Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 28 Sep 2006, 02:36 (Ref:1721677)   #1
Alan 52
Racer

Alan 52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will the lack of stars kill A1GP?

I have always thought that if A1 is going to take off and achieve the level of interest and financial backing needed to sustain a world wide series of this magnitude then the drivers would have to be the best/best known representatives of their country not currently racing in Formula1.For example this might mean that GB has Anthony Davidson, Canada has Paul Tracey,New Zealand has Scott Dixon,US has AJ Almendingeretc.Without name drivers the series will struggle for credibility.The nation v. nation thing will only work if people think they are cheering the best representative of their nation.Without that its like picking the English football team without any Premier League players or America selecting its Ryder Cup team from the Nationwide Tour.It seems to me that the star quality of this years A1 field was down even before the Verstappen withdrawal with teams like Brazil (Piquet,Fittipaldi),South Africa(Schekter) and Ireland(Firman) have less known names this year than last.I am a great fan of the series and will be at Eastern Creek in February but I fear the great potential the series has is being wasted and I'm not feeling too confident about an A1 series 3.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 03:21 (Ref:1721686)   #2
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion...yes and no.

In series one A1GP made it's own stars, for example Salvador Duran, Stephen Simpson and Sean McIntosh, three youngsters that were previously unknown but who were able to step up and represent their country well (two of the three won).

As a New Zealander if I had a choice between Scott Dixon and Matt Halliday/Johnny Reid combo I would choose the latter, although I am a racing nut and not the average Joe Punter.

I agree with the new Friday rookie idea as we are seeing larger driver lineups. You could argue that a 'squad' like this is more representative of your country than a single star driver.

On the other had the Italy line up annoys me. A bunch of unknown apparently journeymen drivers from a country rich with talent. I wouldn't put much on Italy being around for series 3 as I don't see how they will develop any sort of fan base from that country.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 03:43 (Ref:1721690)   #3
Alan 52
Racer

Alan 52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Duran,Simpson,Halliday and McIntosh might be stars to the people who post on A1GP forums but they are not going to generate the widespread interest needed to regenerate a business that lost $US220 million in its first season.The teams still appear to have minimal commercial backing and the fact that they can't find a franchise holder in Japan,one of the centres of world motor racing is a worrying sign.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 04:04 (Ref:1721698)   #4
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes good points. I do hope we see more sponsors becoming involved soon.

Some countries are very interested and some are not at all, so A1GP does need to choose it's markets carefully.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 01:28 (Ref:1723431)   #5
cmotd
Racer

Australia
cmotd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the whole point of this series is to make the countries not the teams or drivers the main focus isn't it. In any other series a lack of stars might hurt but A1 makes up for it with the national pride factor I think.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 08:20 (Ref:1723511)   #6
mctshirt
Racer

New Zealand
The Land Of The Long Wide Bum
mctshirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think as time goes on we will see hot drivers on their way up to F1/IRL/Champ cars and later F1 drivers on their way back down...not so much the F1 stars but possibly well known names within the circus.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 09:38 (Ref:1723541)   #7
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure some teams are picking the driver who brings a budget to the table; kind of like every other formula series in the world. For example, you can't tell me that the Italian Team are picking those 3 unknown guys because they are the best available. I'm sure Panatano would have excepted the ride if he was asked.

As far as Japan, Belgium, Portugal, Finnland and Spain not having a team; I think A1GP are targeting un-tapped markets. Japan already has a 'national' team in F1 and the IRL for example.

Last edited by Fiorentina 1; 30 Sep 2006 at 09:40.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 19:59 (Ref:1723845)   #8
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For what its worth, I'd like to see more 'stars' in the series, for I feel this would accentuate the nation v. nation interest. That said, I feel one of A1GPs strengths is that is can provide a lesser know driver a chance to perform on a wider arena, often when there is little to distract the motorsport press. Also, some of the newer countries have predicatably less well known drivers, so perhaps installing more famous names would overshadow these drivers' exploits.

I think the crux of the issue is how A1GP sees itself developing; if it wants to compete against F1, then the answer to the question has to be yes. If they are happy occupying a very high level but sitting below the pinnacle of the sport and off the most desirable career route for drivers, then the current situation is probably in keeping with these aims.
Old 1 Oct 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1724327)   #9
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
As far as Japan, Belgium, Portugal, Finnland and Spain not having a team; I think A1GP are targeting un-tapped markets. Japan already has a 'national' team in F1 and the IRL for example.
Thank you Fiorentina, I have made this point a couple of times before as well, and was basically told I was an idiot on another forum (which I will never visit again) for making this point. Some people don't get this.

