Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Jan 2010, 10:34 (Ref:2615030)   #1
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
GrandAm to Europe?

According Autosprint (Italian magazine) N.Technology (I thought they were bankrupt) and Pirelli are looking if it's possble to organize a European GrandAm (GrandEuro? ) series. In cooperation with Dallara they did a proposal to the France family. If the series becomes reality depends on European manufacturers.

http://www.autosport.nl/news/19584/s...in_europa.html (in Dutch)

Let the bashing begin!
Old 18 Jan 2010, 12:04 (Ref:2615071)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Please no ..... we have the LMS and Fia GT , this proposal would only take away from our championships .

As Grand-Am may be good racing , the cars look really quite unattractive..... !!!

Last edited by Aysedasi; 19 Jan 2010 at 19:33. Reason: Need I say.....? Family Board and all that.....
Old 18 Jan 2010, 12:16 (Ref:2615083)   #3
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody really think France family & Co. are going to spend millions just to contaminate the ACO's morning coffee?
Oh wait...

Last edited by Aysedasi; 19 Jan 2010 at 19:33. Reason: Come on guys - there are plenty of words to use other than these....
Old 18 Jan 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2615091)   #4
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Please no ..... we have the LMS and Fia GT , this proposal would only take away from our championships .
And that is the two big ones.... because then we have Open GT, VdeV, several nacional GT championships..... that's too much! There ain't enough money for the ones who already are on track,why bring along more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
As Grand-Am may be good racing , the cars look really quite unattractive !!!
Noooooooooooooo! They are a hymn to beauty and graciousness....

...NOT!!

Last edited by Aysedasi; 19 Jan 2010 at 19:34. Reason: Consistency
Old 18 Jan 2010, 13:06 (Ref:2615094)   #5
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post
Does anybody really think France family & Co. are going to spend millions just to contaminate the ACO's morning coffee?
Oh wait...
Well done. +1

Chris

Last edited by Aysedasi; 19 Jan 2010 at 19:34.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 13:36 (Ref:2615108)   #6
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
This was Dallara's idea and that of Pirelli, not the Frances, and the explanation is, I guess, quite simple: Dallara have so far only sold three of their DPs and with stagnating DP-fields and no one knowing what will happen at the end of the current chassis cycle after 2012 the prospects for selling any more cars aren't exactly great - same goes in a way for Pirelli, who signed on with GA when they regularly had 50 car fields and payed a lot of money to become the exclusive tire supplier. Now fields have shrunken to around 30 cars, but Pirelli's developement costs haven't changed, hence they are missing out on some considerable profit as well.

A European series would give them both another outlet for their products, but quite frankly I don't see it happening...
Old 18 Jan 2010, 13:45 (Ref:2615114)   #7
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
maybe Europeans can take the GA and their cars all together and race them in europe exclusively. that way, we in the USA will never see them on our television sets, unless they race at LM.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 14:00 (Ref:2615123)   #8
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Maybe it is the first stage of posturing to try and incorporate a DP class at Le Mans and ultimately into a united ALMS/ Grand am series
Old 18 Jan 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2615161)   #9
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is currently a thread on GARRA Fans about Grand-Am apparently showing some interest in the Super GT - DTM rules sharing. I'm intrigued to see how this all develops. (I'd link but there was nothing of substance there - apparently it was reported in a German magazine called SpeedWeek.)

Chris
Old 18 Jan 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2615162)   #10
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
It was me who posted the link there and I think that it's more a case of DTM looking for partners for their new rules car than Grand Am being actively interested in this. At least the fact that the rumor originated in Germany and not in Florida would support this.

I believe at least one Speedweek author posts on here, maybe he can shed some light on this.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 15:50 (Ref:2615168)   #11
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Oh cool. Thanks SK.

