Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 31 Dec 2002, 22:42 (Ref:461249)   #1
uar6
Rookie

uar6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Donohue Tribute 2003

Watkins Glen, NY (September 7, 2002) – The 2003 Zippo U.S. Vintage Grand Prix at Watkins Glen International will have a special twist to it in 2003. Rather than just select a featured marque, The Glen and the Sportscar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA) will pay tribute to a person, his race cars and his career – Mark Donohue. Sunday’s main event will include a demonstration race with the cars from Donohue’s past and is scheduled for September 5-7.
Over 25 cars from Donohue’s past are expected to participate in the event, as well as the Donohue family. The weekend will pay tribute to Donohue’s many accomplishments, both behind the wheel of the race car and as one of the premier race car engineers of his time.
“I am really thrilled that something like this is happening in honor of my father,” said David Donohue. “It means a lot to my family and many of us will be there to enjoy the event. I’m looking forward to seeing all of the cars that he raced all in one place, as well as the team members that he raced with.”
“This tribute is a wonderful addition to what has become an already phenomenal weekend,“ said track President Craig Rust. “We are proud to celebrate the career of Mark Donohue and look forward to bringing all of his cars together to honor this tremendous driver.”
Mark Donohue was one of the most versatile racing drivers ever to compete. He won in sports cars, Indy Cars, stock cars; on oval tracks and road courses. He was a two-time USRRC Champion, a three-time SCCA Trans-Am Champion, a Can-Am Champion, winner of the 24 Hours of Daytona, the Indianapolis 500 and a NASCAR Winston Cup race at Riverside, CA.
Tickets for the 2003 season will be available in the coming months. For tickets, reserved camping, and additional information, please contact the Watkins Glen ticket office at 607-535-2481 or log on to the official Watkins Glen Web site at www.theglen.com. For updated on the reunion please log onto www.UnfairAdvantageRacing.com

###
Media contact –Paul Powell at317-826-9175, or via e-mail at Paul@UnfairAdvantageRacing.com
Old 8 Jan 2003, 23:06 (Ref:467994)   #2
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A really versatile driver, and a participant in 14 Formula One Grands Prix, his best finish coming on his debut with a third place in the Canadian GP in 1971. In that race, he beat his team mate, former World Champion Denny Hulme, into fourth place (after also having outqualified him), which says a lot.

Mark Donohue without doubt was a brilliant driver. RIP Mark.

Last edited by R; 8 Jan 2003 at 23:07.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 23:08 (Ref:467997)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I agree R , allthough i didnt see any of his career , I always heard his name and wondered who he was , so eventually I looked him up and he certainly did alot of things and was very quick in just about everything.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 00:16 (Ref:468050)   #4
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been reading thru some Autosports from 1974 when Roger Penske was starting the build of his first F1 car and its intresting to note that altho Mark was eventually persuaded to test the car he was never identified as a potential driver early on. Indeed the Captain was after such luminaries as Mass and Fittipaldi. I wonder what changed Marks mind and got him back in the car?
Old 9 Jan 2003, 22:24 (Ref:468903)   #5
uar6
Rookie

After Mark stopped driving, and becoming Roger's team mng, the money was cut in half that he was use to making.
he decided he didnt want to lower his standard of living and decided to drive a few more years. What most people do not know, if he was going to stop driving for Roger at the end of 75, as he hated the F1 cars and thought they were a piece of junk.He had a contract in his briefcase from BMW to do the IMSA program for 76. After he died, BMW had no idea what they were going to do and Peter Gregg ended up with it and ultimately wont the 76 24 hour, plus he had his Porsche team also.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 23:40 (Ref:468994)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never knew that, what a shame. How would have Penske viewed him driving the 320 turbo tho? was/had there been a falling out? I know his widow won a large settlement many years later from Goodyear over the tyre exploding, surprised she let her son take up raceing tho.
Old 10 Jan 2003, 00:04 (Ref:469015)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He was a fantastic engineer and test driver. In the late 70s I worked at Royale Racing. The designers were firstly Rory Byrne and when he left, Pat Symonds (now of Renault F1). I can remember the both of them raving about the Donohue book and his engineering / test methods within.
Old 10 Jan 2003, 00:22 (Ref:469030)   #8
uar6
Rookie

Donohue

I dont think it would have been a bad falling out with Roger and Mark, but I think Mark wanted to do tracks he was familiar with and not travel all over the world.

Both Mark's sons have raced a bit, but David has been more serious with it. I think they were both curious to know more about there dads life as they were very young when when he left us.It was Mark's second wife that filed the law suit in conjunction with his 2 sons. The rest of that story will never be told, and what I know I will walk away with my death someday.

What most people do not realize to is Mark was an everyday guy, and a jokester, and Roger never was. I was there when Mark won the 69 TransAm series and at the celebration Mark was spraying champagne over everyone and Roger was running as fast as he could so he wouldn't get it, and went and hid in his car. if I remember correctly, I think Mark did get him though

Mark was embarrassed that people actually wanted his autograph. I spent many of hours with Mark, and wish I would have given his a few hundred pieces of paper to put his autograph on, as I could have made a ton of money. But I knew how uncomfortable he was at anyone asking, I never got one myself. Oh well, I have memories that no one can ever buy or take away.....
Old 10 Jan 2003, 00:28 (Ref:469035)   #9
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Nice words dude - obviously a far more intrestin character than we ever gave him credit for. Anyone ever written a book on Penskes years in F1? One of my friends has driven a Penske F1 car and he raved about it.

Last edited by ghinzani; 10 Jan 2003 at 00:29.
Old 10 Jan 2003, 01:59 (Ref:469074)   #10
uar6
Rookie

was your friends name Mockett?

Doug Mockett drives the F1 Penske PC4 that was driven by John Watson after Mark.
Old 10 Jan 2003, 09:35 (Ref:469300)   #11
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Doug sponsors my friend Paul, so yes thats the car. And what a thing of beauty it is too.
Old 10 Jan 2003, 11:10 (Ref:469351)   #12
uar6
Rookie

Yes it is a beautiful car. I have spent some time with Doug, and he is a 1st class guy!!

I always enjoy seeing him running it at the F1 Vintage races, and was able to see him twice this past year.

The original Penske PC1 has been restored and Penske owns that car. They break it once in a while and Marks son David has driven it the last few times I have seen it.

So many memories..............
Old 10 Jan 2003, 14:19 (Ref:470223)   #13
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

I have only ever heard good words about Doug, really looking forward to meeting him at the TWS races this year as Ive a ton of questions about historics I want to ask him! Paul says he is the best sponsor one could ask for.

Last edited by ghinzani; 10 Jan 2003 at 14:21.
Old 13 Jan 2003, 15:57 (Ref:473142)   #14
uar6
Rookie

What car does Doug sponsor and who is this Paul?

Thanks
Old 29 Jun 2003, 21:11 (Ref:646477)   #15
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just found this thread. Would like to make it to the US for this but can't .

I was only a very small child when Mark was killed, but like my other favourite driver Jim Clark, I have learnt a lot about them through their results and the many books.

Colin McRae 1968-2007