Quote:
if it wants to compete against F1
From what I can see I don't think they have this ambition, not in the short term anyway. You can't replicate 50+ years of history and the worldwide attention F1 gets easily!
Old 1 Oct 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1724333)   #10
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
From what I can see I don't think they have this ambition, not in the short term anyway. You can't replicate 50+ years of history and the worldwide attention F1 gets easily!
And if this is the case, then the fact that there are relatively few 'star' names, will not harm A1GP in the slightest.
Old 1 Oct 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1724760)   #11
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1GP still doesn't seem to have found itself properly, in my view. John Surtees stated that it was an opportunity for younger or underfunded drivers to shine, but the GBR team certainly haven't taken that attitude in other than words ... some countries seem to have taken the view that A1GP is a chance for the younger or underfunded drivers, others have (allegedly) chosen pay drivers (Itlay is being cited) and yet others are picking experienced drivers to try and win for their country (GBR, Malaysia, Nederlands - (until now! - good for them), Australia - etc...)

It's so difficult with the fact that the teams/engineers are so important, and they need have nothing to do with the countries. Who's good - the young drivers, the good teams, the ex-F1/IRL drivers?

It still confuses me. Great fun, loads of absurd incidents, great idea in the abstract, but as an overall concept, it;s still confusing to me.

Talking GBR, I hope they give Oliver Jarvis a crack at it. John Surtees talked the right talk about young drivers last year, but didn't follow through. In the kindest possible way, they did Alex Lloyd no favours at all last year, giving Robbie Kerr all the time in the seat, except for one paltry test drive at Paul Ricard. Now they're talking about alternating between Robbie Kerr (who they are funding in Renault World Series) and the experienced Darren Manning, really good driver (and who will need a car set up very differently to Robbie, I prophesy) but take on Oliver - a proven good driver - as the "Friday tester".

I just hope Oliver doesn't get the same treatment as Alex did, and he can genuinely get a few chances to show his abilities. Otherwise it will just turn into yet another championship where money (in this case the backers' money) talks louder than opportunity or ability for the younger drivers.

You look at GP2 or whatever ... sure it;s only the well-heeled that can race in these championships, but at least it;s the well-heeled up-and-coming drivers, not the has-beens. A1GP seems to fall in no one category, and as such may fail. The "country" tag is diluted by having teams without country affliliations, and drivers who are the young hopefuls or the experienced pros, or the once-were.

Whatever, it's amusing to watch, and I enjoyed it hugely!

Last edited by Asp; 2 Oct 2006 at 08:30. Reason: Auto-censor dodge
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 2 Oct 2006, 12:46 (Ref:1725271)   #12
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My favourite star in A1GP...

ANDY PRIAULX
So, after waiting 20 minutes for him to come out of the back of the garage, Matski asks "Are you going to get Jacques' seat then?" Robert replies "ha ha, I don't know!", signs Matksi's cap, and retreats to his motorhome.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 16:37 (Ref:1725422)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jinxx
It still confuses me. Great fun, loads of absurd incidents, great idea in the abstract, but as an overall concept, it's still confusing to me.

You look at GP2 or whatever ... sure it's only the well-heeled that can race in these championships, but at least it's the well-heeled up-and-coming drivers, not the has-beens. A1GP seems to fall in no one category, and as such may fail. The "country" tag is diluted by having teams without country affliliations, and drivers who are the young hopefuls or the experienced pros, or the once-were.

Whatever, it's amusing to watch, and I enjoyed it hugely!
I've taken the liberty of editing your post there, Jinxxy. Actually, I'm shocked you tried to dodge the auto censor!

I agree. It's great entertainment. I don't mind a few has-beens, because they provide a yardstick by which to measure the new talent and there seems to be plenty of that. Star names do confuse the issue in terms of the overall concept, because then you start following the star names, not the Nations.

Team GBR's new engineer is the guy who took Mike Conway to this year's BF3 title, so he knows his stuff. I think he'll have his work cut out trying to get the car to suit at least two and possibly three very diferent driving styles, but that's he's paid to do!

Oli Jarvis has already had more seat time at a race meeting than Alex ever did, so these Saturday morning young driver sessions look to be a good idea.

I was a little disappointed with Darren Manning's performance this weekend, but a lot of that was down to the weather and pit stop strategy. They should have had the courage to do what Team Netherlands did and leave him out there on wets. It would have saved a pit stop, although I doubt he could have matched Jeroen Bleekemolen's skill at using the wet line around Tarzan. That was brilliant to watch.

I think most of the drivers near the front, except James Hinchcliffe (Canada) had already raced at Zandvoort. It will be a different story at Brno and I'm looking forward to seeing how much the pecking order changes.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 17:59 (Ref:1725488)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It will never topple F1 without proven stars, but it can still fill its niche as an off-season country v country series without them.

I'm sure they wouldn't turn away a Team Finland or a Team Spain; they've simply had no credible offers from anyone ready to start one. A lot of countries which do have rich racing heritqages and lots of strong teams in other championships are out there.