Chris
Old 18 Jan 2010, 16:38 (Ref:2615186)   #12
MrSebring
Rookie

MrSebring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand-Am. The cancer is spreading ....
Old 18 Jan 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2615190)   #13
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they pay decent prize money they could pinch quite a few teams, not sure where they would get the money from though.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 17:33 (Ref:2615207)   #14
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Their formula will not work over here, European race fans are not used to bad-looking, technically simplistic race cars.

Pretty much every approach to install a European stock car series failed too.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2615214)   #15
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
It was me who posted the link there and I think that it's more a case of DTM looking for partners for their new rules car than Grand Am being actively interested in this. At least the fact that the rumor originated in Germany and not in Florida would support this.

I believe at least one Speedweek author posts on here, maybe he can shed some light on this.
DTM is desperate to get a 3rd manufacturer involved
Old 18 Jan 2010, 18:08 (Ref:2615223)   #16
Speed-King
Veteran

Looks like my earlier specualtion was "somewhat" off the mark:

I asked filip, the person who posted the information about the Speedweek article on the Touring Car Times forum, if he could tell me any more about this since i couldn't find a copy of Speedweek this morning at our local news agent, here's his answer:

Quote:
Marcus Lacroix (DTM Expert) wrote in the last weeks issue from the "Speedweek", that the Grand-Am contactet the ITR to swap ideas about the rules. That was the whole information, but may be tomorrow there will be more news. If there is an new article tomorrow, i'll let you know.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 18:14 (Ref:2615224)   #17
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Their formula will not work over here, European race fans are not used to bad-looking, technically simplistic race cars.

Pretty much every approach to install a European stock car series failed too.
They expected a better result than in the USA?

@Speed-King: That may not be the end of the news, but I'd imagine Grand-Am really has little to gain, other than perhaps appeasing Pirelli and Dallara with selling more chassis.

Chris
Old 18 Jan 2010, 19:56 (Ref:2615280)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
I would like to see ACO adopts the GrandAm DP engines for LMP2.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 17:07 (Ref:2615785)   #19
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Once Grand-Am finds that the ITR and Super GT allow materials other than iron, plastic and rubber, they will quit.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 18:01 (Ref:2615812)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Once Grand-Am finds that the ITR and Super GT allow materials other than iron, plastic and rubber, they will quit.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 18:40 (Ref:2615829)   #21
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Old 19 Jan 2010, 19:18 (Ref:2615857)   #22
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
+1
Old 19 Jan 2010, 19:26 (Ref:2615863)   #23
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
This was Dallara's idea and that of Pirelli, not the Frances, and the explanation is, I guess, quite simple: Dallara have so far only sold three of their DPs and with stagnating DP-fields and no one knowing what will happen at the end of the current chassis cycle after 2012 the prospects for selling any more cars aren't exactly great - same goes in a way for Pirelli, who signed on with GA when they regularly had 50 car fields and payed a lot of money to become the exclusive tire supplier. Now fields have shrunken to around 30 cars, but Pirelli's developement costs haven't changed, hence they are missing out on some considerable profit as well.

A European series would give them both another outlet for their products, but quite frankly I don't see it happening...

The Dallara's don't sell, because the Riley's outperform them. Even "if" a Euro series got off the ground, Riley would sell the majority of the chassis anyway. You might have thought that Dallara of all people would understand that when you enter a tightly constricted set of rules series, with series limited manufacturers, that eventually most, if not all, chassis would be built by one constructor.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 19:33 (Ref:2615868)   #24
Speed-King
Veteran

Not sure about them not performing, they won two races last season and ran pretty up front all year long - I think it's more a case of them being a good deal more expensive than the Riley and the fact that there haven't been all that many DPs been sold lately in general.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 20:14 (Ref:2615891)   #25
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
am i the only brit that actually likes grand am?? love the cars and class, however in europe there isnt enough room. now if ratel sitches the fia gt world series idea...which is rubbish with just 24 cars, they go to LMS and make a massive grid then there would be room for grand am