Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 May 2017, 22:00 (Ref:3733075)   #1551
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Any ageing rockers out there bbc4 9pm tonight.
The day the music died. So true.
Old 13 May 2017, 03:06 (Ref:3733114)   #1552
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
One of the Manchester Ford Agents back in the 50s and 60s was Nunns - a courtesy uncle worked there as their chief diagnostic tester - as a car-mad youth I thought it was great to get the inside track whenever a new car was issued....as well as hearing tales such as when the Police got Mk1 3.0 Capris and came back complaining that they got a bit unstable at 120+, and similarly were prone to violent brake judder when slowing from those speeds........My uncle asked how he was supposed to test them for that.......and they told him to take off the cover that was routinely fitted over the roof-mounted Police sign and siren whilst in for service, and no-one would bother him...... He wasn't convinced
Nothing related to the Police but the story reminds me of a chap who was a neighbour of my mother in the South. A Northerner living in the South making a lot of money working for a Financial Services company flogging pensions and investments. Also something of a petrolhead.

He'd bought a BMW 330 Coupe which was used for business and for regular trips back to the north. He reckoned the car suffered from poor handling and quite severe steering shake at about 120mph and was convinced there was something amiss with suspension bushes or something having already spent a small fortune on changes of tyres which were hardly worn at all.

Getting annoyed with the dealer who simply said they could find nothing wrong he tried to insist that one of their people went out with him on a test drive so he could show them the problem at 120+.

Unsurprisingly the dealer declined the offer and his further suggestion that hew would like their own people to try it if they would not go out with him.

Much as one sympathised with him over the potential problem he thought he had I thought it was a bit much expecting the dealer to go so far out on a limb but he was quite serious about it and could not understand why they should refuse.

That one could have been a bit interesting to explain if they had run the test and been unlucky.
Old 13 May 2017, 04:57 (Ref:3733122)   #1553
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Grant, to please a guy I do love, our Bob, one part of my childhood.
Outside my college was a small garage, showing Iso Rivolta and another name we could hardly pronounce, Ya-ma-ha. This Sonauto company was partly held by Auguste Veuillet nicknamed "Toto", so french and sunday driver.
All the mechanics loved him. Each time their job on an Iso was completed they were waiting for the famous sentence (said with a tough accent): "I'm gonna test it myself on the autoroute, ya see…" Everybody knew that very often the car was about to be wrecked and sold to the insurance! Funny days.
Old 13 May 2017, 06:19 (Ref:3733127)   #1554
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Any ageing rockers out there bbc4 9pm tonight.
Not Eurovision then..... iplayer is my friend. Thanks for the heads up!

Richard, H E Nunn was national, part of the Mann Egerton and subsequently Inchcape empire. (But wasn't the NW home of another big Ford group?) The Norwich branch supplied all the unmarked police Capris, so I always knew the registration numbers and colours. Not that I ever broke any motoring laws, of course!
Old 13 May 2017, 07:38 (Ref:3733133)   #1555
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Bob, you tease!

Don't keep us in suspense - what an Imp you are!

I think it's the first time anyone has mentioned a Hillman.
Not, at least, a Minx Grant!
Old 13 May 2017, 07:54 (Ref:3733134)   #1556
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Not, at least, a Minx Grant!
Did you have to search for that word Baub? (What I mean is, were you a Hillman Hunter?)
Old 13 May 2017, 08:14 (Ref:3733139)   #1557
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Aging rock 'n' Rollers my friend. Rockers are an altogether different breed, and not to be admired in any degree.

Memories?

I have seen, live, Bill Haley, Jerry lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Fats Domino, Roy Orbison, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Johhny Cash, and a host of other Rock 'n' Rollers and country singers. I have been chucked of several venues around London when the audience rocked in the aisles, something that probably contravened safety laws of the day. All youthful exuberance not rioting and the police were always sympathetic while doing their duty.

My first car was an ex-army Humber with a Ford (?) V8 with balloon tyres, and a dodgy battery, hard to start at the best of times. An ad of the day for Ferodo brake liners ran; "Never start something you cannot stop." Eric revised this to "Never stop something you cannot start."

