Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 20 Jun 2018, 10:23 (Ref:3832065)   #201
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
For next year do you think Citroen will try and lure Ogier? Or are they going to stick with Ostberg, Mikklesen and Breen?
I think they might try and lure Ogier but, personally, I think that Ogier would be mad to leave M-Sport for Citroen at the moment.

Historically the Citroen team seem to be more receptive to Gallic drivers so perhaps Ogier would have a better time, but I still think there is something fundamentally wrong with the C3. Yeah, the M-Sport Fiesta might not be the best car in the current field, but it's competitive and a proven race winner during both this season and last year.

Despite the promises made recently, I still wouldn't be surprised if Citroen pull the plug at the end of the year.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 11:05 (Ref:3832070)   #202
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think there is anything wrong with the C3, Meeke could make it go quickly enough.

And it s clearly discipline that sacked him!
Old 20 Jun 2018, 11:28 (Ref:3832075)   #203
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with the C3,
The C3 appears to be the slowest of the current crop of cars - which is quickest is up for debate but the Citroens place at the bottom of the pile is fairly assured I'd have thought?

Quote:
Meeke could make it go quickly enough.

And it s clearly discipline that sacked him!
Do you think Mikkelsen, Ostberg and Breen that much slower than Meeke? Looking at the Citroen results I think it again points to the car not being that good. Mikklesen and Ostberg are decent drivers (not on Ogiers level but not many are!) and they're not getting results in the C3.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 11:36 (Ref:3832078)   #204
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember years back Loix in the Lancer, he couldn't get on with it despite being brilliant in the Celica and Corolla the years before. Maybe it's something as simple as car taste.

Maybe the others are easier to drive at the limit, Meeke has shown that the car is quick enough, and he is not as quick as Ogier or Neuviulle routinely.

So praps these current guys are just not quick enough or the car has an issue that they cant drive around.

It is rather odd considering Citroen engineered and built three brilliant cars over 20 years, the Xsara, C4 and Ds3.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 11:49 (Ref:3832082)   #205
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ostberg is a rally winner, but I doubt he’ll win with it either
Old 20 Jun 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3832131)   #206
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It is rather odd considering Citroen engineered and built three brilliant cars over 20 years, the Xsara, C4 and Ds3.
This I definitely agree with. Remember when Meeke had the option of going to Toyota or Citroen and we all thought he would be mad to opt for Toyota? Now I wonder about that decision as the Toyota continues to surprise me (although the Yaris does seem fragile at times, so perhaps not a car for Meeke).

I am not sure what has changed at Citroen Racing. I know there were a lot of comments last year that Citroen had "bought a WTCC car to WRC", so perhaps there is more circuit experience among the current crop of Citroen engineers now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
The C3 appears to be the slowest of the current crop of cars - which is quickest is up for debate but the Citroens place at the bottom of the pile is fairly assured I'd have thought?
Yeah, I personally have the i20 pegged as the best all rounder, but I think you could reasonably argue the Fiesta or even the Yaris: the C3 seems to be unanimously declared the worst car of the lot though!

Even the senior Citroen team management have acknowledged there were/are issues last year.
Old 27 Jul 2018, 08:27 (Ref:3839042)   #207
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Rally Finland this weekend - one of the classic events! Already off to a lively start Mikklesen has been off the road and lost 3 minutes - from what I've seen of it they did well to get it back on the road at all!
Old 27 Jul 2018, 09:08 (Ref:3839048)   #208
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Rally Finland this weekend - one of the classic events! Already off to a lively start Mikklesen has been off the road and lost 3 minutes - from what I've seen of it they did well to get it back on the road at all!
Yeah, arguably the best event of the season, will be tuning in to Red Bull TV over the weekend.

I was expecting Ogier to be closer to the front, but it's early days yet: current leader is Ostberg!
Old 27 Jul 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3839084)   #209
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Yeah, arguably the best event of the season, will be tuning in to Red Bull TV over the weekend.

I was expecting Ogier to be closer to the front, but it's early days yet: current leader is Ostberg!
I think Ogiers problem is road position, he's doing the road sweeping for those behind. Impressive from Ostberg but the margin to Tanak after ss6 is just 0.1 seconds! Citroen need to sign Ostberg for next season.
Old 27 Jul 2018, 13:23 (Ref:3839099)   #210
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
I think Ogiers problem is road position, he's doing the road sweeping for those behind. Impressive from Ostberg but the margin to Tanak after ss6 is just 0.1 seconds! Citroen need to sign Ostberg for next season.
If Ostberg does well in the C3 that means my Meeke/Citroen argument is out the window!

Bad start for Neuville, 1:41 off the leader at the end of stage 7.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 20:59 (Ref:3840964)   #211
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
If Ostberg does well in the C3 that means my Meeke/Citroen argument is out the window!

You were saying?

Great result for Mads. I like the guy and his sense of humour. Anyway, fabulous pictures from the power stage, fantastic stuff. Interesting seeing the attitude of the various cars in eh air, I think we can make an educated guess as to which end of the car the C3's Cof G is biased towards!
Old 2 Aug 2018, 21:00 (Ref:3840965)   #212
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Great win for Tanak, thanks to him, we could now have a three way fight for the title
Old 6 Aug 2018, 11:42 (Ref:3841824)   #213
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
You were saying?

