I just found this article today.
GP, I know you'd probably enjoy it.

http://www.racingpress.com/publish/mullin013004.shtml
Old 31 Jan 2004, 17:56 (Ref:857780)   #2
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for sharing that with us, MLM. Sums up exactly what I think of this whole mess.

Last edited by Down F0rce; 31 Jan 2004 at 19:24.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 19:21 (Ref:857870)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good article, and I bookmarked that site also.

You know, when TG said after the court case was over, "be careful what you wish for, it may come true", he couldn't have made a better statement, for what OWRS is about to go through. The hard part for them, has really just begun.

As for re-unification in, 05, you know I was always for that, but I'm really starting to wonder if WE need to do that any longer. Basically, I think OWRS will fall under there own weight, and go out of business without any help. Then Tony can just pick-up the pieces he wants, at fire sale prices, without worrying about how OWRS fans would handle it. TG has the money, TV contract, sponsors, teams, and great drivers to make this work on his own. I mean, after listening to those "fans" for a couple of months now, do you think that theres anything TG can say or do to unify with that series and those fans? Very doubtful, so it maybe time to do our own thing, and just run with it. The IRL puts out a good product, that can stand on its own. The series has grown, slowly yes, but it has grown every year of its existence.

Anyway, it looks like the IRL will do up to 4 road races in 05, irregardless of what happens to OWRS. That, along with the oval schedule will be enough to keep me satisfied, and I'm pretty certain that will be enough to grow the series, and gain fans.

Good stuff MLM!

Danica Patrick
Old 31 Jan 2004, 19:24 (Ref:857875)   #4
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plenty of sense in there and, if you're looking for one series, diplomacy and level-headed negotiations are absolutely the only way forward. But I have to comment on what I see as some mis-reading of recent events. For example:
Quote:
So why not approach the Indy Racing League and declare a mea culpa? One word: ego. Even though Tony George was being made out to look like the bad guy by the Three Stooges (PG, KK, and GF), he was the one expending the least ego and held the most business sense in the courtroom yesterday. If they do not approach George and the IRL about a reunification plan that benefits the two parties, the sponsors, and venues, then they are bigger fools than I think. It is their only respectable way out.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the OWRS guys make plenty of friendly noises towards Tony George just a few short weeks ago? Didn't we hear Gentilozzi talking of George as a "friend"? Some people were even seeing Gentilozzi as a proxy for Tony George! (our fellow poster GP Racer among them )

Now, if OWRS' unification terms at that point were unacceptable, the IRL could have simply kept itself to itself in public and started up the kind of quiet negotiations that are suggested in the article quoted. Instead, we saw the IRL pushing the big red button and trying to pull the rug (engines) out from under CART's legs (chassis). I can't for the life of me understand why they took that route.

If you're looking for one series, we'd better hope Gentilozzi and co. have short memories and try approaching the IRL again sometime this year. Unfortunately, I think their collective egos are just as big as anything the IRL has to offer.

One other thing - "25 to 30 race schedule" will never happen. Open-wheel racing is just too expensive for that. Much as I'd love a race every week!
Old 31 Jan 2004, 19:42 (Ref:857907)   #5
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Testure
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the OWRS guys make plenty of friendly noises towards Tony George just a few short weeks ago? Didn't we hear Gentilozzi talking of George as a "friend"? Some people were even seeing Gentilozzi as a proxy for Tony George! (our fellow poster GP Racer among them )
Your right on the money there testure!

I'm baffled as to what went wrong between these two guys. PG made it seem like a deal was almost imminent, then boom, the name calling and immature behavior started.

I can't help but believe, that PG thought he had a deal, and for whatever reason, it went bad, or he feels he got screwed. But we'll probably never know, because TG seems to rarely make public statements about anything, unlike PG who is always talking!
Old 31 Jan 2004, 19:47 (Ref:857917)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I've read PG even approached TG with a serious offer about a merger, but since TG wasn't too interested in the liabilites that came with it, he declined.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 20:01 (Ref:857930)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
But why didn't TG know that if he would have won in court, he still would have been stuck with the liabilities?

Him and his team of lawyers, seemed woefully unprepared for this fight in court, and maybe its a good thing he didn't win, because it could have turned into a mess.

Danica Patrick