Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 30 Mar 2008, 16:15 (Ref:2165257)   #51
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's a series without someone in a pro-wrestling suit.....
Old 30 Mar 2008, 16:34 (Ref:2165285)   #52
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
It's hard to explain. I'll try and use this an an example. If there was to be two Stock Car series like this, and they merged, and say that this was when Dale Sr was alive. If Dale Sr didn't come, you couldn't really say it was a true merge, get what I mean?

EDIT: Also, as big of a NASCAR fan I am, I would want to see the 'new-age' Indycar become more popular than NASCAR once again.

Last edited by Matt; 30 Mar 2008 at 16:39.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 17:07 (Ref:2165306)   #53
manbearpig
Rookie

Russian Federation
Moscow
manbearpig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1
Dixon was his usual stellar self, big win for him.

Marco may compete for the title this year. I thought he showed great patience and maturity for someone who just turned 21. In the past he might have made some stupid move to try and win.

The champ car teams were way off the pace. They should go to Motegi and the IRL guys should go to Long Beach, (Obviously that won't happen)the former champ car teams need the experience on ovals.

I know St. Pete is on the streets, but I think the usual suspects - Penske, Ganassi and Andretti will be at the front of that race as well. Hopefully someone from champ car will be around the front but I have my doubts.
i really doubt having an extra oval CCWS-teams only race would help. the gap is so huge that it can't be cleared that soon. A couple of top10 finishes at the end of the season - that's the best thing that could happen... but i would say - no miracles this year.
as for Marco - i would love that to happen, but i can't be really steady about that. Indy500 should be his main goal(and well it is, i'm sure)
Old 30 Mar 2008, 17:46 (Ref:2165328)   #54
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
You know, I was thinking about this today. It isn't really a merger imo. If it was, we'd still have PT. A merger doesn't just bring the teams, it also brings the drivers and personalities. It will never be a true merger imo, if PT isn't there.
No it was just an acquisition of a few bits and pieces along with the agreed dissolution of it's main competitor. People keep calling it a "merger", but there was nothing "merged".
Old 30 Mar 2008, 17:47 (Ref:2165329)   #55
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
You know, I was thinking about this today. It isn't really a merger imo. If it was, we'd still have PT. A merger doesn't just bring the teams, it also brings the drivers and personalities. It will never be a true merger imo, if PT isn't there.

This has never been portrayed as a merger. The IRL purchased certain assets of ChampCar, and ChampCar has terminated their business operations and declared bankruptcy. This is very decidedly NOT a merger.

Further, even if it was a merger, we might still not have PT as he is an employee of Forsythe. If Forsythe chooses to race than he will race in the series Forsythe is a participant in.

I would be delighted to see PT in the IRL. Until such time as he secures his release from his contract with Forsythe we will just have to be patient.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2165433)   #56
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Sorry John but it has been portrayed as a merger.
As you say it isn't a merger and should never have been called a merger, but that was the way it was portrayed...
By the media and by some of the participants (series owners) of both series...

A bit of a lie perhaps.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:51 (Ref:2165647)   #57
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, the term merger has been used by a lot of people, but, I think, many of the people using that term did not necessarily consider things to really be merger as such: it was just a term used as it was easily recognised to what it refered. I've used the term merger, but not exclusively, but have never really considered things to be what I would actually consider to be a merger. It was/is just an easy way to get at what you are speaking about.

Are there that many people who really care whether or not it is a merger? The main point of it all is that we are down to one series, which is what has been needed, be it merger or aqcuistion or unilateral submission, for the longest time. A proper merger would've been nice, but I actually think having one side admit defeat, before the total end of everything, remains something that we should all be positive about.

Alternately, we can tie ourselves in knots about how the situation we have now is awful, and that TG is evil, or whatever else, and allow collective cynicism and bitter pills to eat away at, and eventually destroy, that which we have left to work with. The situation, in my CC-roadcourse-preferenced opinion, is altogether better than it was before the IRL won the day. I am looking to the future with a sense of hope now, which sure as hell beats what was before.

I just think a lot of this (regerettably predictable) negativity could be so better used trying look on the positives that exist for the future.

Anyway, I will stop.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 23:13 (Ref:2165662)   #58
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bring on a street circuit, hey? That should bring the champ car boys into it a bit more...
Old 31 Mar 2008, 00:38 (Ref:2165717)   #59
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga
Sorry John but it has been portrayed as a merger.
As you say it isn't a merger and should never have been called a merger, but that was the way it was portrayed...
By the media and by some of the participants (series owners) of both series...

