Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13 Mar 2012, 08:53 (Ref:3040151)   #1676
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have not been following this thread. How many British fans have purchased themselves a subscription just to watch an extra of ten races live?
Old 13 Mar 2012, 10:36 (Ref:3040185)   #1677
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
I have not been following this thread. How many British fans have purchased themselves a subscription just to watch an extra of ten races live?
I don't think we will get those figures for a while. I doubt there are a lot of "new" Sky customers, probably more upgrades to HD and Sports subscriptions.

Sky's new subscriptions have slowed considerably in the last 12 months, their main focus now is to get more money out of each subscriber.

They are in this for the long haul, they are cash rich, are paying Brundle a rumoured £1.3 mil (Double his BBC fee) so heaven knows how much it's all costing and there will be no quick return. That doesn't matter though as the point is just to wait it out until the next contract is up and then take it all to pay to view.

It will be the teams' loss if and when that happens, as viewership will be slashed.
Old 13 Mar 2012, 14:25 (Ref:3040291)   #1678
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My box is being installed now. Finally I can get excited about the new season (even if I'm paying for what I got for free before).
Old 13 Mar 2012, 17:17 (Ref:3040399)   #1679
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
In this months F1Racing magazine, Brundle says that Sky are going to spend half a billion over the next few years It's that old adage, you get what you pay for. Those of us who are prepared to pay get fancy graphics, split screen, all the practices, quali and races, GP3, GP2 etc.

And those who aren't prepared to pay, get EJ's shirt every other race !
Lets try 'those who are unable' to pay for it rather than 'prepared'. I am prepared to pay for Sky but am unable to do so due to a lack of disposable income. I'll happily watch the BBC and Eddies shirt as it keeps me out of debt. For the other races (on at reasonable times) I can watch live on Sky Go thanks to someone else paying for it. I wasn't too impressed with their 2 hour season preview show which was shown on Pick TV and expected it to be a platform where Sky would show off abit.
Old 13 Mar 2012, 23:45 (Ref:3040660)   #1680
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just looked at the BBC schedule for Sunday and it says that from 2-4pm there will be Formula 1 'highlights'. I do feel bad for people watching it on that and like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
I am prepared to pay for Sky but am unable to do so due to a lack of disposable income.
I'm not being funny and I know it's not my place to delve into your financial situation which is private and personal, but can you not afford £30 a month? I know I have all sorts of things having to leave my account I don't enjoy which add up to far more (council tax, etc) and I wonder whether you'd notice the £30 as much as you suggest. As I say, I didn't like the enforced move to paying for F1, but I've cast aside principles for personal practicality; I'd rather see it properly than not see it.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 00:23 (Ref:3040680)   #1681
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
You chaps have quite a good deal really... I pay $131.00 per month to get Speed TV so that I can watch F1...

This is not for a dedicated F1 channel either...
Old 14 Mar 2012, 07:06 (Ref:3040765)   #1682
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I am prepared to pay for Sky but am unable to do so due to a lack of disposable income.
You could cancel your broadband for a start. Where there's a will.......
Old 14 Mar 2012, 07:58 (Ref:3040781)   #1683
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Not me and I will probably just watch the re-runs on BBC as I don't often get to see the races live. And even when I do I don't always bother, literally nothing will make me sit through Valencia/Abu Dhabi/Singapore/Sakhir ever again. Besides, I like Ben Edwards far more than the 5-Live bloke.

I do have access to Sky F1 though, I got a really good deal for my broadband through them by playing them off against Virgin Media and I do like their HD stuff, always have. But I am hoping that, without my critical viewership, the whole thing will collapse and return to terrestrial. Literally nobody needs extensive coverage of car unveilings and constant re-runs of old programs.

If half a billion of expenditure gets us a virtual car, Ted Kravitz, Fenners, episodes of Inside Grand Prix and everything else largely the same as before whilst people go crazy and lap it up then I'm out. I'd say most of that expenditure went straight to Bernie anyways, for the old season reviews!
Old 14 Mar 2012, 08:05 (Ref:3040784)   #1684
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Just looked at the BBC schedule for Sunday and it says that from 2-4pm there will be Formula 1 'highlights'. I do feel bad for people watching it on that and like that.

I'm not being funny and I know it's not my place to delve into your financial situation which is private and personal, but can you not afford £30 a month? I know I have all sorts of things having to leave my account I don't enjoy which add up to far more (council tax, etc) and I wonder whether you'd notice the £30 as much as you suggest. As I say, I didn't like the enforced move to paying for F1, but I've cast aside principles for personal practicality; I'd rather see it properly than not see it.
Put it this way, its very rare I don't go into my overdraft each month so adding 30 quid to it would be less than sensible. Is it really out of your grasp to understand that 30 quid is not a small amount of money for everyone? It might be a minor inconvenience for someone like yourself, but its significant to me! I find it rather insulting when I am told I could afford it if I really wanted it and that I should alter the way I live to accommodate a previously free service. I'm sure you've all got it good and this deal is great if you earn enough but I'm as big a fan as any of you and I'm annoyed I'm being forced into watching a dumbed down version of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
You could cancel your broadband for a start. Where there's a will.......
I could also get Welsh water to turn off my supply to as that would save 25 quid every month but like your suggestion that would be stupid. If I had my broadband cut off I wouldn't earn any money fullstop as it is a little more essential than a lot of other things.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 08:10 (Ref:3040787)   #1685
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Well believe it or not some people can struggle to afford non-essentials.

