Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 19 May 2014, 08:34 (Ref:3407749)   #51
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSeat Driver View Post
Just my opinion on the "steal" I guess. The list of spares I heard included in the sale price included such things as all doors, splitter, fuel machine, ride seat, cool suit box, pit walls, tool box.

When I last talked to DJ he had his heart set on this car, hence the reason I assume he will be disappointed (or perhaps he already knows - or perhaps he withdrew his interest????).

Theres a few ST's for sale, and im sure if you went and talked to some of the sponsorship struggling teams, some good deals could/would be made.

Im sure David can join any series he wants.
If DJ could not muster that amount of money together.... Ceprenich has his car for sale as do others, more will come on the market if they cant use them for enduraunce racing. I wouldnt invest in any of the 2 v8 classes as its overpriced ****ing contest.
Old 19 May 2014, 23:54 (Ref:3408027)   #52
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so how many ST are actually for sale? you mentioned the Ceprenich car. has IMS found a home for the Reid ST? will these unwanted ST end up as endurance cars or dragged out once or twice a year as a GT?
Old 20 May 2014, 07:53 (Ref:3408112)   #53
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
so how many ST are actually for sale? you mentioned the Ceprenich car. has IMS found a home for the Reid ST? will these unwanted ST end up as endurance cars or dragged out once or twice a year as a GT?
They had originally sold over 20 hadn't they?
There is supposedly the Hyundai somewhere too,

and with only 14/15 cars at the last few rounds there must be a few floating around.

Can't see them running as endurance cars or in super GT,
as from what I had heard they are not allowed to race anywhere else other than in supertourers as part of the purchase agreement.
Not sure if that also applies to the prototype as well.
Old 20 May 2014, 08:49 (Ref:3408135)   #54
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
The prototype is going to contest the North Island Endurance Series, though there were rumors V8 SuperTourer had objected to the car being run in another series, let alone racing.
Old 20 May 2014, 11:53 (Ref:3408215)   #55
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
the prototype isn't eligible to race as a ST.
Old 20 May 2014, 12:39 (Ref:3408241)   #56
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
the prototype isn't eligible to race as a ST.

Correct Promax, there is virtually no components the same as the production V8ST cars even the chassis use a modified VE road car floorpan the list goes on and on. It also was sold with all the VE Australian Supercar panels including the front bar [splitter] and rear wing etc.
Old 21 May 2014, 01:23 (Ref:3408455)   #57
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Correct Promax, there is virtually no components the same as the production V8ST cars even the chassis use a modified VE road car floorpan the list goes on and on. It also was sold with all the VE Australian Supercar panels including the front bar [splitter] and rear wing etc.
Is that the one that Tony Anderson now races? Did it get re-shelled as I thought it was a FG Falcon?
Old 21 May 2014, 01:27 (Ref:3408456)   #58
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Prototype was a Commode shell.
Old 21 May 2014, 01:39 (Ref:3408458)   #59
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
LMAO!!!!!!!! who could forget that car! lol

one minute it was a NZV8 CoTF (i'll add "allegedly" so I don't get sued LOL)
next it was a ST CoTF
then it was stripped of it's V8SC kit
all while there was a big stink about who owned it and what it actually was
Old 21 May 2014, 02:43 (Ref:3408469)   #60
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
LMAO!!!!!!!! who could forget that car! lol

one minute it was a NZV8 CoTF (i'll add "allegedly" so I don't get sued LOL)
next it was a ST CoTF
then it was stripped of it's V8SC kit
all while there was a big stink about who owned it and what it actually was
When it was built it was never anything but the ST prototype - the ST concept was already a CoTF. Took them a while to get their own aero for the production model though.
Old 21 May 2014, 03:06 (Ref:3408473)   #61
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
so what happened to the 1st NZV8 CoTF? the one that was built and meant to displayed at selected NZV8 rounds?
Old 21 May 2014, 04:27 (Ref:3408477)   #62
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
so what happened to the 1st NZV8 CoTF? the one that was built and meant to displayed at selected NZV8 rounds?
Isn't that the current Ford that is in fact run by Shaun Varney?
Old 21 May 2014, 04:37 (Ref:3408479)   #63
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
nah.. the one before the split

was it completed? was it chucked away? was a rebuilt as a kia? what?
Old 21 May 2014, 07:27 (Ref:3408503)   #64
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
nah.. the one before the split

was it completed? was it chucked away? was a rebuilt as a kia? what?
I don't think there was a physical car before "the split"...

I know that MRX had their TLX 'mule' for sale on Trademe a while back but don't know if it sold or what, or even if thats the car you are thinking of
Old 21 May 2014, 07:40 (Ref:3408507)   #65
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSeat Driver View Post
Is that the one that Tony Anderson now races? Did it get re-shelled as I thought it was a FG Falcon?
No, that is a work of art from jacko, runs supertourer gear and is a real nice car, is a old nzv8. He has alot of fun doing it.
Old 21 May 2014, 07:47 (Ref:3408511)   #66
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
They had originally sold over 20 hadn't they?
There is supposedly the Hyundai somewhere too,

and with only 14/15 cars at the last few rounds there must be a few floating around.

