Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 14 Jan 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1201191)   #26
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btracer
Apparently they are trying to get some drivers from DTM
The same DTM which is racing in France that weekend?
Old 14 Jan 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1201210)   #27
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
I saw this news on BBC Online yesterday, and was really optimistic until the last paragraph:

It's already been said around the GP circuit any modifications take time, "considerable" is even worse. And, could the question of planning permission radio its ugly head again as it has in the past for proposed modifications to the GP circuit?
I think the planning permission problem referred to the Bernie inspired proposal to build a completely new pits & paddock complex on the site of ancient woodlands! Hopefully A1GP will make do with the existing buildings.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1201229)   #28
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pity it is Sept 18th, but the Goodwood Revival will win for me as it is by far, the best motor racing meeting on the planet.
Old 15 Jan 2005, 08:40 (Ref:1201449)   #29
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
The same DTM which is racing in France that weekend?

Thats what Sheikh Maktoum Hasher Maktoum Al Maktoum said.

Last edited by btracer; 15 Jan 2005 at 08:41.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1202900)   #30
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
That's the intention.
But whether the track gets an FIA safety certificate in time is another matter.

Being approved for the Indy circuit won't be a problem...all they have to do is adjust the run-off area at Paddock Hill bend, like they did for the Champ Car meeting.

...But the GP circuit? That's a lot of work to do in not a lot of time.
The tarmac that was used at Paddock Hill bend for Champ Cars is still there under the gravel. As for work on the GP circuit I doubt it needs planning permission as it is likely to be limited to improving existing track conditions. Don't forget Brands Hatch runs WSB on the full GP circuit with no problems.

If JP has said it will run on the GP circuit then I imagine that means he will have budgeted for track improvements in his deal to run the race.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1202913)   #31
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio
I have a feeling that the GP circuit will be nowhere near as "great" as it is at the moment if they get the FIA licence to run A1GP. I`d sooner have it great for the HSCC/BSB/BTCC meetings that it hosts, than have it muted for the sole A1GP event. There`s no point ruining it for a series which may never happen, and if it does, is probably unlikely to have the longevity of all the other serious race series in the UK.
What makes you think there are any plans to change the layout of the GP circuit? I would imagine the main changes will be to run off areas rather than to change the shape of the circuit in any way. Things like armco barrier will have to be raised and moved and I suspect some areas will need levelling in the spectator area. The Indy circuit already holds a FIA licence by the way.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1202916)   #32
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I think it's also worth mentioning that we are now dealing with a circuit owned and run by Jonathan Palmer, a man who in the past has not gone into business ventures without a great deal of thought and planning, and not as before by Octagon who made several questionable business decisions.

Can I urge you to read the full press release on the MSV website www.motorsportvision.co.uk
Old 17 Jan 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1202919)   #33
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the only improvements that would need to be made would be turning the gravel traps on the GP circuit into tarmac run-off... they would need to turn the whole system into something similar to the Paddock Hill Bend..

Tarmac run-off for the big open wheelers, and gravel for everyone else.
They could just put the gravel back on top of the tarmac at the end of the meeting.

I have a feeling the Barriers might need a bit of working on the GP circuit... i seem to remember a shot of a Vauxhall in 2002 i think, halfway over a tyre wall on the GP circuit... i could be wrong tho..
Old 17 Jan 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1202927)   #34
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
The tarmac that was laid at Paddock Hill Bend for the Chap Car meeting is still there, under the gravel. I agree with you about armco barriers, but if that is all that needs doing along with extending some run off areas, then I can see the work being carried out quite quickly.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 12:41 (Ref:1202932)   #35
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Other than circuit alterations (which I suppose are unlikely) it is still possible to damage the circuit for the spectators (and marshals come to think of it) in other ways. Think of the spectating/photographing/marshaling problems caused by the sea of catch-fencing which appeared for Champ Car 2 years ago (some still remains). It would be a disaster for the GP loop (which pretty much resembles Goodwood with it`s comparative lack of fencing) to be lined with steel for evermore come September just for a 3-year A1GP deal......
Old 17 Jan 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1202935)   #36
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
There is a huge difference between debris fencing and the fencing that was erected for Champ Car. I think you will find that debris fencing such as the normal fencing at all major circuits, will be required. This is a safety issue and designed to protect spectators from injury should any parts of a car come adrift follwoing an accident. I don't see debris fence spoiling the viewing pleasure of the spectator any more tha it does on the Indy Circuit. The Champ Car fencing has by and large disappeared now.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1202937)   #37
Elio
Veteran

I`m always confused as to what can be done on the GP circuit - what with it being "Ancient Woodland".