I know the past year and a half for me, whilst supporting me and my partner as she studied at uni, I lived on an absolute knife edge of funds. It was a case of paying for fancy services and never leave the house or use the money to do something with our days off. So £30 was certainly beyond me and it must surely be the same for others, you do realise times are pretty hard with hundreds of thousands scrapping over vacancies their numbers dwarf? Just being in work these days is a luxury.

So yeah, if people are pretty ****ed off about it then there is reason. It's a luxury many can't afford. And that's before we talk about people who can't get Sky even if they can afford it!

Another thing to add, for many people here it is now a choice of go to the British GP or pay to watch every other race and not go to it. A GP is a great experience, you have to go once, but pay through the nose for that AND for the TV experience. Again, gonna be some people who struggle.

But yeah henners, stop paying for food or something mate. F1 is that important.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 14 Mar 2012 at 08:19.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 08:46 (Ref:3040803)   #1686
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm with Henners and Knowlesy on this, I cannot justify the cost and I'm in work in a reasonable job. Money is tighter than I've known in a long time, everything is going up and I've seen our disposable income go down by a further £100 a month since Christmas. Things are still going up every month, I've just lost the £45 child tax credits we were getting, I'm still on a 10% pay cut (since 2008), I haven't had any kind of pay increase since 2009 and every month something keeps breaking in the house. To afford it I'd need to forego being able to do things with my wife and daughter or dip into savings. Not very sensible really. That's the reality in the real world I'm afraid.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 09:08 (Ref:3040809)   #1687
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Mine wasn't a serious suggestion btw. Just a pedantic jab at the difference between 'unable' and 'unwilling'. If you really really really really wanted it, you could afford it. But quite understandably, you don't.

I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it, but i did do some serious umm-ing and ahh-ing before going for it.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 09:27 (Ref:3040823)   #1688
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Put it this way, its very rare I don't go into my overdraft each month so adding 30 quid to it would be less than sensible. Is it really out of your grasp to understand that 30 quid is not a small amount of money for everyone?
It's not out of my grasp and I've had my minimum wage days, so I do understand. But you mentioned having a few beers with friends on Sunday. If you didn't buy the beers, you would be some way towards the F1 subscription. Anyway, it's not my place to tell you what to spend your money on. I sometimes find means and ways to save money where I might not have thought of it before, so it can be done. I think you are resentful of having to do it for Sky, which I more than understand.

My own resentment has been temporarily tempered by the excitement over the start of the new season. Clever people, those at Sky!

Knowlesy, take a look at my comments earlier in the thread if you wish. I am resentful of the situation and you'll see I've made a U-turn (or changed my mind) based on the fact BT was costing me the same but without the telly. I'll still have to pay off BT £100 (a fine) for the seven months remaining on my contract (roughly the length of the F1 season). I think there is a thin line between unable and unwilling in some cases and that is not a criticism in any way. Someone mentioned family and not being willing to pay for that in lieu of doing things with their family I can utterly understand. There is an element of compromise in life required now to get F1 and some aren't up for that, which I get.

Last edited by Born Racer; 14 Mar 2012 at 09:37. Reason: Wanted to add that final paragraph as a footnote.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 13:04 (Ref:3040911)   #1689
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Someone mentioned family and not being willing to pay for that in lieu of doing things with their family I can utterly understand. There is an element of compromise in life required now to get F1 and some aren't up for that, which I get.
This is exactly the point its a question of priorities. Bills like mortgage, utilities etc come first, then essentials like food and so it goes on. Paying for F1, despite being a fan of 30 years, is at the bottom of the list it terms of importance. Its a luxury in affect. Yes, I may have £30 spare a month, but do I pay that into my daughters child trust fund for her future or pay to watch what is in affect 10 races on Sky. No brainer to me really. I understand where you are coming from but I'm not sure the line between unwilling and unable to pay is that thin.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 13:46 (Ref:3040931)   #1690
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I'm not sure the line between unwilling and unable to pay is that thin.
Maybe what I meant by the unwilling/ unable line is better summed up as being to do with priorities.

Fortunately for me, I don't have children and I consciously go with £30 less food a month than F1, otherwise I suppose I would have to not let mine starve.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 14:31 (Ref:3040942)   #1691
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I already have Sky, but had never bothered with Sky Sports...but I've signed up to their F1 HD Deal for £10.50...Can't wait to see all the Practices Qually and Race on HD on my new Super large Flat Screen!...Sure beats spending hundreads of Pounds on being there!
Old 14 Mar 2012, 14:48 (Ref:3040949)   #1692
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
This thread is interesting in that many posts concern people's lack of funds, even though they appear to literate, and by association therefore not of the "underclass" - (trailer-trash to our US followers).