Great result for Mads. I like the guy and his sense of humour. Anyway, fabulous pictures from the power stage, fantastic stuff. Interesting seeing the attitude of the various cars in eh air, I think we can make an educated guess as to which end of the car the C3's Cof G is biased towards!
Yeah, good result for Mads and perhaps an encouraging sign that Citroen might have turned a corner?

After all the talk about improvements to the car, the result was surely a disappointment to Ogier/M-Sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Great win for Tanak, thanks to him, we could now have a three way fight for the title
I still think it's a shame that he isn't in a Fiesta this year, but Tanak has been my favourite the driver the last two years. Would be fantastic if he could get in the mix for the title.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3846048)   #214
cg7aa
Veteran

Not a single word from anybody about Germany?
Old 26 Aug 2018, 09:38 (Ref:3846128)   #215
S griffin
Veteran

Well it's now a three way fight for the title. And surprise, surprise Citroen's results have not improved
Old 26 Aug 2018, 18:53 (Ref:3846352)   #216
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well it's now a three way fight for the title. And surprise, surprise Citroen's results have not improved
Yeah, the success of Finland didn't last for long, did it?

Another cracking drive from Tanak though, Latvala looks a long way from the no. 1 driver in the Toyota team.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 19:35 (Ref:3846379)   #217
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a posting spree right now, sorry!

Tänak is just incredible right now and loving the possible triple fight. Feels so good to not see a Sebastien far ahead of the rest.

Toyota moved their base from Finland to Estonia after Germany, no joke actually.
Old 1 Sep 2018, 10:15 (Ref:3847373)   #218
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Toyota moved their base from Finland to Estonia after Germany, no joke actually.
The reason given (in public at least) appears to be ease of logistics: ferries from Finland vs road haulage via the Baltics to the European rounds. Apparently, the latter is a better solution.

Anyway, Tommi said they need the room for new projects. Interesting.
Old 1 Sep 2018, 10:43 (Ref:3847374)   #219
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
The reason given (in public at least) appears to be ease of logistics: ferries from Finland vs road haulage via the Baltics to the European rounds. Apparently, the latter is a better solution.

Anyway, Tommi said they need the room for new projects. Interesting.
Correct, I read that afterwards. The "heart" would be in Finland still but the maintaining of cars would take place in Estonia.

Another possible reason I have heard for the move was because of taxes. Interestingly when I watched the recce in Sweden last year I noticed that the Subarus Toyota were using were registered in Estonia.

Could a new project be for R5 cars perhaps?
Old 1 Sep 2018, 11:18 (Ref:3847377)   #220
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I would bet they get more space to test aswell, I would think Estonia has laxer rules on being able to just rag a car around the stages, plus the roads are very similar.

And they might be getting tax breaks do go there, cheap rent etc, all good for the country. Maybe even cheaper labour.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 10:15 (Ref:3849343)   #221
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
52Paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So reports are saying Toyota need to revert to an older-spec engine for Rally Turkey due to some homologation regulations. What a pain at this point in the title fight. I'm thinking that if Tanak's recent form is anything to go by, this could quickly become a three-horse title fight. But this older engine may put Toyota on the back foot. Makinen mentioned concern about the engine temperatures early in the season (ala Mexico) and Turkey is expected to be a scorcher. Hopefully they can iron out any foreseeable issues by the weekend.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3850121)   #222
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Rally Turkey is underway - looks to be pretty rough and dusty from what I've seen (very little admittedly!). After SS7 the top 3 are less than 3 seconds apart!
Old 14 Sep 2018, 16:37 (Ref:3850143)   #223
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Turkey never was a great event, was always just the same as Acropolis.

But has to be said better than Cyprus, which was awful, just endless first and second gear nonsense in insane heat and dust
Old 17 Sep 2018, 22:08 (Ref:3851155)   #224
cg7aa
Veteran

Flippin' heck! What was going on in Turkey? I just got caught up and my head is spinning, I couldn't keep up!

I don't think the roads were this brutal when they used to go there a little over 10 years ago. It's almost cruel.

Re Breen's fire, seems to me any time you see smoke in a rally car and it doesn't go away and the crew cannot isolate it, you just know it's gonna end very badly and so it proved. What has he got to do for a result? There's some irony in the costs the team may incur as a result but we won't go there.

Tanak is really in it now! Toyota for both championships? I wonder if after Ogier and Julien's repair heroics, the former was just fatigued and was more prone to a lasp in concentration. It's kinda fascinating watching Ogier dig really deep. Fastest stage after the repair!
Old 19 Sep 2018, 13:38 (Ref:3851428)   #225
S griffin
Veteran

Caught the highlights last night. Big fire there for Breen and what about both Ogier and Neuville throwing it away? Tanak is now really in it and I can see him ending Ogier's streak. Seems to me Neuville and Ogier have maybe been too busy concentrating on each other

So Ogier looking to move to Citroen and Meeke looking to return with Toyota. Will be interesting if that does happen