Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Aug 2004, 11:29 (Ref:1062972)   #1
ADnet
Racer

ADnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reid Handed One Race ban And Fine

From btcc.net:
Quote:
On viewing evidence, BTCC officials later fined Reid and handed him a suspended one race ban for a separate incident with Chilton that caused the Honda driver to collide with Turkington, who also then retired from the race with accident damage.
Thats a bit of a blow for the title race me thinks.... Didnt appear to be that much of a bad move IMO
"Look at that.... You couldn't kill that vauxhall with a stick - Not a stright Panel left on it!" "Just dragging the remains of the vauxhall down the pit lane - He's turned it into a paperweight" "Can i have a new vauxhall please this ones had it!" <SN 1999>
Old 11 Aug 2004, 11:35 (Ref:1062976)   #2
ADnet
Racer

Come to think of it, at least they didnt drop him down the order, or exclude him from the results
"Look at that.... You couldn't kill that vauxhall with a stick - Not a stright Panel left on it!" "Just dragging the remains of the vauxhall down the pit lane - He's turned it into a paperweight" "Can i have a new vauxhall please this ones had it!" <SN 1999>
Old 11 Aug 2004, 12:03 (Ref:1063000)   #3
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its a suspended one race ban so if my understanding is correct its like a yellow card hes got to be careful not to do anything else or he'll have to miss a race.

would it be a race or a whole event that'd he'd miss?
Old 11 Aug 2004, 12:26 (Ref:1063014)   #4
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Reid Handed One Race ban And Fine

ADNet: the title you've put on this thread is mis-leading - it is a one race ban suspended, ie. if he's naughty again he'll get a one race ban. He hasn't been banned yet.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 12:48 (Ref:1063025)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly.

We used to see this used a lot in F1.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 13:24 (Ref:1063055)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Being punished by officials for taking your team-mate out? Are TOCA following the FIA's lead in banning racing? Ludicrous, even if it is only a suspended ban.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 14:51 (Ref:1063092)   #7
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vauxhall have a bad weekend. I know, lets give Reid a suspended one race ban... dominate like that again mister and your banned.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 14:55 (Ref:1063096)   #8
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Being punished by officials for taking your team-mate out? Are TOCA following the FIA's lead in banning racing? Ludicrous, even if it is only a suspended ban.
Chilton isn't Reid's team-mate - Turkington is. It was Chilton who Reid hit.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 15:09 (Ref:1063098)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's Turkington who went out because of the incident though - Chilton only lost a small amount of time; the effect on him was comaprable to Muller and Plato's duelling.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 15:46 (Ref:1063123)   #10
Jonny Apex
Veteran

I know Turkington is Reid's team-mate. The way you worded it ... forget it.

Are TOCA following the FIA's lead in banning racing? No, judging by everything else that happened and the way it has set the rules, it encourages hard racing - it's what the BTCC thrives on. But there is surely a line that the officials don't want drivers stepping over.

Please don't take one isolated incident and then try and make it sound like the rest of it is the same.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 15:56 (Ref:1063134)   #11
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stupid decision. The officials don't seem to know their arse from their elbow this season.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 16:25 (Ref:1063155)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Are TOCA following the FIA's lead in banning racing? Ludicrous, even if it is only a suspended ban.
Maybe they are just trying to do something about the appalling driving standards in BTCC?

Bumping & barging isn't 'racing', it's just bad driving. Contact will occur in close racing; however, when it's intentional, things have gone too far.

Do you want a fatality before something is done to stop dangerous driving?
Old 11 Aug 2004, 16:53 (Ref:1063168)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That contact wasn't intentional.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 18:29 (Ref:1063212)   #14
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Reid repeated the move he made on Chilton several times in Race 3, it's just that in Race 3 he was racing with professionals that don't turn into him in a corner..
Old 11 Aug 2004, 18:35 (Ref:1063217)   #15
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am yet to see the incedent, but from what I have read it sounds a very hash pentley. I have one question have TOCA got something in for Reidy....
Old 11 Aug 2004, 18:48 (Ref:1063224)   #16
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is bang out of order.

