Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Jan 2017, 14:14 (Ref:3704067)   #1
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GT Asia 2017

So the new Blancpain Asia series has been announcing all the big entries so far, looking like they are ahead in this regional GT showdown...

However the Gt Asia Stalwarts Absolute Racing have confirmed they are back with three Bentleys, drivers TBD.

Eurasia are also bringing a solo Aston Martin, so that's four entries so far, to Blancpain Asia's 12-13

Hopefully both series can get decent grids so there's plenty of good Asian racing this year

2017 GT Asia Series Schedule:

March 7-8 – Sepang Test Days
March 10-12 – Sepang
May 12-14 – South Korea (TBD)
June 2-4 – Fuji
June 23-25 – Buriram
Aug. 4-6 – Zhejiang
Sept. 1-3 – Shanghai
July 7-9 or Sept. 29-Oct. 1 – TBC

Last edited by Bcarr6; 21 Jan 2017 at 14:30.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3704090)   #2
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't get it why SRO launched the Blancpain GT Asia.

It is SRO vs. MA (Motorsport Asia), and that is not good. two almost same championships.

SRO ofcourse has the Blancpain GT Series, Sepang 12 hours, Fia GT World Cup (Macau) and the Intercontinental GT3 challenge.

On the other side, GT Asia has now a big alliance with the Asian LeMans Series (SRO vs. ACO also here than).

It was better to have one GT3 asian championship, GT Asia, and that SRO partnered up with them on the same way he do with PWC. Than you got the local GT Asia knowdlegde, backed up with the knowledge of SRO. That would have make more sense.

I hope not, but I have the feeling this could be the last year GT Asia, might the championship be dissapointing in 2017, and BGT Asia a succes.

So far, GT Asia has:
- 1x or 2x CMRT Eurasia GT3 Vantages
- 3x Absolute Bentley
- 2x AAI? Mercedes (according to their fb page)

Maybe return:
- Clearwater (i won't be suprised they still show up a couple event in their Ferrari, I think Hamaguchi choose the McLaren and the SRO series, because of the choose for Suzuka. Mok Weng still can go with his Ferrari to GT Asia)
- Craft-bamboo. Said they decide based on which series offers the best
- Singha. Although confirmed a Blancpain Sprint campaing, i don't rule them out for a return. But already entering an SRO series doesn't seem a good sign.
- BBT, not heard anything from the, might return in their F488
- AAI, not heard anything from them, might return with their Mercs (as mentioned above, or maybe with their M6 or McLarens

Possible entries:
- Asian LeMans Series teams: DH Racing (F488), VS Racing (Huracan), OD Racing (650S), ???

Not return:
- Phoenix Racing Asia, choose for SRO
- FFF, choose for SRO
- GruppeM, choose for SRO

My expectation: They now have almost 7 confirmed. I would be suprised if they can get 15 GT3 entries or more. But i expect it be more around 10 GT3 cars. Maybe with GTM (older spec GT3), GT4 and GTC it still could be a nice 20+ grid.

Crucial point: Which series can offer the best BOP, Racing and value for money. The two series are so similar, that it is crucial that there will be fair fights and good racing. BOP will therefore be important aspect, if someone feel like there car has got an disadvantage and might therefore switch the next season to the other championship. Just watch IMSA/PWC with Porsche this season. Sometimes i have the feeling that SRO given a few brands a little advantage or disadvantage. Last things is the value for money (social media, tv, press, etc.)
Old 21 Jan 2017, 17:31 (Ref:3704094)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorritVD View Post
People are greedy. They want more money. They want more power.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 17:44 (Ref:3704096)   #4
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorritVD View Post

It is SRO vs. MA (Motorsport Asia), and that is not good. two almost same championships.

SRO ofcourse has the Blancpain GT Series, Sepang 12 hours, Fia GT World Cup (Macau) and the Intercontinental GT3 challenge.

On the other side, GT Asia has now a big alliance with the Asian LeMans Series (SRO vs. ACO also here than).

It was better to have one GT3 asian championship, GT Asia, and that SRO partnered up with them on the same way he do with PWC. Than you got the local GT Asia knowdlegde, backed up with the knowledge of SRO. That would have make more sense.

I hope not, but I have the feeling this could be the last year GT Asia, might the championship be dissapointing in 2017, and BGT Asia a succes.

So far, GT Asia has:
- 1x or 2x CMRT Eurasia GT3 Vantages
- 3x Absolute Bentley
- 2x AAI? Mercedes (according to their fb page)

Maybe return:
- Clearwater (i won't be suprised they still show up a couple event in their Ferrari, I think Hamaguchi choose the McLaren and the SRO series, because of the choose for Suzuka. Mok Weng still can go with his Ferrari to GT Asia)
- Craft-bamboo. Said they decide based on which series offers the best
- Singha. Although confirmed a Blancpain Sprint campaing, i don't rule them out for a return. But already entering an SRO series doesn't seem a good sign.
- BBT, not heard anything from the, might return in their F488
- AAI, not heard anything from them, might return with their Mercs (as mentioned above, or maybe with their M6 or McLarens

Possible entries:
- Asian LeMans Series teams: DH Racing (F488), VS Racing (Huracan), OD Racing (650S), ???