It goes to show the plight of hard-working decent folks in the present world economic crisis. I live in a very working-class town with a high ratio of benefit-claimants, yet they all have the ubiquitous dish attached to their homes.

These are very often the sort of people who watch the most appalling of TV rubbish, and I doubt if many of them will tune in to F1. How about we rent the telly off them for a nominal fee whenever there's a race on - they're probably still in bed at 2pm on Sundays, getting over their hangovers.

It's just such a waste of a good opportunity.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 16:01 (Ref:3040978)   #1693
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i watch a scary amount of rubbish on tv (freeview, i might add), work full time and i'm upper middle class with a private education. so stereotypes don't always float. beware the sweeping generalisations...
Old 14 Mar 2012, 17:12 (Ref:3041006)   #1694
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Maybe what I meant by the unwilling/ unable line is better summed up as being to do with priorities.

Fortunately for me, I don't have children and I consciously go with £30 less food a month than F1, otherwise I suppose I would have to not let mine starve.
Yeah, we didn't time it very well with the current economic climate either! Please don't take my posts as having a go at you, just a bit of frustration getting the better of me!
Old 14 Mar 2012, 17:14 (Ref:3041007)   #1695
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Not at all. Likewise Andy, I don't want anyone to take my comments too personally here, particularly when we are discussing financial matters, of which I know little or nothing of anyone's here; I am making more general points and hoping people apply the thought to their own situation.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 17:28 (Ref:3041011)   #1696
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This thread needs to stay focused on the issue of F1 going to Sky ..
Old 14 Mar 2012, 17:40 (Ref:3041017)   #1697
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
But you mentioned having a few beers with friends on Sunday. If you didn't buy the beers, you would be some way towards the F1 subscription.
I think after the week I've had I deserve to spend 3 or 4 quid on a few of Carlings' from my local supermarket to drink on Sunday. I think that goes back to the point that I made earlier where I said I shouldn't be expected to alter my standard of living considerably to accomodate a sport I've never had to pay to view up until this point. I don't drink heavily and I don't go out on the lash every single month. I don't eat takeaways very often due to cost and I don't smoke. I had some bad news regarding my mortgage earlier this year and money is tight. My car broke down the other week and I suddenly had a 200 quid bill I wasn't expecting. My boiler broke down a couple of months back and its instances like this that really make me feel the pinch. There maybe months where I do have 30 quid to spare which would pay for a subscription but what about the months where I can't? Sky ask you to enter into a contract and if I loose my job again or my wife has time off work, it becomes a big problem. Not everyone earns over £18,000 a year and has had a yearly payrise since 2007. F1 is about the only interest I focus my time on and I would love to be able to follow it like the rest of you, but its no longer possible in the same capacity.

As has been said above its a pretty sorry state of affairs where every council house seems to have a satelite dish attached to it yet I work hard, have a University education and am a qualified engineer yet the industry I am in is struggling and no longer pays the type of money to compete with our benefits system (not saying everyone who lives in a council house is on benefits btw). If a Sky subscription was affordable for all I think it would be fantastic for the fans in the UK as they are offering such widespread content. Unfortunately its out of a lot of fans reach so its split opinions across our nation. Myself and a few mates are getting together on Sunday and bringing a few beers to watch the re-run on the BBC. I hope the 2 hours doesn't race by as a GP can often feel too short IMO. What we don't know is how many laps will be included in their 2 hour show. I'm hoping the BBC will make use of their website to share most of the interviews post race leaving at least 80 or 90 minutes of race coverage. I won't hold my breath though.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 18:13 (Ref:3041035)   #1698
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I sympathise with your predicament, maybe you could hook up with some other F1 fans and orgernise F1 watch parties..

I am not being smug when I tell you I have to pay, and have always had to pay to watch my favorite sport.....
Old 14 Mar 2012, 18:21 (Ref:3041039)   #1699
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post

But I am hoping that, without my critical viewership, the whole thing will collapse and return to terrestrial.
Never gonna happen now. BBC will eventually let its contract go, Bernie will be used to the money that Sky can affird to pay and no terrestrial channel will ever be able to match that.

If Sky fails miserably and decides to give it up, i think that F1 will be lost to our screens.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 18:46 (Ref:3041057)   #1700
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I sympathise with your predicament, maybe you could hook up with some other F1 fans and orgernise F1 watch parties..
Thats something I have thought about as a group has been setup on Facebook where certain pubs in major cities are showing the races. There is one in Cardiff on the list and I may try it later in the season if others are up for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I am not being smug when I tell you I have to pay, and have always had to pay to watch my favorite sport.....
I suppose I can be thankfull I have never had to pay to watch F1 in my lifetime. Unlike yourself I doubt I would be an F1 fan now if it had have been the case. With F1 being a very British sport in terms of what our country brings to it, I think our broadcasters have felt obliged to offer it free up until now. Its such a niche sport it just wouldn't attract fans unless they had free access to it IMO. Theres still the mentality over here where people think F1 is just about cars going round in circles and is boring unfortunately. Its the one industry where we still excel and it should be alot more popular IMO.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky