Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 20 Apr 2003, 08:45 (Ref:574604)   #1
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Daijiro Katoh

Just to remember that the sports we love are dangerous, even if there's no connection with sportscars : Daijiro Katoh (GP pilot) didn't recover from his collapsing after his wreck last week-end, and left us yesterday. He was born the 4th of July 1976, had two children (the second is only one month old).

RIP Daijiro

Last edited by Fab; 20 Apr 2003 at 08:50.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 09:02 (Ref:574616)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Daijiro Kato 1976-2003

I wrote a feature for the newsletter to be sent out later today, but I thought I would also post it in here for those who do not receive it.

OBITUARY: FAREWELL DAIJIRO-SAN
Written by Benjamin Lowe

It is with heavy heart that I write this obituary, one that in the past two weeks I was hoping that I would never have to write. But I awoke this morning to hear the tragic news that Daijiro Kato, one of the most exciting riders on the MotoGP grid, had lost his brave fight for life after a terrible crash at Suzuka two weeks ago.

Born on the 4th of August 1976, Daijiro was born in Saitama Prefecture in Japan. From an early age Daijiro showed a keen interest in motorcycle racing so it was no surprise that Daijiro made his race debut at the age of 15 in 1992.

From 1994-1999, Daijiro would contest the 250cc All Japan Championship, on a Honda, with mixed success. 7th in his first year, he improved as a rider every year and won the championship in 1997, but an accident at Suzuka in 1998 cost him a chance at back-to-back championships. His final year in the series in 1999 netted him another second place to go with the runner-up spot he won in 1996.

By this time Daijiro had already burst onto the world stage. He had made his first world championship start in 1996 at Suzuka as a wild card, and surprised many by finishing third behind Max Biaggi and Numata. Daijiro then won consecutive races as a wild card in Japan in 1997 and 1998, while he finished fifth in 1999.

After waiting on the sidelines for four years, Daijiro finally got his full championship debut in 2000 with Axo Honda Gresini. His six years of racing in Japan had turned Kato into a consistent but fast rider, and he was the only rider to finish every race of the season in the points. He won four times, in Japan, Portugal, Brazil and Motegi on his way to third place in the championship behind the two Chesterfield Yamaha’s of Olivier Jacque and Shinya Nakano.

During the same year, Kato won his first of two Suzuka 8 hour endurance races on a Honda with fellow 250cc rider Tohru Ukawa.

On a Telefonica Movistar Honda for 2001, Daijiro obliterated the opposition in the 250cc class. He broke Mike Hailwood's record of most wins in the category, taking 11 victories (Japan, South Africa, Spain, France, Catalunya, Britain, Portugal, Valencia, Australia, Malaysia and Brazil) with the only blot on his season being a non-finish at Motegi. He took a clear championship victory from veteran rider Tetsuya Harada.

Daijiro made his MotoGP debut in 2002, graduating with Gresini on the Fortuna Honda. Kato would begin the season on an old NSR500, but in only his third race in Spain he finished a close second behind Valentino Rossi. Kato would struggle on the outdated machinery until getting his hands on the new RC211V at Brno, and immediately impressed, this time finishing behind Max Biaggi on the Yamaha M1. Daijiro also claimed his second victory in the Suzuka 8 hour, this time riding with two-time Superbike champion Colin Edwards.

The 2003 MotoGP season promised a lot for Daijiro. He had a new 2003-spec RC211V, equal to that of the factory Honda squad, and was joined by Sete Gibernau in thew Telefonica Movistar Gresini team. In tricky qualifying conditions, Kato qualified 11th, but was confident of a strong race.

No one really knows what happened on lap 3 of the Skyy Vodka Japanese Grand Prix. Running a strong 5th at the time, Daijiro exited the quick 130R corner and began braking for the chicane. According to his teammate Gibernau, Daijiro’s bike took off to the left instead of the right under braking and slammed into the barrier, flinging the unfortunate Daijiro into the air while the bike destroyed itself against the barriers.

Paramedics were quick to arrive on the scene and reports later said that the trackside doctor restarted Daijiro’s heart at the crash scene. Daijiro was quickly rushed to the helicopter and transported to Yokkaichi Hospital.

The outlook appeared grim. Daijiro was left in a coma with fractures of the T1 and T2 vertebrae. Reports were that Daijiro’s helmet had been split into two.

For two weeks his wife, Makiko, and two daughters, one less than a month old, surrounded Daijiro at his bedside. Team-members were also constantly at his bedside while thousands upon thousands of well wishers flooded his website with e-mails while the official MotoGP website also received thousands from fans across the world wishing the best for Daijiro.

