Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Feb 2005, 23:49 (Ref:1215080)   #101
groupnxu1
Rookie

groupnxu1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosworthyb
Did it run at Bathurst '87. If so I was there and have lots of photos. Let me know and I'll dig them out and have a look.

Unfortunatly Steve didn't run the car at Bathurst in 1987 he built it during 87 and did limited touring car rounds in both 87 and 88 and at Bathurst in 1988 after qualifing drama's with engines it did not qualify for the great race.

Last edited by groupnxu1; 1 Feb 2005 at 23:50.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 01:05 (Ref:1215112)   #102
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by groupnxu1
Unfortunatly Steve didn't run the car at Bathurst in 1987 he built it during 87 and did limited touring car rounds in both 87 and 88 and at Bathurst in 1988 after qualifing drama's with engines it did not qualify for the great race.
Wasn't that the ex-Terry Finnigan car? In 1988, I have the car listed as racing at the Lakeside and Amaroo rounds of the ATCC (DNFs in both) and at the final round of the AMSCAR series before the DNQ at Bathurst. I also have the car listed as racing in the 1987 Hardie Irrigation 100 at Amaroo, Williams co-driving with Mal Rose to a 14th-placed finish.

I know this car spent a bit of time in the classifieds section of Auto Action, but I don't know what happened to it after that.

On the subject of cars that spent a lot of time in AA classifieds, whatever happened to Chris Lambden's Beaurepaires Skyline? That was in there for years! I assume it ended up being sold and returned to its original Nissan Motorsport livery?
Old 2 Feb 2005, 01:45 (Ref:1215124)   #103
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos Skaife
Can anyone tell me what happened to the ex moffat phase3 that won bathurst in 71??
In some of the early MRA's (No. 3-5 from 1993, one of the early one's) had what happened to the previous Bathurst/Phillip Island winners. I'll have to have a look for it, it's stacked away somewhere.

What happened to the ex-Highway Patrol Falcon of Johnson's that hit the rock. Wasn't the remains sold to Alf Grant who ran it in future years?
Old 2 Feb 2005, 02:43 (Ref:1215145)   #104
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
In some of the early MRA's (No. 3-5 from 1993, one of the early one's) had what happened to the previous Bathurst/Phillip Island winners. I'll have to have a look for it, it's stacked away somewhere.

What happened to the ex-Highway Patrol Falcon of Johnson's that hit the rock. Wasn't the remains sold to Alf Grant who ran it in future years?
I had thought I'd heard that the 1971 winner was rebuilt as a road car, and actually was behind the pits at the 1972 event... but can't remember where I got that from.

The ex-HP XD was stripped after the crash. The shell went to John Donnelly, and much of the other stuff went into the 1981 Bathurst winner, which was sold to Alf Grant in mid-1982. Good car that one. Donnelly also at one stage co-drove the John English (ex-Allan Moffat) XD which eventually knocked a big piece of concrete out of the wall at the Esses at Bathurst.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 05:50 (Ref:1215192)   #105
groupnxu1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
Wasn't that the ex-Terry Finnigan car? In 1988, I have the car listed as racing at the Lakeside and Amaroo rounds of the ATCC (DNFs in both) and at the final round of the AMSCAR series before the DNQ at Bathurst. I also have the car listed as racing in the 1987 Hardie Irrigation 100 at Amaroo, Williams co-driving with Mal Rose to a 14th-placed finish.

I know this car spent a bit of time in the classifieds section of Auto Action, but I don't know what happened to it after that.
Steve built the car up out of a shell that he purchased from Barry Graham the the car was caged in 1987 and a lot of Terry's spare parts were used to assemble the car it was then painted in the Silver and White like the CIG Gases car of Finnigans ( I was told that the reason for this was that both Steve and terry were going to run 2 cars but it did not eventuate) the silver top was then repainted to floro orange in 88, Steve sold the car in about 1993 to a guy in Melbourne who used it for club stuff before it was sold to another club racer a few years later he used the car for many years before he sold the car minus engine and getrag gearbox( engine and box are now in the Peter Champion owned and recently restored Brock 05 VL. The car was sold minus engine and box to another melbourne racer were engine and getrag were replaced before winding up in my garage in 2003 the car is still how it raced when Steve had the car except for the Original Engine and Getrag, drivers seat and steering wheel apart from that it is still the way it was.

