Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Sep 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2546580)   #1
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Round 14 - Singapore Grand Prix @ Marina Bay

No doubt you’ll hear the phrase “well, if you hadn’t noticed, there is actually a race on this weekend” many times, as once again the Formula 1 circus rolls into its latest destination under a cloud. But let’s not dwell on “Crashgate”. We could be in for a very interesting weekend on track.

Singapore’s Marina Bay circuit last year hosted a thriller, albeit partly down to the safety car periods, and the race had many typical street circuit features - long trains of cars, sparks from the bumps, and plenty of drivers losing concentration and smacking one of the unforgiving concrete walls. Kimi Raikkonen was one, taking too much kerb at the tricky turn 10 chicane, whilst team mate Felipe Massa, already running down the order, had already nearly binned his red car at turn 18, the left-hander just before the tunnel under the grandstand.

The circuit itself is also classic street circuit territory, being like a modern Adelaide - a modern pits complex and artificial first and last corners, but plenty of 90 degree bends, concrete walls and bumps. With the addition of the race being held under the lights, it proved an instant hit, unlike the other new street circuit on the calendar in 2008.

I say this year could be very interesting, reason being that rain is currently forecast for the days and nights of the grand prix weekend. Night racing in the rain could potentially be very hazardous, so we could end up with a thriller...or no race at all, of course. A more detailed forecast is provided down the bottom by Autosport Live with regular updates through the week - they are currently saying it’s likely to be dry. We can only hope that it is for the sake of having a race.

As for the pecking order, with a stop-start circuit, expect Brawn and McLaren to be the main contenders, with Ferrari once again as...dark horses! This weekend should see the end of Red Bull’s title challenge, as they will be expected to struggle as they did in Valencia and Monza. Force India may find it tough to repeat their fast circuit form due to the slow nature of the layout and the fact that Tonio Liuzzi has never driven the circuit. Toyota will struggle too. If you want an outside bet, how about Rosberg in the Williams? He finished 2nd last year and the Williams is much better in the slow stuff

Graphics by Andy Blackmore Design

Formula 1 World Drivers Championship Standings

Pos.FlagDriver ConstructorPoints
1.Jenson ButtonBrawn-Mercedes80
2.Rubens BarrichelloBrawn-Mercedes66
3.Sebastian VettelRBR-Renault54
4.Mark WebberRBR-Renault51.5
5.Kimi RäikkönenFerrari40
6.Nico RosbergWilliams-Toyota30.5
7.Lewis HamiltonMcLaren-Mercedes27
8.Jarno TrulliToyota22.5
9.Felipe MassaFerrari22
10.Heikki KovalainenMcLaren-Mercedes20
11.Fernando AlonsoRenault16
12.Timo GlockToyota16
13.Nick HeidfeldSauber-BMW12
14.Giancarlo FisichellaForce India-Mercedes/Ferrari8
15.Robert KubicaSauber-BMW8
16.Adrian SutilForce India-Mercedes5
17.Sebastien BuemiToro Rosso-Ferrari3
18.Sebastian BourdaisToro Rosso-Ferrari2
19.Kazuki NakajimaWilliams-Toyota0
20.Nelson Piquet JrRenault0
21.Luca BadoerFerrari0
22.Romain GrosjeanRenault0
23.Jaime AlguersuariToro Rosso-Ferrari0
NC.Vitantonio LiuzziForce India-Mercedes-

Formula 1 World Constructors Championship Standings

Pos.FlagConstructorCarPoints
1.Brawn-Mercedes146
2.Red Bull-Renault205.5
3.Ferrari62
4.McLaren-Mercedes47
5.Toyota38.5
6.Williams-Toyota30.5
7.Sauber-BMW20
8.Renault20
9.Force India-Mercedes13
10.Toro Rosso-Ferrari5

Marina Bay Street Circuit

LengthDirectionTurnsLaps (Distance)Lap Record (Driver, Year)
5.067kmAnti-Clockwise23309.087km1:45.599 (Kimi Raikkonen, 2008)

Roll of honour

YearDriverCarLocation
2008Fernando AlonsoRenaultMarina Bay

Links
Local Clock
Weather Forecast
Predictions Competition
Fantasy F1
IRC Chat
Old 23 Sep 2009, 12:12 (Ref:2546590)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
This is a real acid test for Romain Grosjean after his predecessor helped the team to a memorable victory there last year.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2546614)   #3
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
What happened there last year then :P

Nice job jab!

(too many pts for RBR though )

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2546619)   #4
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lovely job jab.

I'm looking forward to Singapore. Last year for me was a very pleasant surprise and expect it to be as enjoyable to see this time.

BBC say weather likely to be wet for quali but dry for the race.

It will be interesting to see if Liuzzi impresses again.
P
Old 23 Sep 2009, 14:47 (Ref:2546671)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I'd be interested in any thoughts as to where Liuzzi 'should' have ended up, had he finished. (Please post them in the Monza thread if you know).

