct 2016, 04:08 (Ref:3682388)   #32
Umai Naa
Veteran

The purchase costs and build costs for the utes will vary wildly, though. Not everyone is buying them new, nor are starting from scratch.

I would consider using either of the V8 engines currently used in the series, to power whatever they're using next. I don't think turbo diesel is the go. Development and maintenance costs will put that idea to bed.
Old 24 Oct 2016, 04:14 (Ref:3682390)   #33
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
The technical specification for the pick-ups will include a control rollcage, cosmetic aero additions, a control Motec ECU and the possibility of a control transmission and rear axle assembly.

The performance kit will include an exhaust, front and rear shock absorbers and springs, six-piston front and four-piston rear brake callipers and front and rear discs, a pedal box and master-cylinder with brake-bias adjustment, control tyres and control wheels.
Supercars announces new diesel pick-up racing category
Old 24 Oct 2016, 05:57 (Ref:3682401)   #34
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Utes considered a "feeder/development"category or more somewhere for those with cash to have a bit of a crack?
Old 24 Oct 2016, 07:01 (Ref:3682408)   #35
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Is Utes considered a "feeder/development"category or more somewhere for those with cash to have a bit of a crack?
Not too many full time blokes in that class have made it up the Supercar tree on a regular basis.. certainly not purely on the back of talent anyway..

Another Story Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Oct 2016, 09:19 (Ref:3682420)   #36
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Is it more just a reasonable affordable 3rd (or 4th) level national category for those that arent as gifted as the top couple of categories, but still a handy steerer (plus those with some cash to have a bit of a crack)
Old 24 Oct 2016, 10:11 (Ref:3682437)   #37
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The UK are going to race the Ssangyong diesel utes.(Belgium too) The 2014 ready to go cost of a SSangyong ute in caged race trim was NZ$34.5K, the 2017 show room cost of a base model V8 Holden ute is NZ$56.5K

There is one Ssangyong super ute in NZ that is similar to V8 utes in performance. The Ssangyong has a custom turbo engine, tti sequential, Brembos, a fair bit of tubing.
http://www.themotorhood.com/themotor...ust-got-ripped
https://youtu.be/ipLm_qEi12Q?t=57s (engine sound)

V8 utes appear to a hobby motorsport in Aus for the likes of Kim Jane, Peter Ward etc. Usually better to concentrate on quality sponsors rather than manufacturers.
A possible powertrain for the Super utes - control LS engine with close coupled Albins sequential (even if you have to chop the fire wall, control brakes and sus. and run a beam axle compared to the Supercars irs.

Last edited by GHOGH; 24 Oct 2016 at 10:18.
Old 24 Oct 2016, 23:34 (Ref:3682602)   #38
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
The solution to this is simple (or not): Run various marque bodies in the Stadium trucks.
I thoguht the same thing when I saw the recent SCA ad with 4 of these trucks wearing different oil brands.

What they are proposing to replace the V8 utes with will be a watered down version of what the Stadium trucks are doing.
Old 24 Oct 2016, 23:41 (Ref:3682604)   #39
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And ultimately less popular. Bang for bucks wise, Stadium Trucks will give manufacturers more incentive to join the series than a field of droning diesel, body rolling work utes.
Old 24 Oct 2016, 23:43 (Ref:3682605)   #40
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
I thoguht the same thing when I saw the recent SCA ad with 4 of these trucks wearing different oil brands.

What they are proposing to replace the V8 utes with will be a watered down version of what the Stadium trucks are doing.
I really dont think its a competitor to stadium trucks. To even compare them is probably not wise

They are basically a hotted up production vehicle. To race on a track

Stadium trucks are purpose built vehicle with a history of racing on dirt
Old 24 Oct 2016, 23:54 (Ref:3682608)   #41
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Have to say that so far there is nothing I find interesting about this suggested series.
Biggest concern I have is how it might look for the series & for motor sport in general. CO2 is the big pollutant enemy these days & that's what diesels pump out - add in particulates & visible smoke & the risk with this series is that it could be a big turn off for many casual event visitors.
Hope I'm proven wrong but that's my concern.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 00:00 (Ref:3682611)   #42
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Have to say that so far there is nothing I find interesting about this suggested series.
Biggest concern I have is how it might look for the series & for motor sport in general. CO2 is the big pollutant enemy these days & that's what diesels pump out - add in particulates & visible smoke & the risk with this series is that it could be a big turn off for many casual event visitors.
Im sure you said the same when the original ute series came out. Good news though, your not the target audience so you dont need to worry.

You seem to have an interest in the CO2, can you give me the comparison between a XR8 ute and SuperUte, Feel free to chuck in a Gt3 lambo if you want as well.