As the car has a very limited history this is why i am trying to get as much info and Photo's from people as possible so that it makes my apllication for a Historic Certificate of Desciption a lot more detailed.

Any help would be fantastic.

Cheers

Dylan
Old 2 Feb 2005, 06:31 (Ref:1215196)   #106
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry
The ex-HP XD was stripped after the crash. The shell went to John Donnelly, and much of the other stuff went into the 1981 Bathurst winner, which was sold to Alf Grant in mid-1982. Good car that one. Donnelly also at one stage co-drove the John English (ex-Allan Moffat) XD which eventually knocked a big piece of concrete out of the wall at the Esses at Bathurst.
Close Henry, but no cigar

Donnelly didn't drive the ex-Moffat car. English drove Donnelly's car.

The shell of the 1980 "Rock Car" was given to Donnelly who pulled it straight and rebuilt it.

In 1981, English was the lead driver in John Donnelly's ex-DJ 1980 "Rock Car" at Bathurst. Primary reason for this was that he was more experienced at that time and had been to Bathurst previously. They finished a strong 10th Outright.

I'd like to one day write a book about the backstabbing and bulls$%t that occured at Bathurst that year and the debacle afterwards, but Australian libel and defamation laws and other legal issues may prevent me doing so........
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 2 Feb 2005, 07:57 (Ref:1215223)   #107
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconEL
I'd like to one day write a book about the backstabbing and bulls$%t that occured at Bathurst that year and the debacle afterwards, but Australian libel and defamation laws and other legal issues may prevent me doing so........
You should write the book now, in case the memory wanders a little in the future... think of really cool names that may give the plot away if you can, without getting you into the poo... and release it as a work of fiction...

They can make a movie of it... the whole rock thing sounds like something suitable for a Hollywood soundstage
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Feb 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1216237)   #108
cornermsport
Racer

Australia
near Oran Park NSW
cornermsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Steve built the car up out of a shell that he purchased from Barry Graham the the car was caged in 1987 and a lot of Terry's spare parts were used to assemble the car it was then painted in the Silver and White like the CIG Gases car of Finnigans ( I was told that the reason for this was that both Steve and terry were going to run 2 cars but it did not eventuate) the silver top was then repainted to floro orange in 88, Steve sold the car in about 1993 to a guy in Melbourne who used it for club stuff before it was sold to another club racer a few years later he used the car for many years before he sold the car minus engine and getrag gearbox( engine and box are now in the Peter Champion owned and recently restored Brock 05 VL. The car was sold minus engine and box to another melbourne racer were engine and getrag were replaced before winding up in my garage in 2003 the car is still how it raced when Steve had the car except for the Original Engine and Getrag, drivers seat and steering wheel apart from that it is still the way it was.

As the car has a very limited history this is why i am trying to get as much info and Photo's from people as possible so that it makes my apllication for a Historic Certificate of Desciption a lot more detailed.

Any help would be fantastic.

Cheers

Dylan

Just interested to know where you obtained your initial history regarding your Steve Williams car. I know Barry Graham (Speedway, and Nascar Champ) quite well, and assuming we are talking about the same Barry, he never owned a VK Commodore of any description to sell off!!!

Barry was always involved with the preparation and co driving of the Brian Callaghan owned Mobile Concrete Pumping VK and VL Walkinshaw Commodores, but he never owned any of them.

Also, I was always under the belief that Steve's car was made up of the spares parts from the late Mike Burgman Commodore team. I'm sure Steve could assist in its history???
Old 3 Feb 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1216310)   #109
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gnxu1,

If there was any connection with the late Mike Burgman, Mal Rose would also be a good contact. (search v8supercarexperience, tell him Camaroz sent ya!)
Old 3 Feb 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1216324)   #110
groupnxu1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornermsport
Just interested to know where you obtained your initial history regarding your Steve Williams car. I know Barry Graham (Speedway, and Nascar Champ) quite well, and assuming we are talking about the same Barry, he never owned a VK Commodore of any description to sell off!!!

