Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jun 2012, 15:32 (Ref:3092098)   #51
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Checo and Webbo aside, wouldn't someone like Kovy make an incredibly suitable no.2 driver at Ferrari?

Heikki gets on well with Fernando, is good team player, has probably come on leaps and bonds in resilience and anayltical ability after tanking round in a dodgy green thing for 3 years.

E.t.c.....
Old 16 Jun 2012, 16:59 (Ref:3092210)   #52
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Kovy's failure at McLaren will always prevent him from getting back to a top team, even though he has improved immeasurably since then.

If they need a decent driver at Ferrari for a year before Vettel in 2014, Glock or Sutil wouldn't be bad choices.

But I think it's pretty certain to be Perez.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 17:57 (Ref:3094250)   #53
alfettafan
Rookie

alfettafan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
I think Kovy's failure at McLaren will always prevent him from getting back to a top team, even though he has improved immeasurably since then.

If they need a decent driver at Ferrari for a year before Vettel in 2014, Glock or Sutil wouldn't be bad choices.

But I think it's pretty certain to be Perez.
Kovy, Glock, Sutil....none of them bring anything that Massa doesn't already bring, no point in making the change for one of those imo...
Old 18 Jun 2012, 20:29 (Ref:3094349)   #54
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfettafan View Post
Kovy, Glock, Sutil....none of them bring anything that Massa doesn't already bring, no point in making the change for one of those imo...
Sutil almost certainly wouldn't he's finished in F1, but not so sure about the other two based on their recent and current form. If Massa was firing on all cylinders I would agree with you thta none of them would be better bets. I'd love to see Timo get his chance with a decent car again after the Toyota shambles but I can't see it anymore.

Then again Ferrari may only be looking for an experienced hand for a season or two so an out and out star may not be required until 2014/15.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 15:44 (Ref:3094914)   #55
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Was reading this months F1 Racing magazine at work last night and it said that virtually every team, including Ferrari has been speaking to/looking at Maldonado. He's had a good year, and a win, plus he brings $19 mill per annum sponsership. Maybe he could be a possibility for Ferrari?
Old 21 Jun 2012, 12:13 (Ref:3095919)   #56
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
How much of the Pot of Gold PM brings would be spent repairing the inevitable crash damage?

I think that when you look at the top teams and how intensely they compete for the WCC, their considerations would be for putting the best talent they can into both seats. They want to maximize their chances of getting the revenue that winning the WCC brings. If a driver happens to have sponsorship, that is a plus but I do not believe it to be a prime factor in driver selection for the Ferarris, McLarens, RBRs, etc of the F1 world.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 13:10 (Ref:3095936)   #57
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Maldonado is destined to be a 21st century deCesaris, IMO.

That said Massa had something of reputation of being a crasher himself before his Ferrari appointment.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 14:26 (Ref:3095983)   #58
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Was reading this months F1 Racing magazine at work last night and it said that virtually every team, including Ferrari has been speaking to/looking at Maldonado.
that's it, where's my tinfoil and the keys to the zombie bunker. 'tis the time for abandoning posts in hell and taking cover before the sun sets for the final time and the cold winters of the apocalypse descend.

*shakes head* i can only hope and pray it's a friends close, enemies closer mentality that has driven these talks.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 19:44 (Ref:3096092)   #59
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't know about Webber to Ferrari but Stefano Domenicali had this to say about Vettel:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100512
Old 21 Jun 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3096135)   #60
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't know about Webber to Ferrari but Stefano Domenicali had this to say about Vettel:

No surprises there...
Old 21 Jun 2012, 22:47 (Ref:3096163)   #61
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
No surprises there...
Just a pipe dream.... ahhh.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 23:44 (Ref:3096179)   #62
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

The real question to ask here, is why would Vettel want to go to Ferrari?
He is well supported in what appears to be a happy culture at RBR, and has Adrian Newey designing his cars.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 00:13 (Ref:3096181)   #63
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The real question to ask here, is why would Vettel want to go to Ferrari?
He is well supported in what appears to be a happy culture at RBR, and has Adrian Newey designing his cars.
Newey to Ferrari?
Old 22 Jun 2012, 08:23 (Ref:3096279)   #64
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Maldonado is destined to be a 21st century deCesaris, IMO.

That said Massa had something of reputation of being a crasher himself before his Ferrari appointment.
As did Vettel!

I can't see PM in a Ferrari or Red Bull anytime soon, but the difference bwtween De Crasher and Maldonado is that whereas Andrea came through the ranks too quickly a la Verstappen, when he wasn't really ready for the big time, Pastor has at least had several seasons in GP2 to try and become a bit more 'rounded.'

On balance it seems to have worked but he still has a lot of learning to do, if he has the patience and mental capacity....
Old 22 Jun 2012, 08:42 (Ref:3096288)   #65
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
As did Vettel!

I can't see PM in a Ferrari or Red Bull anytime soon, but the difference bwtween De Crasher and Maldonado is that whereas Andrea came through the ranks too quickly a la Verstappen, when he wasn't really ready for the big time, Pastor has at least had several seasons in GP2 to try and become a bit more 'rounded.'

On balance it seems to have worked but he still has a lot of learning to do, if he has the patience and mental capacity....
Exactly. Andrea deCesaris was World Karting Champion in 1977 and he was driving for Alfa in F1 in 1980 aged 21. He never really got to grips with the differences between driving a kart and a car and, despite his prodigious talent, was a magnet for accidents from the first time he sat in a car. Had deCesaris been given more time and the kind of help that is available today, who knows what he might have achieved.

Maldonado is talented too. His race win this year was evidence of that. He has had plenty of time and formidable support along the way... and definitely knows the difference between a kart and car. He was 26 when he made his debut. His problems appear to be in the area of mental focus - particularly when it comes to decision making. This has plagued him all the way through his car career and is still the same in his second season of F1. I actually think that, in today's environment with all the help and support available, this is a much more difficult problem to solve than that of deCesaris'.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 14:01 (Ref:3096421)   #66
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Newey to Ferrari?
Now that would be interesting.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 14:25 (Ref:3096429)   #67
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Domenicali to somewhere else.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 15:32 (Ref:3096450)   #68
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Now that would be interesting.
I would be concerned for the future if any one team acquires most of the money, most of the influence and most of the engineering talent, Ferrari already has two of the three.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 15:46 (Ref:3096453)   #69
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
I would be concerned for the future if any one team acquires most of the money, most of the influence and most of the engineering talent, Ferrari already has two of the three.
In 1990 Ferrari pretty much had it all; Mansell and Prost a John Barnard designed car, sponsorship money from Marlboro and yet they still didn't win the WDC or Constructors championship. I know it went down to the wire at Suzuka but even so, with all they had going for them Ferrari couldn't pull it off.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 00:13 (Ref:3098137)   #70
QnickFTW
Racer

QnickFTW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webbo seems like a perfect choice, with the same number of stars as Alonso and a not too shabby 31 podiums to his name , he certainly has the CV for the job.

He is also a true scrapper who will drive his heart of for that extra point or two, not really that accident-prone either. Great personal relationship with Alonso..... and I think he KNOWS he cant beat him, so he will set himself other, more realistic goals and his motivation and confidence wont be crashed to pieces.