Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Feb 2017, 11:58 (Ref:3711197)   #101
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interestingly this HMS implosion comes almost 30 years to the day when Holden severed ties with Brock's HDT operation.
Old 10 Feb 2017, 06:18 (Ref:3711348)   #102
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
More Here

Imagine what would have happened to the sport if Mr McNamara hadnt pursued & gotten 888 to the Holden brand...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Feb 2017, 19:14 (Ref:3711442)   #103
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
More Here

Imagine what would have happened to the sport if Mr McNamara hadnt pursued & gotten 888 to the Holden brand...
I still wonder if they stuck with Ford factory support. (Unlike Stone Brothers and then FPR) But hey, answers my question I had when I first joined here on the forums whether Triple Eight Aus should have moved to Holden to be like their then Triple Eight UK brethren running with Vauxhall.
Old 11 Feb 2017, 01:42 (Ref:3711473)   #104
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I still wonder if they stuck with Ford factory support. (Unlike Stone Brothers and then FPR) But hey, answers my question I had when I first joined here on the forums whether Triple Eight Aus should have moved to Holden to be like their then Triple Eight UK brethren running with Vauxhall.
That was the huge own goal Ford never recovered from.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 23:17 (Ref:3725647)   #105
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
SMac To AusGT
Old 12 Apr 2017, 01:00 (Ref:3725655)   #106
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is he still putting together sponsorship deals for LDM as well?
Old 12 Apr 2017, 04:20 (Ref:3725682)   #107
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good get by Mr Quinn.
Old 9 May 2017, 03:15 (Ref:3732364)   #108
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Of course it can. It did before. It will again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
When was there not manufacturer support?
I've just read the entire thread and it appears that the last time there was no manufacturer support for anyone was in the 1960s?
Old 12 May 2017, 01:47 (Ref:3732896)   #109
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
That was the huge own goal Ford never recovered from.
Given Ford did not want to be associated with Falcon or V8 Supercars, isn't that irrelevant? In those seasons all they did was promote "New Ranger", "New Focus", "Ecoboost" on the race cars... They were told from higher ups to not promote Falcon after all and to kill the Falcon off.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 13:19 (Ref:3752400)   #110
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Looks kinda interesting as a road car

In this colour, that massive crease in the doors is very pronounced.
It won't be a slabsided Commodore for the liveries to be drawn on any more...
Old 27 Aug 2017, 03:42 (Ref:3761829)   #111
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Good get by Mr Quinn.
Didn't last long

Apparently Mr McNamara is no longer in the employ of AusGT
Old 27 Aug 2017, 04:26 (Ref:3761838)   #112
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Didn't last long

Apparently Mr McNamara is no longer in the employ of AusGT
Have heard the same thing. Thankless task in many ways, being the person tasked with finding the dough.

With the former commercial dude from HSV Racing now at Porsche Motorsport, maybe Mr Mc could do some work for Ryan? (Just don't mention the loss of HRT brand)
Old 16 Feb 2018, 05:36 (Ref:3801754)   #113
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Mr McNamara appears to have landed a gig with Mr Henderson’s DSEG...
Old 24 Feb 2018, 18:24 (Ref:3803656)   #114
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Holden this bad?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CJRY6UdOgQ
Old 24 Feb 2018, 19:45 (Ref:3803679)   #115
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Is Holden this bad?
Yes, both Chevrolet (Lacetti, Captiva, Cruze, Equinox) and Opel (Corsa, Astra, Vectra, Insignia etc) products sold as Holden have traditionally been seen as poor quality in Australia by "most pundits". The Captiva, Cruze and Astra have particularly negative reputations...

[ In Australia, Toyota and Lexus are considered by many as being of the best quality, with other Japanese brands on the next tier typically (Mazda is unusually popular in Australia, although most people know by now that Mazda diesels are total junk). ]

The local Commodore is not much better (the V6 has a whole list of common problems, primarily timing chain stretch), albeit it is forgiven for the V8 engine option.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 22:51 (Ref:3803707)   #116
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could've warned me that it was more Cadogan hatespeach.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 07:40 (Ref:3803743)   #117
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Could've warned me that it was more Cadogan hatespeach.
yeah that guy has zero credibility, so whatever facts might be hidden in there get lost.