Barry was always involved with the preparation and co driving of the Brian Callaghan owned Mobile Concrete Pumping VK and VL Walkinshaw Commodores, but he never owned any of them.

Also, I was always under the belief that Steve's car was made up of the spares parts from the late Mike Burgman Commodore team. I'm sure Steve could assist in its history???
I got a lot of that info from Steve about 2 years ago when i spoke to him not long after purchasing the car.

Maybe i am getting Barry confused with Brian?

The shell wasn't a race shell it looks like it may have once been a VK Berlina road car.

As for where the parts came from i am also 99% sure that it was also Steve that had told me that the came from Terry.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 11:16 (Ref:1216339)   #111
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the MRA article it says the 1971 winning GTHO was heavily damaged in an accident at Adelaide in 1972, and while some at Ford believe the car written off the logbook for the car suggests it was rebuilt and became Moffats race car again after Sandown in 1972. It also goes on to say the Ford had three or four workd GTHOs and because of practice at the time any of them could have driven the races. One of those HOs went on to become Moffats 1973 championship winning car and is today owned by the wonderful Bowden collection.

We just can't be sure. Maybe the Bowden family have better source... they would have to have better source material over whether their red & black Phase III is the Bathurst winner or not, but I've not seen... remembered that information if I've seen it myself.

Chris Lambden's Skyline was sold to... someone who restored it to factory red/white/blue Nissan colour scheme. His Commodore was likewise restored to its original red/white/blue colours and had the Walkinshaw bits pulled off of it, by a group of Victorian HDT owners. That car, the '87 Bathurst winner is today also in the Bowden collection.

The Johnson/Donnelly XD Falcon has disappeared sadly. The Johnson/Grant XD Falcon was owned by Grant until the early 90's I think when Johnson reclaimed the car and now sits in the Yatala museum sans-Valvoline stickers of course. In Grant's ownership (and in Grants 1984 colours) it spent several stints in the Bathurst museum.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1216884)   #112
cornermsport
Racer

Australia
near Oran Park NSW
Quote:
I got a lot of that info from Steve about 2 years ago when i spoke to him not long after purchasing the car.

Maybe i am getting Barry confused with Brian?

The shell wasn't a race shell it looks like it may have once been a VK Berlina road car.

As for where the parts came from i am also 99% sure that it was also Steve that had told me that the came from Terry.
This is the best part about studying the history of these great cars, its a challenge to find the real stuff!!!

Seeing you have spoken to the man himself, i wouldn't want to dismiss any of his information, and he has helped me out during my days in group n.

I would be suprised if Brian also would have had a shell to sell during that period. I can't be 100% correct, as it was just before i was involved with the team, but i never remember there being any spare shells during the VK years at the Callaghan property, and Brian rarely parts with things.

I would love to know more about this car too, its a great mystery!!!
Old 3 Feb 2005, 21:01 (Ref:1216885)   #113
Rob 18
Racer

Rob 18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore

The Johnson/Donnelly XD Falcon has disappeared sadly. The Johnson/Grant XD Falcon was owned by Grant until the early 90's I think when Johnson reclaimed the car and now sits in the Yatala museum sans-Valvoline stickers of course. In Grant's ownership (and in Grants 1984 colours) it spent several stints in the Bathurst museum.
My understanding of the Rock XD is that it hasn't totally disappeared. Apparently whoever owns the Johnson - Donnelly Falcon will not part with it for love or money, and considering it's very short but famous history, who could blame them from not wanting to part with it. Could you imagine what it could be worth, whatever the condition it's in. $$$$$

I'm sure Falcon EL could tell us more about the famous XD..
Old 3 Feb 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1216893)   #114
groupnxu1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornermsport
This is the best part about studying the history of these great cars, its a challenge to find the real stuff!!!

Seeing you have spoken to the man himself, i wouldn't want to dismiss any of his information, and he has helped me out during my days in group n.