Not return:
- Phoenix Racing Asia, choose for SRO
- FFF, choose for SRO
- GruppeM, choose for SRO

My expectation: They now have almost 7 confirmed. I would be suprised if they can get 15 GT3 entries or more. But i expect it be more around 10 GT3 cars. Maybe with GTM (older spec GT3), GT4 and GTC it still could be a nice 20+ grid.

Crucial point: Which series can offer the best BOP, Racing and value for money. The two series are so similar, that it is crucial that there will be fair fights and good racing. BOP will therefore be important aspect, if someone feel like there car has got an disadvantage and might therefore switch the next season to the other championship. Just watch IMSA/PWC with Porsche this season. Sometimes i have the feeling that SRO given a few brands a little advantage or disadvantage. Last things is the value for money (social media, tv, press, etc.)

GT Asia struggled for grid size last few years so I see why SRO wanted to have a go, but I'd rather see a joint effort

Some other points in response to your very interesting comments:

-Haven't seen anything on AAI but they run BMW's mostly now right? Although I know they had two AMGs in GT Asia for a single race last year thought they were loan cars

They seemed to have ditched their McLaren since the start of this ASLMs season? Love to see it run though

I'd be unsurprised if we saw some form of AAI presence in both GT Asia and SRO Asia.

-Clearwater are doing SRO with their McLaren, and WEC with a Ferrari so I don't see a GT Asia return as likely. The article on the McLaren entry for SRO seemed to suggest a choice of one or the other had been made

-Craft Bamboo, still in the air I guess so that'll be interesting to watch

-Singha, I don't know about them, but if any I'd think they'd go SRO Asia, having entered Blancpain in Europe

-BBT I think would take the Gt Asia side

-I think your right, DH Racing, OD Racing, VS etc will be interesting to watch. I'd have thought they would want to run their new cars having just shelled out a big sum for them

Going to be an interesting season to see what happens and if they can coexist. I'm currently neutral between the two until we can see how the SRO races operate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 Jan 2017, 00:14 (Ref:3704349)   #5
Bcarr6
Veteran

GT Asia 2017

The OD racing drivers were showing off the fact the team has TWO McLaren 650s GT3s, I wonder if we will see them run in GT Asia this year

Also Gt Asias twitter account suggesting 2x AMG GTs for a to be confirmed Team, announcing soon

Last edited by Bcarr6; 23 Jan 2017 at 00:41.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 16:38 (Ref:3711239)   #6
Bcarr6
Veteran

Gt Asia 2017

GT3

CMRTeam - Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3 - James Cai / Kenneth Lim

CMRTeam - Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3 - TBA ( possible )

Absolute Racing - Bentley Continental GT3 - TBA / TBA

Team AAI - BMW M6 GT3 - TBA

Team AAI - BMW M6 GT3 - TBA

Team AAI - BMW Z4 GT3 - TBA

TBA - Mercedes AMG GT3 - TBA

TBA - Mercedes AMG GT3 - TBA

Absolute Racing - Audi R8 LMS GT3 - TBA

GT4

Team AAI - TBA GT4 - TBA

Old 9 Feb 2017, 16:40 (Ref:3711240)   #7
Bcarr6
Veteran

Big entry from AAI this year, 2x BMW M6 GT3's, 1x BMW Z4 GT3, and 1x to be determined GT4

Wonder what GT4 they will run, and equally if they will have any competition in the class!

Old 28 Feb 2017, 10:24 (Ref:3715283)   #8
Bcarr6
Veteran

GT Asia 2017

GT Asia have postponed their opening round, without citing a reason, although I reckon we can link it to Blancpain Gt Asia Cup coming along and scoring all the big names.

I reckon we can expect the few teams announced for full seasons of GT Asia such as team AAI with its four car entry, and Absolute with its four car entry to flock to Blancpain Asia now
Old 1 Mar 2017, 00:51 (Ref:3715409)   #9
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
GT Asia is SRO first victim in Asia. You know that’s never going to change.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 08:18 (Ref:3715472)   #10
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
GT Asia is SRO first victim in Asia. You know that’s never going to change.

Never really thought the area could sustain both, the sensible thing to do now would merge
Old 9 Mar 2017, 09:52 (Ref:3717458)   #11
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your post above Bcarr6 actually shows only 4 teams and few drivers so I agree, merging the two seems inevitable now. With these teams added we would have an excellent field for BlancPain
Old 15 Apr 2017, 09:57 (Ref:3726539)   #12
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT Asia and China GT merge.
http://sportscar365.com/other-series...hina-gt-merge/
Old 16 Apr 2017, 09:06 (Ref:3726833)   #13
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post

So they are just tagging on to China GT

Personally I'd say just admit defeat
Old 16 Apr 2017, 09:47 (Ref:3726839)   #14
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
So they are just tagging on to China GT

Personally I'd say just admit defeat
Agree, this is nothing more than making sure the name continues (and probably saves them from having to pay for terminating existing contracts).