Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 25 Sep 2005, 21:10 (Ref:1416273)   #1
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
What did you like about your A1GP Experience?

Not able to attend the race at Brands Hatch or see the race on TV. I would be interested to know what you *liked* about your first A1GP experience?
Old 25 Sep 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1416328)   #2
chrisgr31
Racer

chrisgr31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Not able to attend the race at Brands Hatch or see the race on TV. I would be interested to know what you *liked* about your first A1GP experience?
Having seen the traffic queues on the M25 I assume the traffic is not something most people will wnat to repeat!
Old 25 Sep 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1416351)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it wasn't too bad. the fact the police sent us onto the m25 clockwise when clearly we needed to go anti wasn't great, and it took nearly 45 minutes to put that right because of traffic, but really it wasn't any different to a btcc meeting (i'm thinking about a snotty letter to brands. the spectators were catered for in traffic terms, but woe betide you if you had a car pass and needed to turn left at scratchers lane).

the day itself was fantastic. it's such a great change to be at a motorsport event and feel like it's a proper day out, rather than a botched together set of races. i really enjoyed it. the cars are amazing, the driving was good, and there's clearly some pretty decent driving talent there too
Old 25 Sep 2005, 22:42 (Ref:1416375)   #4
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am with Bella on this one. I was thinking of going home home on sat night after our (FF1600) race but we stayed and what a great day we had. The best race weekend I have had (off the track not on the track!!!). There were things going all day with shows, displays, events etc also the weather was great. The atmosphere when the Sheik said "For the Pride of your country start your engines" was brill

I would like to see a bit more overtaking in the future but the nature of the GP circuit meant that it was always going to be difficult.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 22:43 (Ref:1416378)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Thank you bella! So you enjoyed the experience and would go back for more I take it? My idea here is simply because A1GP is a brand new series/championship was to hear from people who had a positive experience.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1416389)   #6
danieljboys
Racer

United Kingdom
Aldershot, Hampshire
danieljboys should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Did I Like About A1GP?

1./ £35 represents good value for money for a full day's racing activities.
2./ Good support race package.
3./ The pre-race build up. Very well presented.
4./ The great crowd atmosphere.
5./ 1 rolling start and 1 standing start
6./ No particularly long gaps between each of the races on the program

I'm sure there was alot that could've gone wrong for an inaugural event like this but I felt the whole day was well organised and I came away feeling I got value for money.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1416848)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
exactly, i was expecting teething issues, but everything ran perfectly. i loved the london taxis too! only someone who isn't british could have thought of that
Old 26 Sep 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1416855)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Out of interest does anybody know the official crowd figures across the weekend?
Old 26 Sep 2005, 13:26 (Ref:1416889)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i've not seen anything yet, but 80,000 on sunday was mentioned.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1416898)   #10
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It mentioned in the Sun that it was 80k
Old 26 Sep 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1416912)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DSC is also reporting crowds of 80,000. A very good turnout IMO and next year will undoubtedly be bigger again.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 15:20 (Ref:1416981)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The MSV website says official attendance on Sunday was 46,000 which seems about right to me, having attended 12 Grands Prix in the circuit's F1 days when crowds then were anything between 80,000 and 120,000.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1417108)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I enjoyed this article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/4282760.stm
Old 26 Sep 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1417109)   #14
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A fantastic day out.
I loved it and the cheer at graham hill bend when Robbie Kerr was leading was brill.
Well organised and well presented.
Thinking of going to round 3 i loved it so much!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 17:02 (Ref:1417118)   #15
redgate
Rookie

redgate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I loved the a1gp, the atmosphere was excellent everyone was having a really good time, and when they all came over the brow and down paddock bend it gave me goose bumps the sound was unreal. They did split up during the race but it was still good to watch beacuse there were 3 or 4 battles going on, and when they had pit stops in the 2nd race it mixed the race up and it was a pleasure to watch piquet jnr fight through the pack, just a shame team GB broke down!!!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1417120)   #16
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Well I am envious, they have nixed the San Antonio race. but glad that you had a good time!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1417367)   #17
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All the marshals on post 10 had a great weekend, even the lack of lunch breaks on Saturday and Sunday didn't cause too much complaint (and we did get a bit of a lunch break on Sunday for the opening ceremony... Well, we would have done if we hadn't been helping the stilt walkers down the steep medical center hill!) and we got a nice lunch-bag and the program as a freebie.