If the officials want to get on some high grround about a bit of contact, which that incident was, why do they not ban Chilton for his push on Thommo in Race 2. Ban muller and Plato for rubbing bumpers with each other, ban Huff for making contact, ban Turkington for driving a WSR car.... Where does it stop?

Reid has unjustly become the Vinnie Jones of BTCC, every time there's an incident he gets the blame.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 19:21 (Ref:1063244)   #17
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes cmon reidie !!!!!!!! thats my man a nice guy i dont care how many people say otherwise i meet him and the whole MG drivers at rockingham last year very nice people, willing to talk to anyone for photos & signatures. ..... although i only watched race 1 at knockhill, as i was busy for the rest of the day :<.

Last edited by Mike_Wooshy; 11 Aug 2004 at 19:23.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 19:57 (Ref:1063278)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Considering everything that was going on, not least most of the field having their LEFT wheels inside the kerb at the chicane, I think this is a harsh decision on what was IMO a racing incident.

Chilton took a wideish line apparently to get a run on the exit and left the door wide open. Reid dived for the gap, and Chilton had to tighten his line because Turkington closed the gap a little. It was one of the few manouevres that I thought didn't have any intention of contact. Ah, well.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 21:04 (Ref:1063344)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
I totally agree that it was unfair. There was lots of aggressive racign throughout the weekend, but this wasn't really Reid's fault. He wasn't trying t punt Chilton off, he just misjudged the amount of space, which was made worse by Chilton turning in to avoid Turkington. Tom was partly at fault in reality.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 22:06 (Ref:1063397)   #20
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Reid's made the championship come alive, full credit for that...but I was expecting a punishment for that move as it was never on I feel.

The fact they gave him a suspended race ban and not an endorsement is the best thing though, or he'd be out of there. It doesn't say how long the ban is suspended for though? (Could just be one race? hardly anything to worry about)

Well, Brands is my local anyway - so I'll be there for the next. Will see how cauitously (hah!) he drives...

Brands so much suits the MG's though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Reid leave with the title lead without going near a Vauxhall.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 23:00 (Ref:1063425)   #21
ADnet
Racer

sorry for missleading with the title
anyways, as far as i know its a one race suspended ban which only rules him out for one race and not the whole weekend if he has another clash thay want to blame him for
Old 12 Aug 2004, 06:40 (Ref:1063610)   #22
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am biased in that I am an MG fan but I would also agree Reid has deserved most of the points he has got on his license however in this case it was a bad move rather than a reckless move and have seen far worse moves that are allowed to go unnoticed. I for one can think of anotehr driver who should have as many points but that is not the point of this thread so no names. I was also, for example, gutted to see Colins brilliant drive to second and a MG 1-2 lost because it was deamed he overtook under yellows and he was therefor, quiet rightly, penilised. As far as I know he got no other penelty so I would say that was correct because like the Reid move it was not intentional.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 13:20 (Ref:1065012)   #23
flyingbricks
Rookie

flyingbricks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a honda fan but i am not biased and i feel reid desreves everything he gets from toca. He has proved time and time again he is a dangerous driver and doesnt care about anything really. Fair enough to the guy he is doing a good job with his MG and am glad he is bringing it right to the vauxhalls. Ever since 1998 when Reid nearly cocked up rydells title race i have had a problem with his racing and its quite good that the officials are realising what he is like.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 17:36 (Ref:1065248)   #24
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Reid's a hooligan, always has been. The fact he's well known as an overly aggressive driver is probably a big factor in why TOCA have handed out this penalty - show everyone that there is a limit to the contact allowed, give the naughty bot of the class a hiding and hope the rest fall into line.

In a wider sense, what concerns me is that I tend to tune in to TOCA these days for much the same reason as I used to go and watch banger racing...
Old 13 Aug 2004, 17:50 (Ref:1065261)   #25
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If he does get banned it will help Plato for the his chances of 3rd in the title chase I belive.