A bit of a lie perhaps.
It was portrayed as a merger to make everyone warm and fuzzy inside, but the reality is far different. In any case it's done and whatever consequences result is the way it will be for now.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 00:42 (Ref:2165719)   #60
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After Indy the CCWS guys should be a little better, they will have had some time running the cars by then and things should get better - see what Fernandez did when he switched over...

But the race was ok...the CCWS guys treated it like a test day as they should have, not sure if Viso had a problem or it was just handelling but otherwise but it was good to see most of the teams get away with a intact car...
The IRL guys did drive a good race - the Vision cars were fast too. Anyone know what happened to the Roth cars? Looking forward to St Pete now
Old 31 Mar 2008, 01:31 (Ref:2165750)   #61
foedude
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
foedude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
well done Dixon good race win.
Yeah couldn't agree more it was good to see Scott get some luck go his way for a change.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 03:24 (Ref:2165771)   #62
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1
Hold on now I thought you were not going to watch any of these IRL events

OK, Miami is not my favorite track either, they need to build a bigger attendence or get rid of it in the future.
you know how that goes

But seriously, I found out what I needed to know, it can only get easier to not remember when the next race will be as time goes on. On ovals you need something...I don`t know what, but something to spice it up. Handford? super downforce? 241MPH again?...beats me.
5 cars were on the lead lap, btw. But so much more were more than 5 laps down. It needs fixing. This is not F1, these cars are spec.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 04:56 (Ref:2165797)   #63
Tony Clifton
Racer

Tony Clifton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What it needs is LESS downforce and less stagger in the tires and MORE RPM and power. Drivers will be forced to lift in the corners, but will be very quick in the straights.
Having drivers driver flat out, lap after lap, nose to tail, all protecting the low line (like CCWS did at the first Vegas oval race), is not racing.

It is boring.

I was at the first Homestead in 1996 race when the track was shaped like a mini Indy. It was pretty good racing but NASCAR hated the track, so they re-did the track.

Indycar probably won't be at the track for very much longer.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 08:11 (Ref:2165883)   #64
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
great start to the season for scott - disappointing for the aussie's , bring on the street circuits
Old 31 Mar 2008, 10:05 (Ref:2165983)   #65
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pretty decent race with a few good overtaking moves. Very unfortunate for Kanaan though. Hopefully a few more ex-ChampCar guys will be out there by Indy, and maybe they can get competitive. From what we've seen so far, only Newman-Haas and maybe PKV will add much to the competition.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 10:32 (Ref:2166011)   #66
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Pretty decent race with a few good overtaking moves. Very unfortunate for Kanaan though. Hopefully a few more ex-ChampCar guys will be out there by Indy, and maybe they can get competitive. From what we've seen so far, only Newman-Haas and maybe PKV will add much to the competition.
To be honest, 'KV' (the P has issed off ) already look like they're ahead of Newman-Haas-Lanigan.

And Perera in that Conquest car was looking pretty handy too.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 12:28 (Ref:2166119)   #67
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Correct, I've been calling them KV for ages (still can't get used to 'Lanigan' though....)
Old 1 Apr 2008, 20:42 (Ref:2167326)   #68
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow, didnt even know the first race had happened! Unlucky for Kannan collecting the other car, didnt see much of the ex-CCWS teams, but they will improve over the year i'm sure.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2167955)   #69
georgeboi999
Racer

Ghana
Barnsley, UK
georgeboi999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Clifton
What it needs is LESS downforce and less stagger in the tires and MORE RPM and power. Drivers will be forced to lift in the corners, but will be very quick in the straights.
You'll be getting that in year or two hopefully. It would be need as this racing is awfully boring.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 16:26 (Ref:2167975)   #70
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Sadly I've not had Sky for several years. Is there some form of coverage on the other channels?
Old 2 Apr 2008, 16:34 (Ref:2167985)   #71
georgeboi999
Racer

Ghana
Barnsley, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Sadly I've not had Sky for several years. Is there some form of coverage on the other channels?
Channel five have 1 hour highlights of the IRL. They'll be on sometime next week for the Homestead race.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 16:54 (Ref:2168004)   #72
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Cool, I'll keep an eye out. Hopefully they'll be on during daylight hours and not at 3am!
Old 3 Apr 2008, 15:43 (Ref:2168770)   #73
georgeboi999
Racer

Ghana
Barnsley, UK
Quote:
Cool, I'll keep an eye out. Hopefully they'll be on during daylight hours and not at 3am!
Its normally on around 1 am which is not that good.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2168777)   #74
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Ah well, think I'll give it a miss then. Thanks anyway!
Old 3 Apr 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2168931)   #75
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ah well, think I'll give it a miss then. Thanks anyway!
Hi Graig

Try on line live

http://www.indycar.com/