Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Mar 2018, 13:15 (Ref:3810131)   #1
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Hobbs

I had the pleasure of interviewing David Hobbs yesterday, goodness me what a career, nothing he didn't drive. Image copyright www.retro-speed.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_1142.jpg  
Old 26 Mar 2018, 08:33 (Ref:3810834)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm moving this to the history forum, Peter, as I think it is more appropriate there.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 26 Mar 2018, 09:08 (Ref:3810846)   #3
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An interesting career for sure. At recent F5000 races at Pukekohe and Phillip Island there was a Lotus 70 Ford racing and I thought it may a car Hobbs raced in the Tasman Series in the early 70s however after going through my old photos I could only find that he raced a McClaren M18 one year which may have been his only Tasman year. Did he ever race a Lotus 5000?
Old 26 Mar 2018, 18:06 (Ref:3811019)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
An interesting career for sure. At recent F5000 races at Pukekohe and Phillip Island there was a Lotus 70 Ford racing and I thought it may a car Hobbs raced in the Tasman Series in the early 70s however after going through my old photos I could only find that he raced a McClaren M18 one year which may have been his only Tasman year. Did he ever race a Lotus 5000?
In the 1972 Tasman David ran every race, (8 rounds) driving a self entered (as David Hobbs London) M22 McLaren Chevy. He won the final round of the year at Adelaide, and took 5th in the Tasman Championship that year.
He did not appear in any of the 1970 or 1971 or 1973 races.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 18:34 (Ref:3811040)   #5
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nothing to do with David, but just for info the Lotus 70 Ford I know was used in the 1971 Tasman Series, the first round at Levin by David Oxton and in the 2nd round, the NZGP race at Pukekohe by Chris Amon.
The car was not at Wigram (Amon was in a March), and the car was not at Teretonga as Amon was on F1 duty in Buenos Aires.
Amon again drove the car in the 1971 rounds at Warwick Farm and Sandown before other committments forced him to scratch from the final round at Surfers, with John Cannon deputising at Surfers.
I am fairly sure the car was in STP colours.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 07:03 (Ref:3811157)   #6
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's an interview with David Hobbs in this month's Octane magazine.
Old 30 Mar 2018, 07:51 (Ref:3811861)   #7
Hans Stuck Fan
Rookie

Hans Stuck Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's just launched his Autobiography
Old 31 Mar 2018, 18:03 (Ref:3812152)   #8
Toysinwood
Rookie

Toysinwood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Gentleman

On Thursday afternoon I was talking about the great Jim Clark with a friend. He showed me a black and white photo of Jim on the banking at Daytona in a Lotus Elite. The David Hobbs "automatic" car. He asked if I knew the colour and I made a rash bet I could find out by the next morning. An hour later I went to google and found David Hobbs website so I sent an e-mail titled rash bet!

Ten minutes later had a reply with colour details followed by some colour pictures and some other info as well. The e-mails we exchanged passed a pleasant evening.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 02:02 (Ref:3814256)   #9
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
and the car was not at Teretonga as Amon was on F1 duty in Buenos Aires.
But was a pleasure for Chris Amon, since he won the Buenos Aires F1 race of 1971... Perhaps his only F1 (albeit non-champ) win...
Old 9 Apr 2018, 02:29 (Ref:3814258)   #10
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
But was a pleasure for Chris Amon, since he won the Buenos Aires F1 race of 1971... Perhaps his only F1 (albeit non-champ) win...
Amon also won the 1970 International Trophy F1 race for March in a 701 Cosworth in 1970.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 18:48 (Ref:3837373)   #11
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah David Hobbs, 6 entries (7 including an F2 appearance) in F1 between 1967 and 1974, best result 7th at Austria 1974. Won a BSCC race at Silverstone in 1968...
Old 29 Jul 2018, 09:50 (Ref:3839811)   #12
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
One of those people who only judge racing drivers by F1 and saloon cars - presumably because they are on the telly ? Look a little further and you will see that the widely respected DH was F5000 and Trans Am champion, as well as driving anything and everything (Indy , NASCAR etc ) in a career spanning 30 years .
Old 30 Jul 2018, 12:39 (Ref:3840161)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I for example, always think of him as a sports car driver.......
Old 30 Jul 2018, 13:13 (Ref:3840165)   #14
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think of him as the guy who, during a live NASCAR broadcast, said "uh-LOOM-ee-num must've been invented in Alabama somewhere"
Old 5 Sep 2018, 09:14 (Ref:3848286)   #15
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[IMG]IMG_3372.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_3371.IMG[/IMG]
Old 5 Sep 2018, 09:18 (Ref:3848288)   #16
champcarman
Veteran

Found this pic in my archives.
Old 5 Sep 2018, 18:27 (Ref:3848359)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think anyone is going to be able to see it......
Old 7 Sep 2018, 01:07 (Ref:3848577)   #18
champcarman
Veteran

http://IMG_3372.JPG[/IMG]

Still no good.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 04:43 (Ref:3848607)   #19
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember him in the Carling Black Label cars (Can Am M20, Indy (Eagle?), was there a F5000 car? - those cars looked great and he had some good results in them.), and as a competitor in the 1983 Trans Am championship, which he won. He had some pretty spirited duels with teammate Ribbs, both on and off track. My favorite memory of that season is when he told a reporter that my team's car was the best in the series, and with another driver would be on pole for every race. Ruffled the feathers of our driver a bit, who then went out and put it on pole at the next event, validating Hobbs's point.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3849382)   #20
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
One of those people who only judge racing drivers by F1 and saloon cars - presumably because they are on the telly ? Look a little further and you will see that the widely respected DH was F5000 and Trans Am champion, as well as driving anything and everything (Indy , NASCAR etc ) in a career spanning 30 years .
I am not one of those people thank you.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 08:57 (Ref:3853423)   #21
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I for example, always think of him as a sports car driver.......
Likewise. Live at IMSA in Florida (Daytona, Sebring) CSLs, McL 320i Turbos (can honestly say beat him....we started 'opposite end of the field (a family team in GTU), but the 320s were fragile); Trans Am at West Palm Beach. Good times.

(A little late, but,'killing time before Russia, I thought of Mssr Hobbs announcing F1, searched his name here, and came up with this thread.)

jimclark