Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 9 Jan 2007, 06:38 (Ref:1810149)   #1
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Variable Geometry Turbochargers no ACO/IMSA legal for all cars.

I just went to Mulsanne Mike's site, and I learned that AER is trying to develop engine technology that would allow them to utilize Garrett or Borg Warner VTG turbos like those used on the R10 and almost all production diesel engines, and some high preformance gasoline engines. It's now legal for all turbo cars to use VTG turbos in the ALMS/LMS if they wish to do so. What are the main stubling blocks that need to be overcome for this to be practical? Just thought I'd chime in on something that's probably new to most of us.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 06:46 (Ref:1810154)   #2
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heat.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 07:08 (Ref:1810162)   #3
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Basically all diesel have this, only the 911 Turbo has it for a gasser.

I think higher exhaust temperatures in gasoline powered vehicels is the reason.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 10:47 (Ref:1810279)   #4
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
its not VTG!........its VGT = Variable Geometry Turbine.......I dont blame any turbo engine tuner for wanting one - it will not give you more power , but better low down response and lack of compressor lag.

the reason they were developed in the first place was for better low down engine response and to rid the engines of turbo lag - which was getting diesels a bad name........it gives the engine the effect of a quick reacting small turbo at low rpm, combined with the big boost figures you get from a big turbo.......but all in 1 turbo!

to my knowledge there are two ways of doing VGT, but both achieve the same net result, from memory Holset have the best method and have patented it, Garrets method is a bit messy but works OK.......obviously works "OK" on the R10!

I recently drove a low spec hire car fiat grande-punto turbo diesel in italy, NOT fitted with a VGT turbo - and I lost count of the number of times I tried to pull away only to hit a bundle of turbo lag, and nearly get rammed by the car behind, or T-boned by a bus........once you have experienced a VGT turbo - its a must.