I would be suprised if Brian also would have had a shell to sell during that period. I can't be 100% correct, as it was just before i was involved with the team, but i never remember there being any spare shells during the VK years at the Callaghan property, and Brian rarely parts with things.

I would love to know more about this car too, its a great mystery!!!

You are right about it being the best part studing the history of these cars.

What happened to the VK and the Walkinshaws that Brian had?

I was lead to beleive that the Red VK became that yellow VL carby car that Bargwanna co-drove at Bathurst in 1990, i last heard that the car was raced in sports sedans in NSW some years ago.

What about the Walkinshaws?
Old 3 Feb 2005, 21:15 (Ref:1216898)   #115
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There was one TWR plastic pig VL... it ended its life in 1993 didnt it, against the wall, with DJR parts and accessories all over it.... from Mr O'Brien and Mr Johnson's coming together
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Feb 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1216914)   #116
cornermsport
Racer

Australia
near Oran Park NSW
Quote:
You are right about it being the best part studing the history of these cars.

What happened to the VK and the Walkinshaws that Brian had?

I was lead to beleive that the Red VK became that yellow VL carby car that Bargwanna co-drove at Bathurst in 1990, i last heard that the car was raced in sports sedans in NSW some years ago.

What about the Walkinshaws?
Yep, the red VK was transformed into the yellow VL carby car that Brian Jnr, John Gerwald, and Jason Bargy had a start in for the 1990 race. That was Jason's first start in the great race. This was sold to sports sedan racer Paul Neilson, and sold off again later on, not sure where it is, and would be good to find out.

There was only one walkinshaw, built from a GMH race shell in 1988. It was the Mobile Concrete Pumping car from 1988 - 1990. Then it had the Everlast signage added when Bill O'brien and Brian Jnr teamed up, and it cashed into the famous crash that ended the race early, was repaired, then was involved in Bill's crash into Dick!!!!!

I think this car is more famous for its crashes, than its results. It was the first Commodore home in 1988, Brian had it on the front row, and led a few AMSCAR rounds at Amaroo against Longhurst & Bondy's Sierra's, and had to be the quickest priveteer cars in Sydney during its period.

I haven't seen it, but i believe its still stored as a shell with the damage from the DJR crash at Bathurst. The mechanicals went into a ex WGR VP shell that Brian Jnr raced in Sports Sedans a couple of times, but i believe that it will be rebuilt sometime as its pretty dear to Brian Snr. They still have the XE Group C Falcon stored too. It was restored some time back and has raced once or twice since, when group c was first brought back.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 23:25 (Ref:1216988)   #117
Henry
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
In the MRA article it says the 1971 winning GTHO was heavily damaged in an accident at Adelaide in 1972, and while some at Ford believe the car written off the logbook for the car suggests it was rebuilt and became Moffats race car again after Sandown in 1972....
Falc, I believe that Bowden's website has something on it, and that the 1972 Moffat Bathurst car beacme the 1973 ATCC winner... but was not the 1971 winner.

Quote:
The ex-rock car is around... somewhere. There have been whispers about it's whereabouts, but apparently the current owner is happy to have it sitting quietly where it is for the time being. I wandered around the 1981 XD again on Saturday... a lovely car, but it would be marvellous if it was one day returned to it's original colour and livery, having been quickly resprayed in an approximation when DJ got it back. Mind you the 1984 XE is completely original and in qonderful condition, as is the Sierra... the Mustang needs some alteration though, and the 1993 EB would appear to be a work in progress, and going on the prelimary bit of signage going onto it, may well be going into its 1993 livery instead of the Bathurst-winning 1994 warpaint.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 02:35 (Ref:1217087)   #118
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was under the impression that the everlast walkinshaw was converted to VS spec.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 02:43 (Ref:1217090)   #119
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry
The ex-rock car is around... somewhere. There have been whispers about it's whereabouts, but apparently the current owner is happy to have it sitting quietly where it is for the time being.
It was sold in late 1984 or early 1985. I heard that it sat in a paddock for a couple of years - probably rusting away, but am now not sure of it's exact whereabouts. I can verify that the car still exists however and that John Donnelly has been in contact with the current owner.

