Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 May 2015, 05:36 (Ref:3536945)   #5726
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Is there any official figure quoted by Porsche in respect of the power of the MGU connected to the front drive train on the 2015-spec 919 ?
Old 13 May 2015, 05:50 (Ref:3536948)   #5727
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Is there any official figure quoted by Porsche in respect of the power of the MGU connected to the front drive train on the 2015-spec 919 ?
400+ bhp i believe.
Old 13 May 2015, 06:21 (Ref:3536958)   #5728
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokata View Post
400+ bhp i believe.
Correct, but with one very subtle difference. They now write <400bhp.
Old 13 May 2015, 07:08 (Ref:3536969)   #5729
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No, they write: > 400 hp
http://www.porsche.com/international...turesandspecs/

That may be the reason for more front tyres degradation compared to Toyota and Audi. Audi officially uses 272 hp on the front and Toyota distributes 480 HP on both axels.
Old 13 May 2015, 07:25 (Ref:3536971)   #5730
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Correct. My apologies. I messed up the sign.

I have no doubt that it is what is causing the front tire issues. I'm confident they will solve it (or at least manage it) but I'm not sure it will get sorted out in time for Le Mans.
Old 13 May 2015, 07:39 (Ref:3536973)   #5731
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Clearly its a lot more then 400bhp, seeing as they easily outrun Toyota in acceleration, and Toyota claims 480 (that to be honest is likely to be a bit shy of the real number anyway).

It would be interesting to see a compleat lap at LeMans this year onboard the Porsche with telemetry, where we can count the exact number of seconds they use their hybrid motors over a compleat lap, then its easy to calculate how much power they are putting out.
However, we cant really know for sure the electric motors are running at the same power all the time, they could easily put out more power at the first 1-2 seconds they are deployed, and then gradually decrease the power until they stop compleatly. So it would only be an average output of the hybrid.
Old 13 May 2015, 07:51 (Ref:3536977)   #5732
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
The problem with Toyota is that they MUST boost out of every corner, Porsche can wait for a corner with longest straight and release more energy out of that corner and ofcourse even if both uses all the boost out of every corner Porsche has 33% more energy to boost.

Who will outrun who out of the corner?
- 1 MJ with 480 HP
- 2 MJ with 400 HP
Old 13 May 2015, 07:53 (Ref:3536978)   #5733
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Yes, and I think that the management of how the power is released and laid down , will be played with until they come up with the best possible solution for their tire-wear issues.
Old 13 May 2015, 08:00 (Ref:3536979)   #5734
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
The fact Earl Bamber walked out of a Porsche cup car and straight into a P1 kind of flies in the face of what Michael says.

But I'd love to see him in a 919 in the future and I know you would too Mathias.
Very true!
And comparing the two's career, Bamber has less experience that Michael, even though they started at the same time.
Either Bamber is a bigger talent, or something/someone else gave Bamber the upper hand (Webber?)

You are 100% right there Richard! In my mind Christensen and K.Magnussen are the guys who is going to lift Tom Kristensen heritage
Old 13 May 2015, 08:13 (Ref:3536980)   #5735
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
The problem with Toyota is that they MUST boost out of every corner, Porsche can wait for a corner with longest straight and release more energy out of that corner
Whats the reason for Toyota must boost out of every corner, while Porsche doesnt? Just the fact that Porsche has 2MJ more, or am I missing something here?
Old 13 May 2015, 08:36 (Ref:3536984)   #5736
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
Battery vs. supercapacitor

Battery must be "oversized" so it can deal with higher power, note that size/weight is not necessarily bigger than supercap. It was mentioned last year by someone that Porsche can hold all of it's 6 MJ capacity on board, don't know how is this year. Toyota supercap can only hold a fraction of total 6 MJ If I would have to guess only around 1 to 1.5 MJ.
Old 13 May 2015, 09:28 (Ref:3537000)   #5737
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
That makes sence! This would be the reason why Toyota is rumoured to be looking at switching from supercap to battery next year, I would presume?

On the other hand, Le Mans would be the kind of stop-and-go track that would least favour the batterys in this scenario, since after each big braking there would be a long straight where you would want to boost anyway.
Old 13 May 2015, 11:03 (Ref:3537038)   #5738
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Very true!
And comparing the two's career, Bamber has less experience that Michael, even though they started at the same time.
Either Bamber is a bigger talent, or something/someone else gave Bamber the upper hand (Webber?)
It could be the case that Bamber is more familiar with influential people in the Porsche program than Christensen is, but given the almost meteoric speed at which Earl has risen through the ranks I think it'd be fairer to day that he is seen as the bigger talent.

