Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 16 Nov 2004, 18:24 (Ref:1155224)   #1
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Censor dirt!

After a few days in Florida using the 10D and lens changing (aircraft this time and not cars!)I was stunned to find that all of a sudden pictures were coming out with so many black spots it looked it was snowing soot! The censor was covered in ****-despite using a big blower (without the brush) to clean the censor. I have no idea how it got there and as I said -despite cleaning loads of times. Its taking ages to get rid of it all on the pics I need to use and a real pain. To make matters worse I could see a small bit of *~"# on the censor and tried to remove be using a corner of tissue-wrong move as its now left a scratch as well!! Will wait for this weekends Britcar and then take it to be cleaned/sorted. Anybody else had this problem-maybe because of the heat/humid conditions???
Old 17 Nov 2004, 12:35 (Ref:1155875)   #2
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless cleaned with care you will nacker the censor or move it!

Last edited by Happy Snapper; 17 Nov 2004 at 12:36.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 22:03 (Ref:1157475)   #3
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i guess you mean sensor, rather than campaigning to outlaw dirt...

I didn't have too much problem with the 10D getting dust inside, and use seems to gently work it out again with only minor retouching required. I couldn't help with anythig more serious than that, i'm afraid.

If it's really bad it might be worth getting Canon to do it, and otherwise have a search on dpreview.com's forum to check for advice on what to clean it with.

Good luck Baz!
Old 19 Nov 2004, 01:18 (Ref:1157595)   #4
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never noticed heat/humidty making any difference with the amount of dirt that gets in. To me, the sensor attracts dirt like the screen on your tv attracts dust, differences in electrical charges.

In the below link we talked about sensor cleaning and such... (and this link too... http://tentenths.com/forum/sho...;postid=1003028)

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...&highlight=CCD

Dirt and digital SLRs are made for each other. I have no problem touching or using compressed air on the sensor in my Canon 1D, as I'm actually touching the CCDs sealed clear cover and not the sensor itself...

Martin

Last edited by Hugewally; 19 Nov 2004 at 01:21.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 01:24 (Ref:1157597)   #5
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Re: Censor dirt!

Quote:
Originally posted by Snapper Baz
To make matters worse I could see a small bit of *~"# on the censor and tried to remove be using a corner of tissue-wrong move as its now left a scratch as well!!
Was that indrustrial strength tissue you were using?

martin

Last edited by Hugewally; 19 Nov 2004 at 01:24.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 22:32 (Ref:1158752)   #6
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually Martin it was a "hard" and not ultrasoft tissue so I won't be using that again! It was very strange, I had taken a couple of shots with my wide/zoom and noticed nothing to worry about-maybe a couple of small spots. i guess I must have changed to a bigger lens and then back again and carried on shooting (on an airfield near Daytona Beach!)when I happened to look at the screen an hour or so later it was absulutely covered in black spots. No matter how I tried to blow it off (large rubber blower brush thing without the brush-which always works!)it made little difference to the Sensor (now spelt right!!). I'm having to take it in to get sorted after this weekend's meeting at Brands (night race)as Its beyond me to get cleaned now. Its never happened before and have no idea what has caused it..very strange!!
Old 20 Nov 2004, 07:06 (Ref:1158999)   #7
500mm
Rookie

500mm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Baz

welcome to the bane of the the digital photographer's life......aside from the traditional method of using sensor swabs and Eclipse fluid.......effective but expensive......there is another solution.

The excellent site www.luminous-landscape.com recommends an alternative.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ble-dust.shtml

I have recently bought the full kit and when I get re-united with my cameras in Bahrain next week I will give it a full try out.........I will post a review....if this ham fisted snapper can get on with this product then anyone can.

Last edited by 500mm; 20 Nov 2004 at 07:07.
Old 20 Nov 2004, 09:31 (Ref:1159051)   #8
jason carter
Rookie

jason carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bahrain, middle of the desert, dust and sand everywhere....cracking place to start cleaning your kit, John!
Old 20 Nov 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1159156)   #9
500mm
Rookie

500mm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jason

my expense budget for next week will extend to a hotel room...with or without LAT's dosh.....even if there has had to be a late change of venue due to the original hotel being dry.........so the **** that has accumulated in the cameras from Dubai and Zhuhai can be banished leaving the images to be as intended......even MN likes clean, clear images to start with.........

Last edited by 500mm; 20 Nov 2004 at 11:47.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 05:58 (Ref:1160468)   #10
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
Originally posted by jason carter
Bahrain, middle of the desert, dust and sand everywhere....
Just like shooting at Willow Spring in the California high desert, as the wind seems to never stop blowing up there...

Martin