Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 19 Jan 2006, 13:45 (Ref:1504432)   #26
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
My feelings are why waste a good talent on a mediocre(Im dyslexic)series?

Robbie Kerr is not good enough, against the likes of Nelson Piquet, we need someone who has been there done it like the Netherland have with Verstappen!

Peter Dumbreck?
Ryan Sharp?
Oliver Gavin?

they have forged international careers, older and wiser is what we need!

Not Lewis Hamilton, that would hold him back! and no way Paffett!
Surely if we want an experienced campaigner you'd want someone who's been to a higher level than those 3. Not sure who that would leave though.....Darren Manning comes to mind, but you could probably name dozens others.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 14:59 (Ref:1504475)   #27
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Manning? With all due respect to Darren he has IMO never really shown huge potential. He had a couple of average seasons of F3000 and has now gone into the IRL and done reasonably well, no more than that. For me there are much better British drivers out there such as Justin Wilson, Dan Wheldon, Anthony Davidson, Garry Paffet, Lewis Hamilton and Richard Lyons all spring to mind.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 15:10 (Ref:1504487)   #28
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
Surely if we want an experienced campaigner you'd want someone who's been to a higher level than those 3. Not sure who that would leave though.....Darren Manning comes to mind, but you could probably name dozens others.

The reason why I thought of those 3 was that they all have good single seater experience and for Peter and Oli have experience in other sorts of racing! Ryan Sharp is a very good racing driver, its just he is relatively unknown back here!

I have to echo Saleen says about Darren Manning, he hasnt shown real potential and to have the whole county's expectations on his shoulders wouldnt bode well!

How about the Dalziel brothers? Marino Franchitti? Paul di Resta, sorry Im becoming all Scottish patriotic now!

Justin Wilson wouldnt fit!

I think we should leave Hamilton and Paffett to get to Formula 1!

We really need a GP2 driver!

Richard Lyons is another one who is too "big" he deserves a Formula 1 drive!
Old 19 Jan 2006, 16:39 (Ref:1504536)   #29
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
We really need a GP2 driver!
Hamilton is a GP2 driver though.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 17:01 (Ref:1504546)   #30
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Manning? With all due respect to Darren he has IMO never really shown huge potential. He had a couple of average seasons of F3000 and has now gone into the IRL and done reasonably well, no more than that. For me there are much better British drivers out there such as Justin Wilson, Dan Wheldon, Anthony Davidson, Garry Paffet, Lewis Hamilton and Richard Lyons all spring to mind.
TBH Manning was the only name which came to mind for me, more or less based on the criteria you used, although like you he doesnt exactly leave me with the impression he's world class.

Wilson's not available, nor is Davidson, Paffett, Wheldon, Hamilton. Lyons might be but is yet to prove himself on a big stage. Who are left with who fit your criteria? Allan McNish maybe???
Old 19 Jan 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1504550)   #31
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Allan McNish maybe???

Allan is tied up with his Audi contract! DTM and R10
Old 19 Jan 2006, 20:03 (Ref:1504671)   #32
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Lyons might be but is yet to prove himself on a big stage. Who are left with who fit your criteria? Allan McNish maybe???
He hasnt? Hes done more than Kerr IMO, after all he was the 2004 Formula Nippon champion and 2004 JGTC champion which are both IMO very strong championships with some extremely fast drivers. His CV is is IMO better than Kerr's, ok Kerr has won the British F3 championship but that IMO is a signifcant level below that of Formula Nippon. Let us not forget also that we may well see Lyons in Champ cars this year too after a very good test at Sebring with Rocketsports.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 00:39 (Ref:1504861)   #33
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Firman won both FNippon and JGTC, and Kerr has outpaced him in A1GP so far...
Old 20 Jan 2006, 06:02 (Ref:1504954)   #34
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Yes But Cos how much of that is down to the team? Remember GB is being run by Arden, Im not sure who is running the Ireland team but I would think that the team probably doesent have as good a CV as Arden has.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 11:50 (Ref:1505153)   #35
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The team definitely plays a significant factor in A1GP and the Irish one isn't as good as Arden. Lyons is definitely quick, possibly quicker than Kerr, but definitely more experienced.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1505175)   #36
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
He hasnt? Hes done more than Kerr IMO, after all he was the 2004 Formula Nippon champion and 2004 JGTC champion which are both IMO very strong championships with some extremely fast drivers. His CV is is IMO better than Kerr's, ok Kerr has won the British F3 championship but that IMO is a signifcant level below that of Formula Nippon. Let us not forget also that we may well see Lyons in Champ cars this year too after a very good test at Sebring with Rocketsports.
I don't disagree with you there, but I've never stuck up for the choice of Kerr anyway. I think it was bizarre, but since he's been there he's done a pretty good job I think.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1505241)   #37
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
me - now that would be a shimoda scale shunt
Old 20 Jan 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1505428)   #38
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say stick with Robbie. He is definatly the best of the rest now behind the steamroller French and Swiss teams.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 08:34 (Ref:1511679)   #39
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
His qualifying positions show that he's quick, he just makes too many mistakes during the races. I wouldn't mind seeing somebody else in the car at the start of next season.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 09:04 (Ref:1511701)   #40
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
I say stick with Robbie. He is definatly the best of the rest now behind the steamroller French and Swiss teams.
the rest of GB lot though don't have the experience of the car like he now has....so of course he's at an advantage
Old 30 Jan 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1511773)   #41
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Arden may have a lovely CV, but are they sending their best people to A1 races? I mean how many embarrassing errors are they going to make?! A decent pit stop and we'd have won last weekend.