A 1937 Vauxhall was next and took a bunch of 'the boys' to Bourne for an ORMA, day, Goodwood for Easter Monday, and several other venues, however, it used more oil than petrol, and had a badly buckled back wheel, so did not last too long. Once that had gone I stuck to a bike for transport. Later I bought a used Hillman Hunter that did great service for many years.

Over time I have had Morris Minor (almost a rite of passage back then), Viva, several Cavaliers, and now Astras.

............. can we go shopping now Rob?

I'll tell you more later.

Coming dear................
Old 13 May 2017, 09:24 (Ref:3733147)   #1558
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Again you teach me good things here Bob! Thought a Stiletto was a must have for a gentleman.
Your rock n'roll file is impressive, congrats!
Old 13 May 2017, 09:25 (Ref:3733148)   #1559
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Memories?

I have seen, live, Everley brothers, Roy Orbison, Beatles, Kinks, Hollies, Searchers, Moody Blues and a host more recently including Simply Red, George Benson, Joan Armatrading, Alison Moyet and Elkie Brookes who I've seen so many times I forget, absolute queen of blues. At least watching Robert Palmer these days makes me feel quite youthful!
Vehicles include the infamous 100e Ford Pop which during my lunch break as an apprentice, I shaved 65 thou off the head in an attempt to improve the performance,(hopeless task) numerous Ford Anglias, one of which I put a 1340 Classic engine in, lowered the front and rear and then discovered I couldn't stop it in a hurry! But the one I loved the most was a mk1 Triumph 2000 although it's a close run thing with a BMW635 which oversteered like crazy to the point of feeling like an aircraft carrier!

Last edited by justracing; 13 May 2017 at 09:30.
Old 13 May 2017, 09:31 (Ref:3733152)   #1560
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can claim to have seen the Spice Girls! They performed live at the launch of West's sponsorship of McLaren, as did Jamiroquai. It took place at Ally Pally.

...and on the subject of cars previously owned, a Fiat 124S was a real favourite of mine, as was a Lancia Beta 1800.
Old 13 May 2017, 09:40 (Ref:3733154)   #1561
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I can claim to have seen the Spice Girls! (
Old 13 May 2017, 09:52 (Ref:3733157)   #1562
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Elkie Brooks still sounding as good as ever. Do you like her new single, justracing?

With all this talk of old motors, my first was 107E followed by Taunus engined and disc braked 100E van. Fav probably one of the 205 GTis I had- red 1.9 phase 2 with no sun roof. Far more fun and usable than the E30 M3 Evo II or 964 RS that followed.....
Old 13 May 2017, 10:04 (Ref:3733160)   #1563
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Elkie Brooks still sounding as good as ever. Do you like her new single, justracing?
Only heard it once but I'm booked to go and see her again in July at Brighton, saw her last year at Horsham -ignore the age, what a voice!
Old 13 May 2017, 10:05 (Ref:3733161)   #1564
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Coming from North London, I saw an abundance of live acts doing the club rounds, so many that I can't remember many of them. Bob will probably remember, but we had venues like the Country Club in Haverstock Hill, and just along the road from there, a small place called Conrad's Bistro possibly better known as the Witches Cauldron. Carrying on a bit, we had the Moon Café which on a road that led on to the Finchley Road where there were another couple of places, plus The Refectory in Golders Green. Further up the long Finchley Road (where it became the High Road in North Finchley), a pub that constantly had superb bands on in the back room, was the Torrington.

But on Sunday nights, a constantly changing group of some really serious musicians would turn up at a coffee place on the Finchley Road between Swiss Cottage and the Hendon Way, and they would jam way into the early hours of Monday morning. Not necessarily "pop" music, but sounds that would keep you wanting more and more.

Then, I met the girl who became my wife, and she worked for the New Musical Express. As a staff member she got invites to pretty well all the record releases, so it seems as though every night we were out at the launches. Of all of them, the ones that stand out are (all from Ronnie Scotts in Soho), Osibisa (a fabulous African/Caribbean fusion band based around percussion) who were my absolute favourite, Blue Mink featuring the fabulous Madeline Bell, 10cc and Georgie Flame and the Blue Flames.