But that's not a slight on Michael, I reckon he will be in a 919 sooner rather than later.

Quote:

Battery must be "oversized" so it can deal with higher power, note that size/weight is not necessarily bigger than supercap. It was mentioned last year by someone that Porsche can hold all of it's 6 MJ capacity on board, don't know how is this year. Toyota supercap can only hold a fraction of total 6 MJ If I would have to guess only around 1 to 1.5 MJ.
An issue of RCE this year had a feature on Toyota which mentioned the size of the supercap. I can't remember the figure now though (I chuck them as soon as I've read them as well) but 1MJ sounds familiar.
Old 13 May 2015, 11:26 (Ref:3537043)   #5739
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Bamber was very impressive (as usual) at Spa.
He had the fastest average lap time in car #19. I know it is not as straight forward as it seems due to the tire strategy, but for a rookie, he was simply magnificent!
Old 13 May 2015, 11:36 (Ref:3537050)   #5740
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have to agree I think there was a shoot-out and Bamber won. He had to be doubly impressive as I think he'd had less testing time in the 919 before being given the nod.

I guess he'll be battling it out with Hulkenberg for that fastest rookie plaque at Le Mans.
Old 13 May 2015, 13:10 (Ref:3537074)   #5741
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Bamber was very impressive (as usual) at Spa.
He had the fastest average lap time in car #19. I know it is not as straight forward as it seems due to the tire strategy, but for a rookie, he was simply magnificent!
agree, the one who disappointed was Tandy! not so fast and a traffic rush mistake that simply can't be done in the first hour of race!
Infact Makowiecki will be in the 919 during the le mans test. If he will mark faster laptimes than Tandy during the test, surely Makowiecki will take his seat in the #19 for 24H le mans
Old 13 May 2015, 13:17 (Ref:3537077)   #5742
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
Infact Makowiecki will be in the 919 during the le mans test. If he will mark faster laptimes than Tandy during the test, surely Makowiecki will take his seat in the #19 for 24H le mans
Is that confirmed? Sounds good.
Old 13 May 2015, 13:25 (Ref:3537079)   #5743
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokata View Post
400+ bhp i believe.
Quote:
No, they write: > 400 hp
http://www.porsche.com/international...turesandspecs/

That may be the reason for more front tyres degradation compared to Toyota and Audi. Audi officially uses 272 hp on the front and Toyota distributes 480 HP on both axels.
Thanks guys.
Old 13 May 2015, 14:01 (Ref:3537092)   #5744
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
agree, the one who disappointed was Tandy! not so fast and a traffic rush mistake that simply can't be done in the first hour of race!
Not disagreeing with you but in fairness, Tandy did set the fastest lap for #19 and the average of his Top 10 times are identical to Hulkenburg's. I agree fully on the mistake. It was unnecessary and costly.
I think that neither he nor Hulkenburg did a bad job; its just that Bamber is outstanding.
Old 13 May 2015, 14:03 (Ref:3537094)   #5745
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Is that confirmed? Sounds good.
Unconfirmed speculation which won't happen.
Old 13 May 2015, 17:39 (Ref:3537167)   #5746
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

exactly. Oh and I'll just leave this here. Consider it a must read for all the battery nerds AND anyone who doesn't know the first thing about batteries .
https://medium.com/@steingart/the-un...n-ce1e44d0b961
Old 13 May 2015, 20:12 (Ref:3537220)   #5747
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The 2014 car had 0.9MJ capacity i believe. This year probably something around 1.2-1.3 MJ
Old 14 May 2015, 11:18 (Ref:3537366)   #5748
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I did some driver times analysis which I thought you guys might enjoy, however I cant get an excel table to post. Does anyone know how it is done?
Old 14 May 2015, 11:31 (Ref:3537370)   #5749
Chuliandred
Rookie

Chuliandred should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I did some driver times analysis which I thought you guys might enjoy, however I cant get an excel table to post. Does anyone know how it is done?
How about pasting it to google docs and sharing the link? You can set the table to "view only" their as well. I can't think about a forum which supports tables sufficiently.
Old 14 May 2015, 11:39 (Ref:3537372)   #5750
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Thanks! - I'll have to check that out later and see if it is viable.