Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 19 Feb 2013, 20:11 (Ref:3207443)   #26
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When HD first opened, part of the driver's briefing from a regular Coc at Classic meetings, was that crossing the pit entry line was a big no-no, but as alpina107 points out, it is all too easy to be squeezed over it.

Presumably, it is therefore up to the CoC to decide on the policy for the day. From the TV coverage, there were several instances of drivers crossing it.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 20:26 (Ref:3207448)   #27
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shouldn't this thread be moved into the NZ sub section? Hampton Downs might be for sale, but as far as I know, it hasn't been purchased by an Aussie and relocated....
Old 19 Feb 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3207540)   #28
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina107 View Post
Yes and no.

The double yellow lines start a long way back and indicate the pitlane entry. About halfway along, a white line goes at an angle from the outside edge of the track across to the double yellow line. From what I've been told, you can be over/on the yellow line until the point where the white line crosses, but if you cross that white line or the second part of the yellow line, you'd better be going into the pits. Otherwise, you might end up driving the length of pitlane at 40 km/h.
That's what we were politely told.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 00:20 (Ref:3207580)   #29
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
That's what we were politely told.
Thought as much, I bet that's why there were drive-throughs, although a couple might have been for pushing and shoving around Turns 1 & 2 as well.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 20:18 (Ref:3208070)   #30
Racetroll
Rookie

Racetroll should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drivethroughs and Pit Entry

I can confirm that the drive throughs given to the ST this weekend were a result of driver behaviour, not the pit entry blendline.

You're right Alpina107, we do have a great view of that area from RC. In general, I will monitor someone who has gone over the line once and if they repeatedly offend, then we deal with it. I'm well aware that sometimes you get squeezed and sometimes you genuinely forget.

Believe it or not, most of us race officials actually enjoy the racing and don't want to wreck someones race with a penalty for something accidental.

Overtake 5 cars using the lane and just about cause an accident because you suddenly swerve left to avoid the pit wall though and my attitude might be a litte different!
Old 21 Feb 2013, 08:15 (Ref:3208350)   #31
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ozzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Hampton Downs might be for sale, but as far as I know, it hasn't been purchased by an Aussie and relocated....
No but Quinn is active just a little north....and may have a white-anting agenda albeit inadvertantly....he probably has the means to own two tracks.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 09:36 (Ref:3208410)   #32
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
It might help if the yellow line was extended a bit though, as it isn't that easy to see as you exit the last corner.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 17:00 (Ref:3208644)   #33
HD_TR
Rookie

New Zealand
HD_TR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
No but Quinn is active just a little north....and may have a white-anting agenda albeit inadvertantly....he probably has the means to own two tracks.
Quite a long way south actually, in the other island, however your point is valid and as he outlined in a radio interview recently he tried to buy it last year, but they couldn't reach agreement.

He did continue to say in the interview that he remained interested, as the two tracks will serve entirely different markets with the Cromwell one being a "members" facility, close to the Snow Farm where so many manufacturers do their testing and might like to use a track as well; and targeting smaller numbers of "normal" race meetings.

Cromwell and Queenstown are harder (more distance, time and money) to get to for most people.

Given the size of the population base within 2 hours drive of Hampton Downs (50%), and its current booking level being near full capacity, finishing up the track extension to give multiple configurations should see it used even more.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 02:12 (Ref:3209797)   #34
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_TR View Post
Quite a long way south actually, in the other island, however your point is valid and as he outlined in a radio interview recently he tried to buy it last year, but they couldn't reach agreement.

He did continue to say in the interview that he remained interested, as the two tracks will serve entirely different markets with the Cromwell one being a "members" facility, close to the Snow Farm where so many manufacturers do their testing and might like to use a track as well; and targeting smaller numbers of "normal" race meetings.

Cromwell and Queenstown are harder (more distance, time and money) to get to for most people.

Given the size of the population base within 2 hours drive of Hampton Downs (50%), and its current booking level being near full capacity, finishing up the track extension to give multiple configurations should see it used even more.
Hmmmm Solly, I thought I read about another circuit being built to the East of Hampton...my bad
Old 24 Feb 2013, 20:18 (Ref:3210124)   #35
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_TR View Post

HD_TR,

I could not agree more. You obviously meant the total NZ population i assume?
Old 25 Feb 2013, 00:13 (Ref:3210229)   #36
HD_TR
Rookie

New Zealand
HD_TR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
HD_TR,

I could not agree more. You obviously meant the total NZ population i assume?
Yep. The last set of statistics I saw had half of the total NZ population living from Taupo north, and I guess next year we'll see what the 2013 Census has to tell us.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 23:28 (Ref:3210787)   #37
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Back on topic. I gather that there is considerable interest in HD, so it will be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully we'll see that 1.2 track opened within a year or two. Meanwhile, will just have to buy lottery tickets.

Pity the HD Legends meeting clashes with Rod Millen's Leadfoot Festival on the same weekend, which will split the support for both.

I'll be at HD as our classes are racing,but, sadly, I don't think I will be able to by then.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 09:02 (Ref:3257017)   #38
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was there any news on this front??
Old 3 Jun 2013, 09:10 (Ref:3257021)   #39
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
We gather negotiations are in progress.
Old 7 Jun 2013, 11:25 (Ref:3258913)   #40
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any clues as to who with?
Old 8 Jun 2013, 03:50 (Ref:3259202)   #41
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
No. But I have my fingers crossed as to who it might be!
Old 26 Aug 2013, 07:30 (Ref:3294035)   #42
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Updates? Any idea of price anyone?
Old 19 Sep 2013, 07:10 (Ref:3306035)   #43
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
I can see this is a hot topic !!
Old 19 Sep 2013, 07:42 (Ref:3306042)   #44
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Silver 3, make of this what you want, and also take into account that my source on this info is not someone directly involved with the HD sale/acquisition etc.

I was told that Tony Quinn was buying the track, but not the facilities. Sounds weird I know, but if it is true, then its not a bad outcome in my view, as you can guarantee the track would gets its long overdue expansion.

But this is simply rumour mill central, so take this with a pinch of salt, just like I did when I heard this.

Cheers
Old 19 Sep 2013, 08:41 (Ref:3306055)   #45
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3 View Post
I can see this is a hot topic !!
I suggest it could even be a hot-mix topic!!!
Old 19 Sep 2013, 09:02 (Ref:3306059)   #46
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
I am curious-- no offense intended--thought it was worth another ask !!
Old 20 Sep 2013, 00:50 (Ref:3306398)   #47
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3 View Post
I am curious-- no offense intended--thought it was worth another ask !!
As am I No offense taken or even slightly perceived!
Old 19 Oct 2013, 02:44 (Ref:3319689)   #48
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Negotiations are still continuing and as I understand it, a buy in not a buy out - thank goodness.