Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 Jun 2007, 08:42 (Ref:1926010)   #1
ooo-arr27
Rookie

England
Bath
ooo-arr27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first day! Combe, 28th May

Nervous - yes, excited - yes, raining - yes! It can only be a first day on the orange side.
I arrived at Combe at 07.45 and headed straight for the sign-on room. I introduced myself as a newbie to which Adrian Fawdington gave a whooop of joy! I was made to feel very welcome.
I was was directed to my post for the day (post G, Tower in). I wanderered expectantly down.
Once at post, I met my fellow post-mates for the day (apologies, I can't remember all your names), as well as my mentors, Mike Skelton and post I/O Nigel Rumney.
The day flew by. There were no incidents to deal with, per-say, save for a number of spins and Pete Diccox using the tyres to slow his approach to Tower! My only on-track action for the day was dusting up Tony Hutchings' oil he had convieniently deposited through Hammerdown into Tower.
Despite the reletive lack of incidents (a good thing?!) I had a thoroughly enjoyable day with a brilliant bunch of guys. Big thanks to the classic drivers for the donughts, and to ALL the drivers for an entertaining day.
The marshalling 'family / community' really shone through and it was well worth getting soaked for.
Having started the day not knowing whether I would like marshalling or not, I left the circuit eagerly anticipating the next meeting!! Horray
Old 1 Jun 2007, 08:53 (Ref:1926020)   #2
Tangoman
Rookie

England
Gloucester
Tangoman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the club, very glad you enjoyed it.
It was a bit of a miserable day but the racing and the company more than made up for that.
Were you the Guy who bought his probans on the day?
Old 1 Jun 2007, 09:03 (Ref:1926029)   #3
ooo-arr27
Rookie

England
Bath
Hi Tangoman, thanks. No, I couldn't afford them on the day, that chap was Miles, it was his first day too!
Now I've had payday, I'll get myself a set. I'm planning on doing 23rd June at Combe, so I've got a few weeks yet
Old 1 Jun 2007, 09:08 (Ref:1926033)   #4
Tangoman
Rookie

England
Gloucester
Tangoman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there on the 23rd too. See you there, I know what Miles looks like so if I see him I'll say Hi.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 09:10 (Ref:1926035)   #5
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-arr27
Hi Tangoman, thanks. No, I couldn't afford them on the day, that chap was Miles, it was his first day too!
Now I've had payday, I'll get myself a set. I'm planning on doing 23rd June at Combe, so I've got a few weeks yet
So you've yet to experience the 'odour' of damp new probans then ?
Welcome to the fold,it's an addiction
Old 1 Jun 2007, 09:12 (Ref:1926038)   #6
ooo-arr27
Rookie

England
Bath
you fill me with such anticipation Martyn!!
Thank you
Old 1 Jun 2007, 14:08 (Ref:1926280)   #7
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes welcome indeed.
Good to hear of a positive experience on your first day.
I've been on the bank for 7 yrs - a relative newby myself compared to some of the cronies!!! :-)
I'm learning more about race control and other aspects of organising a race day and very much enjoying it. I was the observer in the safety car for the afternoon -only one outing with Steve Burns driving that one. I lived to tell the tale!!
Well done everyone on the huge oil slick, lots of good work there.
I love being in orange though, and I'll never forget where I began.
Old 4 Jun 2007, 07:57 (Ref:1928136)   #8
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As one of your mentors! (I have been called lots fo things before ) I am pleased you enjoyed your day. I do apologise for the lack of incidents, I think my magnet was a bit rusty that day!

The main thing is you want to come back for more, even after a day that resembled January more than May. I look forward to see more of you around Combe (and maybe other circuits too?)

Welcome to the fold.

Nigel
Old 6 Jun 2007, 12:17 (Ref:1930185)   #9
ooo-arr27
Rookie

England
Bath
Thanks. Nigel, I will be at Combe on 23rd, I can't remember if you said you were at that one? I am not planning to do any other circuits this year, my wife is expecting (another), so i don't want to travel too far, although once the little sprog arrives, that may change!!
I'm planning on being at sign-on earlier and leave later (yes, I will venture to the Tavern afterwards!) than I did at the last meeting so I can have a bit more time for social interaction. I had a lift last time so had to go straight after the last race
Planning to get my probans this weekend. I have got myself some gauntlets now as well!
Old 8 Jun 2007, 10:17 (Ref:1932101)   #10
Norbert
Racer

England
I will be in the Top Paddock at Goodwood that weekend. Have an enjoyable weekend at Combe. See you later on in the year. Make sure you instil the excitement of marshalling in your sprogs, nothing wrong in lining up fresh blood at an early age.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 19:36 (Ref:1932597)   #11
chrischris
Rookie

England
Leicester
chrischris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the wonderful orange world of marshaling!

Chris
Old 9 Jun 2007, 07:44 (Ref:1932955)   #12
robm
Rookie

European Union
Hampshire
robm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys, firstly a big thank you to everyone for marshalling at Combe in the rain on the 28th. It was the most slippery oily wet conditions i have driven in.

Just a quick question really, we know from the drivers side how much stuff costs to kit us out and run the car etc, but we get a race out of it. How much do you chaps have to pay for the proban suits & rest of kit you need? and do the clubs chip in and help.

Has there ever been a scheme where a marshal was sponsored by a driver or team to help him/her with that cost? - just an idea.

See you on 23rd ff1600
Old 9 Jun 2007, 08:32 (Ref:1932974)   #13
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Rob.
Our probans cost in the region of £35-£40. Normally from AWS.
Then gloves at about £5. Waterproofs, anything from £10 - £40.
A Bag or box to keep our stuff in and that's about it apart from food and drink to keep us going each day, and petrol to get there.

Recently the RAC did a proban swap at the BTCC - rumour has it they might do it again. There have been other sponsorship deals too but nothing widespread.
I haven't seen any driver sponsorship of a marshal - perhaps you need to pick the one who has attended you the most?!?!
I'm sure it could be made to work though. Perhaps best to speak to one of the clubs or directly to AWS?
Old 11 Jun 2007, 21:08 (Ref:1934406)   #14
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
AWS Probans £35-£40 I Wish.......
Paid £57 Last time
The BLMRC do a sponsor scheme each marshal gets a fitted pair of probans from AWS
Old 12 Jun 2007, 07:52 (Ref:1934726)   #15
Norbert
Racer

England
The VSCC do an excellent deal on probans. £30 (+ £5 p&p). You can order and arrange to pick up at VSCC meeting to save the £5.