The child in me liked the gleaming cars and sparks last year in Singapore.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 16:17 (Ref:2546729)   #6
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
The child in me liked the gleaming cars and sparks last year in Singapore.
Oh, man, I'd completely forgotten about that! You're right -- those cars certainly do look beautiful under the lights. Something to look forward to.

Thanks for the reminder!

Tom
Old 23 Sep 2009, 18:03 (Ref:2546820)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
maybe this belongs in the replacement thread, but any word on who will be stepping up from within Renault to act as team principle for this race.
are there any rules saying that this is a position that needs to be filled by someone during a race weekend?
Old 23 Sep 2009, 18:09 (Ref:2546825)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
never mind, just saw this on pitpass.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=39079

Bob Bell will take on the position and duties for the remainder of the year.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 19:09 (Ref:2546868)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice work Jab.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 19:12 (Ref:2546873)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Great work Jab, thank you for that!
Old 23 Sep 2009, 21:18 (Ref:2546972)   #11
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusonpole View Post
BBC say weather likely to be wet for quali but dry for the race.
How much more difficult will a floodlit track be if it's wet? Surely all that artificial light on a wet track would make it pretty hard work...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 23 Sep 2009, 21:43 (Ref:2547000)   #12
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
One of my favourite tracks, I'll be in Dover for the NASCAR race, but I'll be sure to watch this race ASAP when I get home!

By the way, Super Hans, I LOVE your new avatar, hahahaha.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 00:46 (Ref:2547065)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I am looking forward to this race, I predict Kimi will smoke the field..
Old 24 Sep 2009, 06:20 (Ref:2547129)   #14
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
By the way, Super Hans, I LOVE your new avatar, hahahaha.
Many thanks!
Old 24 Sep 2009, 09:25 (Ref:2547222)   #15
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh that's hilarious!! Took me a moment to figure

And thank you, jab. Great post.

I'm looking forward to this one. I'm just a bit ticked off that the drivers cried about the bumps so much to the point where they've flattened the track. It was a real joy watching the cars bounce as they kicked up sparks - was a true nostalgia trip.

Selby
Old 24 Sep 2009, 16:40 (Ref:2547419)   #16
mllevy
Rookie

mllevy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
grosjean not feeling well, di grassi may drive
Old 24 Sep 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2547431)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mllevy View Post
grosjean not feeling well, di grassi may drive
Full story:

http://www.f1press.com/full_story/vi...oping_to_race/
Old 24 Sep 2009, 17:56 (Ref:2547457)   #18
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
In other news, the weather still looks appauling...!

Selby
Old 24 Sep 2009, 18:01 (Ref:2547462)   #19
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's expected to be dry for all the sessions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosport Live
The forecast for the weekend promises little or no threat of rain during the time that the Formula 1 cars are on track. There is of course a low chance of showers or storms late in the morning, stretching to early afternoon, but any rain should have cleared away by the start of proceedings each day.
http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/147
Old 24 Sep 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2547468)   #20
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Ahh I was going by the forecast on the left They should change that!

Selby
Old 24 Sep 2009, 18:54 (Ref:2547497)   #21
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[ME_BEING_ANAL]This could be considered the 9th Singapore Grand Prix on the roll of honour. The race was run on the Thomson circuit from '66 to '73. I don't know what set of technical regulations all of them were run with, but the first was Formula Junior and the last was Australian Formula 2 (in essence, FJ). No idea about the ones in the middle, but the winners are on Wikipedia.[/ME_BEING_ANAL]

With regards to weather : timeanddate.com says that Friday has a 37% chance of rain at 6pm, and 32% at the same time on Saturday (it's 6 hour intervals). No word on 6pm Sunday.

If Saturday were to be cancelled, what would happen about allocating grid slots? IIRC the rules don't say what to do if there is no quali, they would either have to cancel supports on Sunday or not have a session - lottery, points, practice times or something else?
Old 24 Sep 2009, 19:25 (Ref:2547522)   #22
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
If Saturday were to be cancelled, what would happen about allocating grid slots? IIRC the rules don't say what to do if there is no quali, they would either have to cancel supports on Sunday or not have a session - lottery, points, practice times or something else?
I think they'd go on practice. If not, on championship standings. One of those 2, anyway

And I know about the previous winners of the SGP. Just testing
Old 24 Sep 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2547553)   #23
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IIRC the BTCC have legislated for it and would use car numbers out of a hat, but that's BTCC. F1 hasn't legislated for it, I think car numbers out of a hat would be best as FP times are unrepresentative and doing it on championship is a bit of a cop-out really.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 19:55 (Ref:2547556)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
and doing it on championship is a bit of a cop-out really.
Think about it though! The first two rows would be quite interesting to say the least!
Old 24 Sep 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2547559)   #25
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
IIRC the BTCC have legislated for it and would use car numbers out of a hat, but that's BTCC. F1 hasn't legislated for it, I think car numbers out of a hat would be best as FP times are unrepresentative and doing it on championship is a bit of a cop-out really.
The teams would complain like hell. It would have to be grounded on something. The American series go for championship order if quali is rained off

Last time F1 quali was rained off was Japan 2004, I think. They ran quali on the Sunday morning