All in all, great racing, great spectacle, and as for the best bit... it was all a best bit!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 21:52 (Ref:1417392)   #18
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Redgate - if you thought the sound of the cars was unreal - you really must experience F1 in the flesh (I'm assuming you haven't). Especially at the bus stop chicane at Spa on the green flag lap - awesome.

We went down on Friday night and generally the least enjoyable aspect of the whole weekend was the travelling - are all you southerners pyschic? You'd need to be with the p***poor road signage!

That aside as I've said in another thread JP has done wonders with the circuit, staff were really friendly, prices not too bad for food & drink, clean facilities etc.

Pricewise was very good value my tickets booked online for Sat & Sun only came to £40 and Sat offered a good programme as well. Portugal looks like it'll be awesome value at €20 for combined Sat & Sun entry! Shame flights are so dear :-(

I was worried after the sprint race as not much happened, but again I've covered that elsewhere.

I think it'll shape up to be a cracking series, well worth attending and I'm considering a trip to South Africa :-D

Was great to see the thoroughbred F1 cars as well and the caterhams were also fun.

Will definitely be back next year and camping - a cold beer would have gone down wonders in that sun!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1417393)   #19
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MagnetON, again I said this elsewhere already but you guys really are the unsung heroes of motorsport. The work that you guys did over the weekend was awesome. Thanks for caring enough to give up your time.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1417430)   #20
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Well it was a great weekend and I can honestly say that I feel privileged to have been there.

The crowds were amazing and the atmosphere was out of this world. I couldn't pick out a best bit really, but I admit to getting a bit of a shiver when they did the "Gentlemen, for the pride of your nations, start your engines" It's pure theatre, but it really worked!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 23:01 (Ref:1417443)   #21
wensleydale
Veteran

England
wensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
but I admit to getting a bit of a shiver when they did the "Gentlemen, for the pride of your nations, start your engines"
I got that too, from when I first heard it on the promotional video through to Sheikh Maktoum announcing it over the PA system. It was that one line that convinced me to volunteer. Glad I did now, it was an excellent weekend with some great support races. The A1 cars looked and sounded fantastic, I hope the series does as well on the rest of its tour.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 23:04 (Ref:1417444)   #22
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An excellent weekend, exceeded my own expectations. I feel as though they've taken their cue from American racing, rather than F1. You really feel as though A1 GP and Brands Hatch/MSV have made every effort to actually make spectators enjoy their day - rather than F1, when you can feel like an unwelcome gatecrasher.

Most of my positive points have been mentioned by danieljboys, but also I'd mention the circuit facilities - you can tell a lot of money has been invested. Cleanest toilets I've ever seen!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 23:29 (Ref:1417454)   #23
danieljboys
Racer

United Kingdom
Aldershot, Hampshire
danieljboys should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, definitely agree on the toilets. Another plus point. They made as much effort on that front as Rockingham do.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 04:08 (Ref:1417546)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
exactly, i was expecting teething issues, but everything ran perfectly. i loved the london taxis too! only someone who isn't british could have thought of that
The whole show sounds like it was a lot of fun...I have just seen the pictures and the London Taxis look like a riot. The race cars looked fantastic I thought I am sure way better in person though.. are they fast enough?
Old 27 Sep 2005, 06:24 (Ref:1417575)   #25
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljboys
Yes, definitely agree on the toilets. Another plus point. They made as much effort on that front as Rockingham do.
All MSV tracks are looking superb. I know that when JP visits Snetterton, he goes around personally with a digital camera, to all the on-site facilities, restaurant, toilets etc, then sends to the relevant photos to the staff: fix this, fix that etc. It is this attention to detail that shows in the presentation.
Something learned from Lord March at Goodwood no doubt.