Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Jan 2017, 09:37 (Ref:3703734)   #26
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
R D P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will have a look - I did give more or less everything to the owner, but will see if I still have something stored.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:31 (Ref:3703761)   #27
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by R D P View Post
The engine is more or less FIA MGB, with a few exceptions.
He could have bought the smaller, original engine, but to save money, he declined that....
The guy is a strange chap, he buys cars for way too much money, then realizes he does not want to use them as they are supposed to be used, then tries to sell them again without losing money (he usually does,though - or has to keep the car...).
And - if it is on the market again, he (again, as with other cars he got help) did not tell... Considering all the effort put into retrieving the history etc. - I might be slightly mad at him !
Have you seen it offered somewhere ?
Ralf, don't get annoyed with him yet! I'm still not 100% certain it is the same car. I'm still awaiting a response from the potential buyer who emailed privately. I haven't seen it advertised anywhere.

If it's a new car which has turned up, that would be great anyway.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 20 Jan 2017, 11:44 (Ref:3703778)   #28
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
MGA 1600 model had front discs, and the Twin-Cam and 1600 de luxe had them on the rear as well.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 11:44 (Ref:3703780)   #29
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Ralf, don't get annoyed with him yet! I'm still not 100% certain it is the same car. I'm still awaiting a response from the potential buyer who emailed privately. I haven't seen it advertised anywhere.

If it's a new car which has turned up, that would be great anyway.
Have to say I would indeed be astonished if it would be my friend´s car that for sale. So will be interesting to hear, which one this is.
On the other hand, as mentioned above, it would not be a big surprise, just a small one.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 11:51 (Ref:3703783)   #30
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
Ok - this more or less is the known history compressed in the auction catalaogue from some years back.

I got many sheets of results and some additional stuff for the years from ´88, but unfortunately nothing confirming the early history. That did make problems with German authorities as confirming the car as historic.

I also got some more informations from Alan Shattock:

I have been reviewing my file on GEG532 and, as with several other RGS Atalantas/JAG's, I find much confusion on histories, especially early histories.
It is very likely that GEG 532 is a JAG chassis (John Alan Griffiths) car made at the RGS Atalanta works at Brookside Garage, Winkfield, fitted with an RGS Atalanta fibre-glass body and very likely with a Ford engine - however I reserve my judgement on the chassis until I see a photo of the rear suspension arrangements but I will be surprised if it an RGS Atalanta rear suspension (The front suspension appears to be JAG but, again, I really need to see a photo taken vertically above the suspension. John Griffiths was employed by and a close friend of my father and there is much overlap between RGS Atalantas and JAG's (I strongly suspect, much more than people realise!). What I know of GEG is that none of the names mentioned in the literature as previous owners of this car are listed in my list of original owners of JAG's compiled by John Griffiths, including an M.R.Prior of Bury St Edmonds. It is possible that the latter may have been the second owner if it.
Unfortunately, at present I have no information about any competition history of GEG 532 car during the 1950's, 60's and 70's. However, I have one piece claiming that a previous reg no of this car was JGV 633 (You might like to check with the relevant UK County authority of this reg no for the person's name who first registered it with that number (please let me know if you do!)
The car was bought by Peter Wardle in 1988 in Snetterton with a Ford Zephyr engine which he changed to a 1650 cc MG Magnette engine and also used the rear MG suspension (please confirm if this is also your understanding?), using the MG registration number GEG 532. It is said he successfully raced GEG together with Malcolm White until 2002.
However, I am confused as I have references to ownership by Neil Perkins (1990) and Mike Haig (Birmingham) and that it was sold again in 2012. It would be helpful to me if you could tell me where you fit into the picture.
Many thanks and regards, Alan Shattock.

So, more or less that´s it - early history a blur...

Now I hope the future won´t be one, too !
Old 20 Jan 2017, 13:32 (Ref:3703815)   #31
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
MGA 1600 model had front discs, and the Twin-Cam and 1600 de luxe had them on the rear as well.
David, yes indeed, but this is not based on an MGA chassis and had drums all round originally, and built in '57.

Ralf, thanks for all the extra info.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 21 Jan 2017, 09:50 (Ref:3704025)   #32
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
OK, Ralf, you can calm down now. It's not your friend's car. On the information that I have recently received it could be an early TVR special fitted with RGS Atalanta body, not unheard of in the mid 50s, as Trevor Wilkinson used them on some of his earliest cars, although they were coupes rather than open. Could be an interesting find but will know more in due course.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 11:06 (Ref:3704035)   #33
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
Great - annoyed-mode switched off !!

Could really be an interesting car - please keep us posted.

Ralf