Can't see them running as endurance cars or in super GT,
as from what I had heard they are not allowed to race anywhere else other than in supertourers as part of the purchase agreement.
You are correct. its a shame as this was not the intention when the series started, now its sold to a independent person its all about return on investment.
Old 21 May 2014, 08:40 (Ref:3408537)   #67
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
I don't think there was a physical car before "the split"...
are you sure there wasn't one being built back in 2010?
Old 21 May 2014, 09:17 (Ref:3408550)   #68
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
No, that is a work of art from jacko, runs supertourer gear and is a real nice car, is a old nzv8. He has alot of fun doing it.
I think that would be the X Jmac NZV8- Corkery - Jacko car. Jacko just finished it off. ST front end and Three bar rear I think?
Old 22 May 2014, 09:43 (Ref:3408934)   #69
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
You are correct. its a shame as this was not the intention when the series started, now its sold to a independent person its all about return on investment.
wasn't the intention/attention to bring NZ bogan public to their knees and claim "this is the future" ? based on a V8 platform that was already losing favour with the paying public ??
Old 22 May 2014, 17:01 (Ref:3409041)   #70
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
wasn't the intention/attention to bring NZ bogan public to their knees and claim "this is the future" ? based on a V8 platform that was already losing favour with the paying public ??
If one looks around the world, in the 1990's touring car racing boomed and in many countries was the primary category. Manufacturers liked it as they could link it to their road cars. Costs got out of control and began to match sportscar racing for costs. Since the late 1990's, wealthy patrons, manufacturers and sponsors have shifted their focus to sportscar and GT championships and Australia/NZ is one of the last bastions of 4 door touring car racing as their primary championship.

I don't know how long that is going to fly for. Even in NZ it seems to me endurance racing seems to be growing, while the V8 touring car championships are shrinking in size.

It's not an uncommon thing in business. You develop what you think is a good product(Supertourers) and the world changes around you.

In terms of NZV8's and V8 ST, I really don't know what they are fighting over. I don't think the philosophies and basics of the different series are enough to keep them apart, so I think it's more about ego and control. With CART and the indy racing league for instance in the USA, that was a battle worth fighting as there were 2 very different philosophies about open wheel racing, but here there isn't that much of a difference in the tracks or events, so they need to work it out.
Old 22 May 2014, 21:00 (Ref:3409127)   #71
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
If one looks around the world, in the 1990's touring car racing boomed and in many countries was the primary category. Manufacturers liked it as they could link it to their road cars. Costs got out of control and began to match sportscar racing for costs. Since the late 1990's, wealthy patrons, manufacturers and sponsors have shifted their focus to sportscar and GT championships and Australia/NZ is one of the last bastions of 4 door touring car racing as their primary championship.

I don't know how long that is going to fly for. Even in NZ it seems to me endurance racing seems to be growing, while the V8 touring car championships are shrinking in size.

It's not an uncommon thing in business. You develop what you think is a good product(Supertourers) and the world changes around you.

In terms of NZV8's and V8 ST, I really don't know what they are fighting over. I don't think the philosophies and basics of the different series are enough to keep them apart, so I think it's more about ego and control. With CART and the indy racing league for instance in the USA, that was a battle worth fighting as there were 2 very different philosophies about open wheel racing, but here there isn't that much of a difference in the tracks or events, so they need to work it out.
They could always put Porsche Panamera, Maserati Quattroporte and Aston Martin Rapide bodies onto the ST chassis

I can't say I like the current Indy Car shape, doesn't really look like a proper open-wheel race car to me. Looks more like a vacuum cleaner...

Are they faster or slower than the old cars?
Old 22 May 2014, 21:20 (Ref:3409134)   #72
Dav1s
Rookie

Dav1s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Without going too far off topic I would rather go watch a variety of Porsches, Ferraris, Corvettes and passionate motorsport enthusiasts in what is basically "home built" race cars battle it out. You get to see some exotic machinery and something a little different. Not to mention the GTR IMS are currently building!

Now imagine the Endurance grid with support classes such as Muscle Cars, GT1 incl trans-ams etc.

Now that would be worth a day out!

The V8 kitset ship supported by old Falcon/Commodore utes has sailed I think.

Just my 2 cents
Old 22 May 2014, 21:27 (Ref:3409137)   #73
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

In terms of NZV8's and V8 ST, I really don't know what they are fighting over. I don't think the philosophies and basics of the different series are enough to keep them apart, so I think it's more about ego and control.
We have said it before and will say it again. Motorsport without a recognisable variety of vehicles is like a diet of 100% Tofu.

BTCC was a huge success not just because the racing was so good, but seeing the various makes (not bodyshells) made for great racing.

A force fed diet of one/two make series with tight rules and no room for innovation, plus tiny grids, has effectively killed off local motorsport. We now have Tofu racing. Bland.
Old 22 May 2014, 22:48 (Ref:3409164)   #74
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Don't worry we have TITP to look forward to in another 5-6 months.
Old 23 May 2014, 01:44 (Ref:3409206)   #75
JamesK
Racer

JamesK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
...Tofu racing.....
Just love this...