Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Dec 2004, 17:10 (Ref:1189441)   #1
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's an interesting article

This article from Champweb.net that has an interesting take on what the 2005 season should bring.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 17:29 (Ref:1189447)   #2
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I`ve read that, Don Sklenka is always a good read, especially for a Champ Car pick-me-up. Don`t now if I really agree with the Argentina comment if it`s a street race.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 19:06 (Ref:1189474)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
-OWRS finds car additions at the last minute to field 18 cars on the grid.
Shouldn't that be 'funds car additions'?

Interesting stuff in general, adn I'd agree that the overall position now is stronger than most could've imagined, and the field for 2005 should be strong.

(Editted simply to repair a formatting typo)

Last edited by macdaddy; 29 Dec 2004 at 19:12.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1189483)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Champ Car goes to Argentina and races on the streets they should have their heads examined!!!

There are good purpose-built racing circuits in Argentina that could easily host a Champ Car race....and the first one on the list should be Buenos Aires itself....a top-notch facility that has hosted F-1 races...

Why bother racing in the streets when there are good venues to compete at that have the necessary facilities to host the teams, the media and the fans???

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 29 Dec 2004 at 19:36.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 29 Dec 2004, 20:25 (Ref:1189505)   #5
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is Wilson VS. Allmendinger gonna be THAT big of a controversial issue?
Old 29 Dec 2004, 20:38 (Ref:1189517)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Only if they beat the **** out of each other in the paddock and the police have to be called to break it up

Old 29 Dec 2004, 21:06 (Ref:1189534)   #7
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Shouldn't that be 'funds car additions'?
Yeah, well they were expecting 2 green ones and two brown ones, but at the last minute they followed the carrot on a stick and went elsewhere, so a scramble ensued that probably involved $$$.....won't happen this/next year though!

Funny that that particular quote was highlighted, instead of the much more important one above it....you know...the one where they did whatever it took to save the series!

I agree that the hold up with Da Matta is frustrating, but as I've heard from so many websites, nothing can happen until the new year because his handcuffs contract with Toyota lasts until the end of the year.
Hopefully things will become clearer and the grouch, whoever that was, becomes more open minded in the new year!

05 could well be a great championship........or it could be another Newman-Haas walkover....it's up to the other teams (perhaps most importantly the blue one!) to catch up with N-H and give us a memorable season....please Santa (Bit late, I know! )
Old 29 Dec 2004, 21:09 (Ref:1189535)   #8
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO, all teammates should have the same level of rivalry as Paul Tracy and Michael Andretti did when they drove for NHR or Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost when they drove fror Williams and McLaren. Sure, sometimes rivaleries can be over the top, however, they usually produce the best racing on the track.

Old 29 Dec 2004, 21:12 (Ref:1189539)   #9
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov
IMO, all teammates should have the same level of rivalry as Paul Tracy and Michael Andretti did when they drove for NHR or Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost when they drove fror Williams and McLaren. Sure, sometimes rivaleries can be over the top, however, they usually produce the best racing on the track.

Well, if there are THREE N-H cars on the grid next year, that could be a pretty interesting team rivalry!
Old 29 Dec 2004, 21:42 (Ref:1189549)   #10
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed!
Old 30 Dec 2004, 01:28 (Ref:1189634)   #11
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
If Champ Car goes to Argentina and races on the streets they should have their heads examined!!!
There are good purpose-built racing circuits in Argentina that could easily host a Champ Car race....and the first one on the list should be Buenos Aires itself....a top-notch facility that has hosted F-1 races...
Why bother racing in the streets when there are good venues to compete at that have the necessary facilities to host the teams, the media and the fans???
On this I agree 100%. But every place I had asked about this is adement that it`s NOT using the F1 circuit because it needs upgrades that cost $$$. The question then would be how much could it cost compared to a temparary closed course with barricades that disrupt the normal operations of a city for 1 or 2 weeks. Any upgrades at the F1 track would be last for years and would be a good ROI.
Beats me. Maybe it`s lack of confidence of CC returning.
Old 30 Dec 2004, 01:59 (Ref:1189643)   #12
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
On this I agree 100%. But every place I had asked about this is adement that it`s NOT using the F1 circuit because it needs upgrades that cost $$$. The question then would be how much could it cost compared to a temparary closed course with barricades that disrupt the normal operations of a city for 1 or 2 weeks. Any upgrades at the F1 track would be last for years and would be a good ROI.
Beats me. Maybe it`s lack of confidence of CC returning.
Well, from nothing more than a racing point of view, the track F1 used to race on is nothing to write home about, racing wise....wouldn't make for a great race IMO (it even has it's own ripoff Corkscrew like chicane....probably now called the "Senna S" as a lot of chicanes are these days,....)

Of course a potential street track might not be any better....but they just might strike gold and come up with another layout like Toronto or Surfers, you never know!
Old 30 Dec 2004, 09:07 (Ref:1189729)   #13
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of the items mentioned in the article aren't that big of a deal. (SB became champ. Great for him, but how is this an accomplishment of the serie?)

Imo the important accomplishments achieved by CC are:
* They ran the season, without major problems
* By purchasing PI and cosworth, they showed they are in this for a long time and willing to spend a big amount of money.

The other issues are imo minor issues.
Old 30 Dec 2004, 11:34 (Ref:1189812)   #14
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True Roninho - ChampCar's achievements haven't been quite as great as Schlenka and their other fanboys might tell you, but the positives are over-riding all the same.

As for Beunos Aries' racetrack, I'd agree that it's no classic, although the 4 F1 races held there were fairly good. Compared to Brazil and various regions of the US it shouldn't really be a priority to get a race there, especially a street race.
Old 30 Dec 2004, 12:06 (Ref:1189841)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BA is no classic but it should make for a fine race, considering Champ Cars tend to pass more than F1 cars. And I don't see why it couldn't host a race even if it's not to F1 standards. How many American tracks are up to F1 standards?
Old 31 Dec 2004, 00:33 (Ref:1190244)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47
Yeah, well they were expecting 2 green ones and two brown ones, but at the last minute they followed the carrot on a stick and went elsewhere, so a scramble ensued that probably involved $$$.....won't happen this/next year though!
:confused: Could you elaborate?
Old 31 Dec 2004, 03:38 (Ref:1190313)   #17
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could that be a 'coded' reference to the events surrounding the Rahal and Fernandez teams in Feb '04?
Old 31 Dec 2004, 07:28 (Ref:1190347)   #18
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
BA is no classic but it should make for a fine race, considering Champ Cars tend to pass more than F1 cars. And I don't see why it couldn't host a race even if it's not to F1 standards. How many American tracks are up to F1 standards?
Let's look at this from another perspective... why can't Buenos Aries become a classic? I mean even though that the modern Mexico City race is still a few years old, I think that we can all agree that it is destined to be a classic for the series.

I am an advocate for starting new traditions when the opporrunity presents itself. So, since CART is gone and CCWS is today, I say start making some new traditions!
Old 31 Dec 2004, 14:07 (Ref:1190557)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Who says Buenos Aires is not up to FIA standards???

THey have been the alternate venue in case an event fell through on the schedule for the past two years....at least that is what my research has told me....

The Autodromo Oscar Galvez is an excellent race course....and it certainly would be suited to Champ Cars....

Frankly, there are other venues in Argentina that also could handle Champ Cars, but Beuenos Aires makes the most sense...

Old 31 Dec 2004, 18:08 (Ref:1190681)   #20
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Only if they beat the **** out of each other in the paddock and the police have to be called to break it up
Champ Car should hire Don King to be their new promotional director....I'm sure he could arrange something like that!!!