Let me help, straight up the SuperUte is the lowest CO2 producer of the 3

If you are worried about CO2 you probably shouldnt be into motorsport

Last edited by peckstar; 25 Oct 2016 at 00:11.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 00:01 (Ref:3682612)   #43
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The thing about diesels is not really true. Nothing produced after 2005 will produce black smoke.

CO2 output of diesel is about 10% higher than petrol per litre burned, but diesels use a fair bit less than even the most efficient petrol engines so it is line ball on CO2.

Nitrogen oxides would probably be the place to criticise diesels, but very efficient modern petrol engines are not far behind either.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 00:49 (Ref:3682621)   #44
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The current V8 Aus ute teams(who want to stay with V8 utes rather than building diesl utes with unknown running costs) might talk to the https://historicracing.com.au/ in many places the historics pull good crowds. There is also livestreaming now if the V8 utes want to avoid the live broadcast television companies for wider coverage and do delayed highlights packages. The Kumho series is another place for the V8 utes http://v8touringcars.com.au/ (for 5 rounds) and at the Aus GT events that the Superutes are not at.

I cannot imagine the NZ v8 ute teams want to park up or throw away their V8 utes. Hopefully there will be some cheap V8 race utes that can be used in NZ when the Australian teams have finished with them.

"Sieders is unsure whether or where he will be racing next season when the SuperUtes category – featuring dual-cab, diesel-powered utes – takes over.

“There’s lots of things up in the air depending on how many people from the current series actually go across,’’ he said.

“I’ve already heard talk of other people coming into the category because of how excited they are about the new ute.

“There’s definite optimism at the moment, so hopefully we get the build specs pretty soon so we can start working out manufacturers and all that sort of stuff."

Last edited by GHOGH; 25 Oct 2016 at 00:56.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 00:56 (Ref:3682624)   #45
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Im sure you said the same when the original ute series came out. Good news though, your not the target audience so you dont need to worry.

You seem to have an interest in the CO2, can you give me the comparison between a XR8 ute and SuperUte, Feel free to chuck in a Gt3 lambo if you want as well.

Let me help, straight up the SuperUte is the lowest CO2 producer of the 3

If you are worried about CO2 you probably shouldnt be into motorsport
You're right on the current utes peck, don't find them interesting at all and never have. To me this is an opportunity to step it up but so far that doesn't look like it'll be the case.

As Mixer has pointed out in regard to CO2, the SuperUte would be the highest of the 3, so you have that 180 degrees wrong but I take his point that the difference is not that great.

I'm not that worried personally about CO2 but there are many who are and seeing a field of utes possible smoking around (bear in mind they'll have modified exhausts so may smoke less than a stock vehicle) may give them ammo to throw at the series and motor sport in general - that is my concern. It is a question of perception and in particular how the series might be perceived and used by those outside the sport.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 01:00 (Ref:3682626)   #46
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not that worried personally about CO2 but there are many who are and seeing a field of utes possible smoking around (bear in mind they'll have modified exhausts so may smoke less than a stock vehicle)
Modern diesels _do not smoke_ _at all_
Old 25 Oct 2016, 01:01 (Ref:3682627)   #47
Umai Naa
Veteran

Providing they're fitted with a DPF.

I suspect that this will be removed for the purposes of racing.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 01:04 (Ref:3682628)   #48
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Providing they're fitted with a DPF. I suspect that this will be removed for the purposes of racing.
... which all cars since ~2005 have been.

Just seems pointless to completely ignore actual facts and keep bringing up something which has been done and dusted for more than 10 years.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 01:10 (Ref:3682629)   #49
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
As Mixer has pointed out in regard to CO2, the SuperUte would be the highest of the 3, so you have that 180 degrees wrong but I take his point that the difference is not that great.

I'm not that worried personally about CO2 but there are many who are and seeing a field of utes possible smoking around (bear in mind they'll have modified exhausts so may smoke less than a stock vehicle) may give them ammo to throw at the series and motor sport in general - that is my concern. It is a question of perception and in particular how the series might be perceived and used by those outside the sport.
yove misinterpreted what mixer said. he said it creates 10% more per litre used but uses less fuel. thats assuming things are equal

however a turbo diesel in a super ute, uses much less fuel that a v8 ute or a lambo.

so here is your numbers

A ford Ranger produces about 240g CO2 per Km, a Ford V8 ute produces about 320g perKM and a Gt3 lambo uses around 400g per KM

So moving to super utes will produce less CO2 than the utes currently run. that would be a win based on your theory

modern diesels have particle filters that significantly reduce particle particles. I suspect you will see very little balck smoke,
Old 25 Oct 2016, 01:42 (Ref:3682638)   #50
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Modern diesels _do not smoke_ _at all_
Agree - when they are stock.

I've seen plenty smoking when they've been modified though, and the article says they'll have a control modified exhaust. I really, really hope that they don't end up smoking but my concern is that they may end up doing so.