The Johnson/Donnelly "rock car" was re-log booked in 1981 after it was pulled straight and rebuilt. Donnelly did not receive the original log book with the shell. As it stands, the current owner has the log book issued in 1981 for John Donnelly.

Whether or not the original log book became the log book for the 1981 Bathurst winner, I am not certain.

Naturally, I would give my left one to get that car back because of it's sentimental value to our family.

CD.

Last edited by FalconEL; 4 Feb 2005 at 02:44.
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 4 Feb 2005, 02:52 (Ref:1217092)   #120
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What alterations does the DJR Mustang need?
BTW, what happened to the Mustangs - the DJR cars (I thought one was written off in NZ?), the Laurie Nelson car, the Don Smith/Bo Seton car, the 2 Pinepac Anderson cars from NZ, the Wally Kramer 'beached in '86 " car - I'm sure some of these above cars may be one & the same, & once upon a time I had a bit of background on some of them, but it's all MIA now

Yeah CD, I remember talking to John about the XD a year or so ago, I wish you guys had it back too, at least we'd see it go to a good home

Last edited by Sultan; 4 Feb 2005 at 02:55.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 03:04 (Ref:1217095)   #121
gkmarshall
Racer

gkmarshall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know the where abouts of any old HRT cars

Last edited by gkmarshall; 4 Feb 2005 at 03:05.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 03:20 (Ref:1217100)   #122
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah...
They turn into KRT cars...
Then they turn into "privateer" ones

DKGandBH
Old 4 Feb 2005, 03:26 (Ref:1217106)   #123
cornermsport
Racer

Australia
near Oran Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_308
I was under the impression that the everlast walkinshaw was converted to VS spec.
This could be true.

Bill O'brien had his own Walkinshaw,(the sky blue car) which was originally the first VL car to be built by Perkins around 1987, when Larry still continued in the Enzed VK. I remember Bill and Larry teaming up together for a long distance race at Calder around the combined road course/thunderdome setup, which they nearly won, i think they lost the lead on the last lap, while Bill was driving his only lap of the race!!

It was later converted to Walkishaw specs in 1988 and ran up till 1990. From Bathurst after that, i think when Bill and Brian Jnr combined, they swapped between cars, so if you saw the blue car, that was Bill's and if it was a yellow car with Everlast, that was the Callaghan ex MCP.

They did build up a VS later on, but i'm not sure if it was out of bits of the VL, Bill's son, Peter drove it. I'm not exactly sure, but i seem to think the remenants of the Everlast cars ended up in Tassie????
Old 4 Feb 2005, 03:34 (Ref:1217111)   #124
Henry
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan
What alterations does the DJR Mustang need?
Right spec bonnet for a start. The one that's on it isn't correct for either it's 1984/early 1985 or late 1985/1986 specification. Be nice if it was resprayed authentically inside and out too, but that's just being pedantic really. Quite a nice little car, and one which promised a lot in its day and only needed a little bit of luck to be remembered as being much more successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan
BTW, what happened to the Mustangs - the DJR cars (I thought one was written off in NZ?), the Laurie Nelson car, the Don Smith/Bo Seton car, the 2 Pinepac Anderson cars from NZ, the Wally Kramer 'beached in '86 " car - I'm sure some of these above cars may be one & the same, & once upon a time I had a bit of background on some of them, but it's all MIA now
Either the Nelson car or the Seton one was the spare Pinepac car in 1986 IIRC.

The history and final resting places of the DJR cars was never fully explained to my complete understanding, except I believe that the one at DJR was one of the original DJR cars, purchased from WA. I thought the one that got its nose just about torn off was sold over there, but hadn't heard anything concrete on either of them.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 03:34 (Ref:1217112)   #125
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mork's VS was a HRT VN. One HRT VR went to GRM to be Bargwannas #35 VS. One went to Paul Morris as well. Faulkner's early cars were ex-HRT. The '96 Bathurst winner was destroyed at PI in '97 IIRC. HRT still own the '01/'02 Bathurst winner. More detail I'll have to look up.