Last edited by Mike Harte; 13 May 2017 at 10:13.
Old 13 May 2017, 10:44 (Ref:3733170)   #1565
bauble
Veteran

England
Sadly while attending concerts by the 'stars' one usually had to watch a motley collection of home grown 'talent', all dreadful; Vince Eager, The Animals, The Dangling Blue Jeans, Georgie Fame and so many I care not to recall. When Chan Romero had a hit in America with his 'Hippy, Hippy, Shake' the Swinging Blue Jeans made a British cover version, however, at one Rock 'n' Roll Show in North London featuring Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran (from memory) they tried to perform their version live, but were completely drowned out the booing, heckling audience who appreciated the original. People were walking up to the stage and throwing rubbish at the group, as they endeavoured to complete their 'set'. The next night at another venue they simply came on and dashed headlong through their, limited, repertoire without attempting to introduce the different numbers. Most hilarious.

My company Alfa GTV was great on acceleration, but dodgy over 90mph and cornered like a rice pudding in the wet, but it impressed my kids school mates. One favourite memory was of my eldest daughter's friend, her father had just got his brand new company Cortina, and proudly showed it off to the family, whereupon came; "Leanne Bull's dad has an Alfa Romeo!"

Many years later number two Jennie, and her boyfriend with his Audi were leaving our house to go to his place, while me and Judy were to follow in my old Cavalier. Off they went as I prepared to leave, apparently on the way Jen said "Dad will get there first." "Why?" asked Gareth. "Because he always does." said Jennie. She told me this when they arrived behind us somewhat later. And I did not even try.

Well, Mike, you did ask.
Old 13 May 2017, 11:05 (Ref:3733177)   #1566
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
I saw both the Animals with Eric Burden and Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames live in the 60's and was quite impressed but then I was quite youthful! I also saw the Moody Blues pre Justin Hayward at Weybridge village hall on the eve of the release of "Go Now" which rocketed them to stardom, the lead singer was Denny Laine who later joined Paul and Linda Mcartney to form Wings.
Old 13 May 2017, 11:15 (Ref:3733180)   #1567
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm dreading Tony Blackburn joining this forum....
Old 13 May 2017, 11:22 (Ref:3733181)   #1568
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I can claim to have seen the Spice Girls!
Aaahhh...but did you see the Spice Girls' girls? That is the question...

jimclark
Old 13 May 2017, 11:43 (Ref:3733183)   #1569
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Aaahhh...but did you see the Spice Girls' girls? That is the question...

I don't understand the question....

I have got some of the performance on tape somewhere. Photographers were only allowed to stay for 5 minutes, but nothing was said about journos with dictaphones!
Old 13 May 2017, 12:01 (Ref:3733188)   #1570
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I think he'd be out of his depth- with some of the knowledge in previous few posts...
Old 13 May 2017, 12:27 (Ref:3733191)   #1571
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
The guy is a complete buffoon, I never could understand how he remained in paid employment.
Old 13 May 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3733192)   #1572
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Sad to hear about McGuiness's big off in practice for the NorthWest 200, by all accounts he's pretty banged up, I wonder if he'll call it a day?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/39886243
Old 13 May 2017, 12:39 (Ref:3733193)   #1573
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I can claim to have seen the Spice Girls!
I've seen them as well although I preferred the Abba tribute band that supported them.
Old 13 May 2017, 13:00 (Ref:3733196)   #1574
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Sad to hear about McGuiness's big off in practice for the NorthWest 200, by all accounts he's pretty banged up, I wonder if he'll call it a day?
That's a shame, he'll miss the TT. Wonder why Honda withdrew the bikes Guy Martin was due to ride?
Old 13 May 2017, 13:14 (Ref:3733199)   #1575
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I've seen them as well although I preferred the Abba tribute band that supported them.
Some years ago I took a picture of a group of glamorous young ladies in the Paddock at the British Grand Prix, and posted it on the BBC local radio web site, where some eagle eyed younker identified them as 'Girls Aloud'.

Who ever they were.

Oh! Did I ever mention that I have interviewed Tamara Ecclestone?