I don't know what's causing Ireland's problems but it is a damn shame they're not up there giving France and Switzerland someone to race against the whole race distance. Same goes for Brazil.

Are DAMS the only people taking it seriously?!? Perhaps some companies with 'connections' with F1 aren't ...
Old 30 Jan 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1512026)   #42
play mate
Rookie

play mate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
His qualifying positions show that he's quick, he just makes too many mistakes during the races. I wouldn't mind seeing somebody else in the car at the start of next season.
But has it really been Robbie making the mistakes? I cant think of too many times when the error has been caused directly by him..

I think we can see he is a good racer and is out there to win, he seems a little unlucky though.
I think I'd like to see him in the car again next year.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1512151)   #43
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Robbie is a decent driver but IMO not the best GB can muster by a long shot. He's fast and consistant but is sometimes a bit lacking in judgement IMO. Next year maybe we can get someone who is capable of winning consistantly too, Paffet or Hamilton, Carroll or even Jamie Green.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1512192)   #44
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
I WISH PEOPLE WOULD STOP BRINGING GARY PAFFETT AND LEWIS HAMILTON INTO THE CONVERSATION! THEY ARE BOTH IN MERCEDES CONTRACTS! They won't be allowed to race for any other team other than a Mercedes affiliate!

Apparently Mercedes have very strict contracts for both the mechanics etc and the drivers
Old 31 Jan 2006, 00:22 (Ref:1512357)   #45
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think they should be giving alex lloyd a go by now. robbie is good but i said before a wheel was turned in anger that he isnt the best gb has on offer. i think surtees said that he gave robbie and alex the drive (or in alex's case....i dunno.....opportunity...?) because they didnt have any drives at that present time. i think carroll, rossiter, green, etc etc etc would be better choices than robbie. even danny watts. remember him?
Old 31 Jan 2006, 08:49 (Ref:1512511)   #46
Go-Pakistan
Racer

Pakistan
London
Go-Pakistan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think all the well known names can be ruled out by means of management / career progression (Hamilton,Paffet,Wheldon,etc.).

Best choices:

Young guns - Danny Watts, Katherine Legge.
Experienced in higher powered cars - Justin Wilson, Dario Franchitti, Darren Manning
Old(ish) guard - Oliver Gavin, Kelvin Burt.
Old(er) guard - Martin Brundle, Perry McCarthy.

A lot more choice than Team Pakistan has !

Team France alternate their driver every race, regardless of their performance, and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm. Although being run by DAMS and the drivers having seasons in GP2 obviously helps.

Apparently Team Netherlands had a new race engineer for Durban, seems to have worked wonders and Verstappen's F1 experience shone through.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 09:14 (Ref:1512520)   #47
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
WHAT?!

can't believe you've written people like brundle or mccarthy. that's strange. call me discriminating, but i wasn't even considering considering the older guys....
Old 31 Jan 2006, 09:20 (Ref:1512526)   #48
Go-Pakistan
Racer

Pakistan
London
Go-Pakistan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
WHAT?!

can't believe you've written people like brundle or mccarthy. that's strange. call me discriminating, but i wasn't even considering considering the older guys....
It was meant ironically.........although it would be nice to see Brundle in GP Masters, I always rated him.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 12:05 (Ref:1512663)   #49
Suze
Veteran

England
thank god for that