Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 31 Jul 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2934044)   #26
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So are we looking at the same coverage for both? The BBC seem to be the ones that brought sky realistically into this, so are they looking to work closely on this?
Old 31 Jul 2011, 16:07 (Ref:2934045)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder;
The motorsport guy is Keith Huewen, but he does NASCAR and Speedway! A little different to F1! And not sure he knows much abotu F1, he is a brilliant bike commentator
He's not a good four wheeled commentator.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2934152)   #28
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to ask Carlton Kirby to apply

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 31 Jul 2011, 19:40 (Ref:2934157)   #29
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Sky Sports News has already ramped up the coverage of F1. Tony Jardine is to the forefront.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 08:09 (Ref:2934342)   #30
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone View Post
I'm going to ask Carlton Kirby to apply

Another fabulous job on GP2 at the weekend, hes got to be a shoe in, especially with his sidekick whose name escapes me as usual.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 12:44 (Ref:2934493)   #31
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
carlton kirby and mark cole. Arrrggghhhhh.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 12:15 (Ref:2934954)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Brundle (or so rumour has it).
Old 2 Aug 2011, 12:52 (Ref:2934971)   #33
Glovesman
Rookie

England
Kent
Glovesman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As they appear to be trying to alienate as many people as they can, they'll probably hire Jonathan Legard.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2935088)   #34
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think BBC-Sky are setting up a joint company using the same presenters and commentators.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 09:53 (Ref:2935710)   #35
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89 View Post
Judging by his delight at the news, John Watson must have something just about signed.
Good god no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R View Post
Personally I hope John Watson isnt the main commentator, I still have nightmares when I remember his A1 GP commentry.
He was rubbish!

As i pay Rupert Murdoch and his evil empire extra money for Sky multiroom, if it's Watson i'll have the feed on the main TV with the volume down and the other TV on with 5 Live commentary on it.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 10:00 (Ref:2935715)   #36
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
My Sky dream team by Knowlesy

This is the team I hope for.

With this team I am confident Sky could build a first class product and keep the sport away from greedy 'free' channels and the general public.
Be careful what you wish for
Old 23 Sep 2011, 14:30 (Ref:2959969)   #37
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just watching FP2 on the Red Button, Crofty is joined by John Watson, and he's as bad as he was during A1GP. Miscalling cars, miscalling strategies and intentions, Eddie-Jordan-complex where he keeps bringing up the past, failed to spot that Buemi had ended up by an escape road (''theres no crane nearby or any way the car can be removed as hes not near an escape road!''....''err John, the marshalls are pushing it down the escape road'').

Please Sky, just say no.
Old 24 Sep 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2960447)   #38
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember in A1GP I think it was the New Zealand car had the word "fishers" on the rear wing, a sponsor I assume.

The camera cut to a shot of the New Zealand car spinning and Watson just shouted "FISHERS !!!!!!!".

Not sure that is what we need with our F1 coverage

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 24 Sep 2011, 22:05 (Ref:2960519)   #39
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Listened to Watson on Friday quali brought me right back to his Eurosport days of the 90's. Talk about memory lane.
Old 24 Sep 2011, 22:56 (Ref:2960529)   #40
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Ben!
I wasn't that bothered about Sonic.
Old 25 Sep 2011, 14:13 (Ref:2960667)   #41
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
I can see them hiring Ben Edwards. He was eager when the BBC where hunting for a Leggard replacement and he's known by the Sky people. Andrew Marriot might be the co-commentator.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 13:41 (Ref:2961672)   #42
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should bring back Neville 'Screensport' Hay.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 14:04 (Ref:2961686)   #43
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Neville Hay, Paul Page and the razor sharp Jeremy Shaw. OhhhYeaaah. Kings amongst Commentators.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2962500)   #44
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
The perfect combination for me would be John Hindhaugh and Charlie Brooker. Shame that team up will never happen
Old 29 Sep 2011, 16:07 (Ref:2962579)   #45
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Watson's "antics" during the Singapore race weekend mean I wouldn't want him involved at all. He just moans about everything. Sometimes he had a point but more often than not, he seemed to be ranting for the sake of ranting. This is F1, not Mock the Week...
Old 29 Sep 2011, 20:35 (Ref:2962690)   #46
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w View Post
The perfect combination for me would be John Hindhaugh and Charlie Brooker. Shame that team up will never happen
John Hindhaugh?! F1 coverage?
Old 30 Sep 2011, 10:56 (Ref:2962895)   #47
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
There was a lot of tweeting going on from the F1 hacks in Malaysia to the effect that that John Watson was doing a great job and had passed his audition with flying colours.

Since then I've heard that the combination of David Croft and Martin Brundle is favoured. That could explain why MB was a bit down because it would be a demotion from main commentator back to colour commentator.

I would still favour Ben for the main commentator's role. IMO, Croft talks too much.

I think and hope Anthony Davidson will stay with the Beeb, because he tends to flit in and out a bit with his own racing commitments. If you want another name for him, in his F3 days he was known as Bones because that's pretty much as all there was to him. He's filled out nicely since, but not grown at all, which seems to bother him slightly.

I loved the Knowlesy's original post with the photos. The one of Kimi was particularly good but I had to look away when I saw the one of Schumi. Don't they know in Germany what they say about men who wear Speedos?
Old 30 Sep 2011, 12:56 (Ref:2962934)   #48
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
I think we are heading towards Edwards and Watson reforming their partnership at Sky while Brundle uses the opportunity of his reduced BBC schedule to compete in some sportscar majors with his son. I've heard Brundle talk in this direction i.e more drives with his son. I don't expect Brundle to join Sky and it doesn't take two commentators to do the BBC highlights package. That would be my guess at least.

I don't see any other obvious candidate for the Sky positions unless they want to poach Croft, Davidson.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 09:03 (Ref:2965396)   #49
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I watched Sky's coverage of the Indy Racing League on Sunday night and this idea of having Keith Huewen and a couple of 'experts' in the studio really doesn't work well. They did the same when they covered A1GP. It's their equivalent of Jake, DC and EJ for the BBC's F1 coverage, but at least they're out there at the circuit.

Huewen is the main stumbling bock for me. They need a proper Jake equivalent, not some faded motor bike guy. They seem to like to have a lady about the place, in which case I suggest Amanda Stretton. She was on the Goodwood Revival programme with the likes of Murray Walker, Ben Edwards and Simon Taylor and did very well.

If they want to poach someone from the BBC/Five Live team, Natalie Pinkham is the one. Stunning as well as highly talented.
Old 8 Oct 2011, 22:28 (Ref:2967740)   #50
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Indycar on Sky is basement motorsports. The Execs probably don't want to know.

The execs are going to be sitting on F1 and ploughing cash into it. Now whether all that razzmatazz and showbiz will translate as a quality service F1 fans will like is another question.