But on the 20th April 2003, Daijiro slipped away and his death was pronounced early in the morning, Japanese time. Already tributes have been flowing in from riders and commentators from around the world.

Daijiro was an exciting rider and his brilliance will never be forgotten. Away from the track he was a personal fellow and loved nothing more than spending time with his young wife and family. His riding and his family were the two most important aspects in his life.

Daijiro lived day to day and lived life to the fullest. And it is on this note that I finish:

‘I don’t know about my future. It’s too early to think about it. The most important matter is what I should do now.’

Goodbye Daijiro.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 09:11 (Ref:574626)   #3
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Goodbye Daijiro. There is not much I can say. It's just a very sad time. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

PS. Lovely article Ben.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 09:53 (Ref:574662)   #4
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great article, Ben.

My mom and I have been crying all the morning long. Poor Dajiro
Old 20 Apr 2003, 10:08 (Ref:574671)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That was beautiful. Thank you very much. Daijiro's death is a terrible tragedy, and we can only hope that he did not suffer, and that lessons can be learnt from this. RIP Daijiro.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 14:59 (Ref:574833)   #6
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the nice article Ben.

As someone who only started following bikes from 99, Daijiro was always a focus point for me and a pleasure to watch. I read the news yesterday afternoon and just didn't want to believe it. The sport is going to be empty without #74
Old 20 Apr 2003, 15:34 (Ref:574875)   #7
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice article Ben.
I cant bring myself to write anything atm. glad someone can.

p.s. its just a small thing but kato was born on the 7th April (his birthday the other day remember?).
Old 20 Apr 2003, 17:05 (Ref:574944)   #8
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My thoughts are with his family and friends.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 17:06 (Ref:574946)   #9
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that is easily the best of the articles I have yet read on this terrible demise, very moving, well done Ben.

There is absolutely nothing I can add to that. I have the Spanish GP at Jerez from last year on tape, and thus I have a memory of Daijiro at his best, sideways, attacking and very nearly beating Valentino Rossi on inferior machinery....magnificent. Daijiro was by all accounts a lovely guy, who just happened to be very good at racing motorbikes. The Welkom grid will be so much the poorer for his absence.

Thanks for the memories and rest in peace Daijiro.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 18:03 (Ref:574983)   #10
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
74 Daijiro-san 74

Last edited by 429CJ; 20 Apr 2003 at 18:05.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 20 Apr 2003, 18:53 (Ref:575008)   #11
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.I.P 74
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:50 (Ref:575080)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Very sad news RIP Daijiro
Old 21 Apr 2003, 10:50 (Ref:575460)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
very sad news indeed , I thought he would make it having clung to life as long as he did , but it wasnt to be.

another champion has been taken from us and one that will never be forgotten

RIP Daijiro and thanks for the memories.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 15:30 (Ref:575679)   #14
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
That was beautiful. Thank you very much. Daijiro's death is a terrible tragedy, and we can only hope that he did not suffer, and that lessons can be learnt from this. RIP Daijiro.
My sentiments exactly.

Sincerest condolences to Daijiro's family and associates.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 22:11 (Ref:575956)   #15
Winther
Racer

Winther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rest easy Katoh San.
My thoughts to his family....man he was just too young!
Old 21 Apr 2003, 23:17 (Ref:575999)   #16
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daijiro was a very good rider. We would have seen how he was one of the few to take on Valentino, but Suzuka was there. RIP Kato-san, and condolences to wife and both Iko and daughter.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 10:43 (Ref:576312)   #17
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very well done Ben.

RIP Daijiro Kato
Old 22 Apr 2003, 10:44 (Ref:576313)   #18
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RIP

Ciao Marco
Old 22 Apr 2003, 13:06 (Ref:576428)   #19
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My sincerest condolences go out to his family and the team. Rest in Peace.
Never forget #99
Old 22 Apr 2003, 14:48 (Ref:576539)   #20
DC_Trollking
Rookie

DC_Trollking should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lets just remember the great rides he had and condolences to his family and friends
Old 22 Apr 2003, 17:23 (Ref:576705)   #21
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thankyou for that Ben. A wonderful tribute to a wonderful rider.

As aware as everyone is of the dangers of motorsport, we can never prepare ourselves for such a tragedy. All my thoughts go to his family and friends and may his legend live forever.

Rest in piece Daijiro.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 21:07 (Ref:577145)   #22
rodrigomarban
Racer

rodrigomarban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My thoughts right now are with Daijiro's family, as well as the Schumacher brothers
Old 3 May 2003, 17:02 (Ref:588565)   #23
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God speed Daijiro