I am assuming that the reason why spectators wishing to walk from Stirlings entry to Sheene`s curve have to clamber through bushes and trees is that a more adequate path cannot be cut because it would involve removing further trees. Extending runoff surely involves pushing barriers back into the trees - I`m really not sure that cutting down trees around the outside of the GP loop is an easily done thing??

That said, from my personal experiences a Council will give permission for whatever pleases them - irrelevant of such tags as "Preservation/Conservation Areas".
Old 17 Jan 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1202948)   #38
Elio
Veteran

Indeed the Champ Car fencing has almost gone - the inside of Druids is, however still spoiled by it. As I said, to line the inside of the GP loop with permanent fencing - even though only 1 race per year requires it, would be a terrible shame. I spectate regularly on the inside of Druids and the GP loop and the fencing has never been needed. If one race per year dictates the need for additional fencing in some areas then those areas should be made "no-go" for spectators on that weekend.

Stephen, as a marshal you are rarely behind safety fences. There are a large group of people, including all the amateur snappers out there, which value very highly the little gem-like bits of all motor racing crcuits across the country where you can evade safety fences. Each circuit has them. The regulars and enthusiasts find them out and know them well - however there are just not that many left.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 13:01 (Ref:1202951)   #39
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I appreciate that Elio but in the end they are there for your protection and safety!
Old 17 Jan 2005, 13:12 (Ref:1202957)   #40
Elio
Veteran

Indeed they are, but like you admit - the Indy circuit already has the Grade 2 FIA licence. This is without blanket debris fencing - eg. Druids exit on the inside (extremely safe especially now the run off has been extended) and Surtees on the inside (I recall no incidents EVER involving cars/debris crossing the armco on the INSIDE of Surtees).

Of course it would be plain silly not to have fences along, say, Brabham straight or the outside of Paddock. It`s a simple process of weighing up the situation in a cost versus benefit way though. If possible Champcar-style fencing should be used - it can then be removed afterwards. That said, I`m not quite sure what the Champcar style fencing would actually stop!! It must be presumed to have some benefits by MSV though as they`ve left 2/3thrds of the Druids enclosure shrouded in it and also the Brabham straight section on the inside between pit-out and Paddock bend.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 14:08 (Ref:1202991)   #41
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio
That said, from my personal experiences a Council will give permission for whatever pleases them - irrelevant of such tags as "Preservation/Conservation Areas".
Oi! Watch it! Planning officers do read this forum you know!
Old 17 Jan 2005, 14:11 (Ref:1202994)   #42
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
The Champ style fencing wouldn't stop a great deal as it is attached to the wooden posts that hold the armco up. I doubt you will see fencing of that sort on the GP circuit. If there is any fencing erected it is more likely to be the sort on the outside of Druids, proper debris fence.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1203007)   #43
Daf_Loz
Rookie

Daf_Loz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prices for tickets have yet to be announced but you can still buy season passes at the same price as they were before this announcement.

Therefore you can get a season pass that would include A1 GP, World and British superbikes and BTCC races (and any other Car and bike events) for just £125. Even more of a bargain though is the Gold Pass which includes hospitality for every single bike and car event overlooking the home straight for just £375. Check out the prices for that sort of hospitality at the British F1 race!

I reckon that's a bit of a steal, it's one not to miss before any prices are 'revised'.

Have a look at MotorSport Vision's website

Last edited by Daf_Loz; 17 Jan 2005 at 14:27.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 15:05 (Ref:1203020)   #44
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I agree Daf, that's a bloody good deal!
Old 18 Jan 2005, 09:45 (Ref:1203613)   #45
toot toot
Racer

toot toot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anybody got any ideas about potential drivers. Particulally who will be the british one?
Old 18 Jan 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1203634)   #46
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Justin Wilson ?
Old 18 Jan 2005, 11:20 (Ref:1203678)   #47
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ralph firman i throught was the testing driver so maybe him as he will know the car more than most.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1203686)   #48
toot toot
Racer

toot toot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is there any chance of the likes of Lewis Hamilton, Alex Lloyd or Jamie Green doing it?
Old 18 Jan 2005, 12:37 (Ref:1203716)   #49
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
I appreciate that Elio but in the end they are there for your protection and safety!
We have done this argument before;If we are 'protected' but cannot see anything there is no point in turning up in the first place?
Old 18 Jan 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1203721)   #50
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Rob, in these days of litigation the circuit owners have to protect themselves. I think you will find too that debris fencing is also a requirement of the circuit licence and so the MSA/FIM/FIA also have a say in what has to be provided. Surely it is better to have your view restricted a little and be safe than put your life at risk?