Witness his dual personality while raging about VW twin clutches and loving Fords, which are about 7 years behind VW in the same drivability problems. I nearly ran over a pedestrian in NZ in one, that continued accelerating despite a brake pedal pressed to the firewall!
Old 26 Feb 2018, 02:12 (Ref:3803926)   #118
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I nearly ran over a pedestrian in NZ in one, that continued accelerating despite a brake pedal pressed to the firewall!
Depending on the location, you may've just about earned an honorary NZ citizenship
Old 26 Feb 2018, 02:20 (Ref:3803929)   #119
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I nearly ran over a pedestrian in NZ in one, that continued accelerating despite a brake pedal pressed to the firewall!
You sure you weren't subconciously pushing on the gas instead of the brakes-being in NZ and all?
Old 9 Apr 2018, 03:39 (Ref:3814266)   #120
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
AA suggesting big changes at Holden

MAJOR CHANGES TO BE ANNOUNCED AT HOLDEN

Quote:
Auto Action understands Holden’s Executive Director of Marketing, Mark Harland is leaving the company (and, we understand, General Motors), effective immediately.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 04:15 (Ref:3814273)   #121
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Clearly some big mistakes and poor thinking have been in play within Holden's marketing area for a little while now. Emma Pinwill left before she could be removed and her co-architect, Mark Harland appears to be on his way.

Decision to name the imported car Commodore, decision to turn their back publicly on the existing customer base (they're now back-peddling on that one), decision to market product in an airy-fairy way rather than promoting the benefits of the product itself, alleged disconnect from dealers, the list goes on.

It was ALWAYS going to be tough time for Holden as local manufacturing finished and they lack "hero" cars from other parts of the GM empire that they could use (as Ford Oz has done with Mustang & Focus RS) but dumb decisions on top of that have not helped the company's position.

For example, there are thousands of V8 engined Holden owners out there, many of whom have laid down $70K plus for their car in the last 18 months or so. If Holden came out now and announced that they'd have RHD Camaros, or Caddys or whatever in 2020, many of those existing owners might wait for those cars before replacing what they have now - but in a vacuum of information, those owners might swap to another brand before Holden's plans are announced.

Just feels like Holden's marketing approach has gone from people actually doing stuff to people just wanting to sound smart, from substance to fluff - at some point heads would have had to roll and it sounds like that is happening.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 04:26 (Ref:3814275)   #122
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Bring back Mr McNamara, all is forgiven!!
Old 9 Apr 2018, 04:52 (Ref:3814279)   #123
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bring back Mr McNamara, all is forgiven!!
Is he still about looking after another Tier/Series of motorsport?
Old 9 Apr 2018, 05:02 (Ref:3814281)   #124
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Clearly some big mistakes and poor thinking have been in play within Holden's marketing area for a little while now. Emma Pinwill left before she could be removed and her co-architect, Mark Harland appears to be on his way.

Decision to name the imported car Commodore, decision to turn their back publicly on the existing customer base (they're now back-peddling on that one), decision to market product in an airy-fairy way rather than promoting the benefits of the product itself, alleged disconnect from dealers, the list goes on.

It was ALWAYS going to be tough time for Holden as local manufacturing finished and they lack "hero" cars from other parts of the GM empire that they could use (as Ford Oz has done with Mustang & Focus RS) but dumb decisions on top of that have not helped the company's position.

For example, there are thousands of V8 engined Holden owners out there, many of whom have laid down $70K plus for their car in the last 18 months or so. If Holden came out now and announced that they'd have RHD Camaros, or Caddys or whatever in 2020, many of those existing owners might wait for those cars before replacing what they have now - but in a vacuum of information, those owners might swap to another brand before Holden's plans are announced.

Just feels like Holden's marketing approach has gone from people actually doing stuff to people just wanting to sound smart, from substance to fluff - at some point heads would have had to roll and it sounds like that is happening.
Speaking with a close friend last week who works at Holden he said much the same thing.

He can't believe how Holden have gone out of their way to alienate their loyal customers.

Although he does agree with the continued use of the Commodore name. I disagreed on that one with him.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 05:42 (Ref:3814282)   #125
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
It's not a question of might. I'm a commodore owner and looking at other brands for when the time comes to replace the mighty steed. Already looking at a Toyota 86. Plus I'm not the only one with this mindset as a small group of us are looking beyond the Lion and yellow bow-tie.