Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 1 Jul 2003, 10:46 (Ref:648176)   #51
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by formulafordster
The reason why these people don;t move on is thay are afraid they can't cut it elseware. Do they do home to ther wives and say, yep won another one in the class I have been racing for 15 years in my car which is over ten years younger than everyone, with my 3 mechanics by my side?
I take it you got beat then?
Old 1 Jul 2003, 10:53 (Ref:648188)   #52
formulafordster
Racer

formulafordster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ghinzani
I take it you got beat then?
I take it you don't have a constructive answer then?
Old 1 Jul 2003, 12:20 (Ref:648312)   #53
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take a kicking off these cars on a regular basis (and many other non-zetec class cars) however it would be very good to beat one, very satisfying.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 12:39 (Ref:648342)   #54
formulafordster
Racer

I do get beaten 40% of the time. Beating one is ace, but its still winds me up that these pot hunting dads in better cars come and play with amateurs. Beckham doesn;t play in a sunday league team, because he likes the scene!
Old 1 Jul 2003, 14:15 (Ref:648456)   #55
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Why don't you just try a bit harder?
Old 1 Jul 2003, 14:46 (Ref:648496)   #56
formulafordster
Racer

Better than that, I will convert a Zetec, oh thats right I forgot I don;t have money to burn, also I cant aford to crash it because the parts are more than twice the price, Never mind Gavin will have fun going round on his own, I will rind Eddie Irvine to see if he wants to join in, like an '87 FF reunion!
Old 1 Jul 2003, 14:48 (Ref:648498)   #57
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kartingdad
Why don't you just try a bit harder?
Old 1 Jul 2003, 14:50 (Ref:648501)   #58
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F'Fster - without sound patronising, I would get someone to coach you who knows FFs - its the cheapest way to beat newer cars and will cost you a lot less.

I think most people who race FF1600 are not doing it for anything else apart from enjoyment - it is the best racing bar none - and most of them could cut it at a higher level. If you took away people like Stuart Kestabaun where would FF be?? Motorsport will never be fair or equal..
Old 1 Jul 2003, 14:52 (Ref:648507)   #59
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...also, whilst you keep on bleating like a little girl - look at Jonny McGall - turns up in an old shed of a motor and nearly wins the FF1600 festival.

The nature of the games is that it is all things to all men...drive a little quicker..
Old 1 Jul 2003, 14:55 (Ref:648509)   #60
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

uh-oh!
Old 1 Jul 2003, 15:15 (Ref:648528)   #61
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe the newers cars are quicker, but ewven if they are we are talking a tenth or two - if you're seconds off the pace you need to work on yourself and the set-up before switching chassis.

An RF86 can do sub-49 at Mallory, well set-up and well-driven with no problem...

Keep trying Fordster, when you've been at it a few years you'll be amazed you ever struggled at all...

Last edited by JR Ewing; 1 Jul 2003 at 15:17.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 16:07 (Ref:648566)   #62
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with JR there marginally quicker by a small fraction i've seen certain drivers in old rf89's keeping up with newer much newer cars with good drivers and beating them. to me its satisfing turning up on a low budget and a pre '90 car and keeping up with high budget teams. And i think people dont move out of FF1600 because it is so much fun and a hobby not a career.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 16:19 (Ref:648580)   #63
formulafordster
Racer

Surely the idea of FF is that ARE faily equal. Wills' fastest lap is 3 tenths faster than last year, so far he has gone quicker at every round.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 16:20 (Ref:648581)   #64
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard has the key point. From what I am reading there are 10ths in it, and beating a car which is better machinery much be a great buzz, more so if it has a good driver in it.

Scince I started racing FF1600 I can honestly say I don't think I have had as much fun (ok some races are dissapointing) but thats part of the fun of it "being cheated" out of a position (or in your head at least) or crashing out when you swear you where on a hot lap etc etc.

Speaking to a couple of more experienced people this w/e has really changed my view on this, I still think people set them selves up for a fall eg: "He only won 'cos he was in a zetec chassis" or "he should have won...he's in a zetec Chassis" but I understand and appricaite more the costs, benifits to the series, benifits to the racing and how much / little difference they make. The fact that this thread is happening and the thought (or sometimes lack of it) behind the responses is a good point and proves how alive FF1600 is and can be. I doubt there would be a thread that said "RF90 - wins again" with this much debate.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 16:23 (Ref:648582)   #65
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fordster, might be the car or might be he has more confidence ie its in his head. only he knows. If you believe you will go faster chances are you will. If you cant join them beat them.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 16:57 (Ref:648604)   #66
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Also it depends on driving style - if you like chucking the car around and bashing wheels and kerbs get a rocker car like a Reynard ff82-whenever (89?) or a Van Deimen 85-89 or Swift DB3 - 91, - but on the other hand a VD 90-92 or a Swift 92-95 is more of a finesse car but ultimately quicker over one lap... but the big but here is that FF isnt about being quick over one lap, its being able to fight and pass other cars.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 17:25 (Ref:648642)   #67
kartingdad
Veteran

A certain driver turned up in a 95 Swift last year for the last 4 rounds of the northern series.

He won 3 and came 2nd in the other. He was still on his novice plates. When his engine went to be rebuilt in April (after 3 rounds) rather than it being a 'cheater' as paddock gossip allegedly had it, it was in fact so tired it cost £2500 to sort.

As I said before, just try a bit harder and get your driver to think! For instance this season this same driver blew his start in the wet and dropped from pole to about 9th or tenth by Old Hall. By the end of lap 2 he was second.

I always say to my driver, "if Senna could get the car round faster, why can't you?'

I'm not trying to blow a trumpet, but it's nearly always the driver, not the car.(Within reason).

Last edited by kartingdad; 1 Jul 2003 at 17:27.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 17:54 (Ref:648674)   #68
JR Ewing
Veteran

That'll be your son then, will it?
Old 1 Jul 2003, 17:57 (Ref:648681)   #69
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

It all sorta points that way doesnt it!
JR do you ever do any work? or are you on call from work constantly like me? the oil business never stays still....
Old 1 Jul 2003, 18:37 (Ref:648745)   #70
kartingdad
Veteran

JR - bad guess, it was me mum in disguise!
Old 2 Jul 2003, 07:15 (Ref:649236)   #71
JR Ewing
Veteran

LOL.

Most people seem to agree then (with some exceptions):

The newer cars are not that much quicker, if at all.

The newer cars are good for the class longevity and serious credibility of the class

Most people don't want these to become another 'period' class

Anyone with half a brain loves FF1600, including spectators

FF1600 has the closest racing you can get
Old 2 Jul 2003, 07:28 (Ref:649250)   #72
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by JR Ewing
LOL.

Most people seem to agree then (with some exceptions):

The newer cars are not that much quicker, if at all.

The newer cars are good for the class longevity and serious credibility of the class

Most people don't want these to become another 'period' class

Anyone with half a brain loves FF1600, including spectators

FF1600 has the closest racing you can get
Next to karting
Old 2 Jul 2003, 08:01 (Ref:649275)   #73
kartingdad
Veteran

Thats another point.
The Zetec cars with the wider sidepods make it less likely that you can interlock wheels and provide better side impact protection which must be safer for all concerned.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 12:19 (Ref:649535)   #74
Barny
Racer

Barny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If every one agrees JR why was the pre'90 championship succesful untill they allowed later cars in?
Old 2 Jul 2003, 14:43 (Ref:649745)   #75
kartingdad
Veteran

Thats got nothing to do with it. On that basis the pre 87 championship at Oulton would be full......but it's not.