Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jul 2011, 22:28 (Ref:2933058)   #301
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I was thinking more grassroots than BTCC, more of clubbie stuff.
Ah okay. I'm not sure if it will though, most motorsport outside F1 and maybe BTCC in the UK has never enjoyed much popularity. What its never had it won't miss.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2933060)   #302
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am not angry or outraged over this. Just terribly sad. It has honestly ruined my day, as sad as that sounds. And I'm someone who hasn't bothered to watch a race since... Actually I can't remember. China re-run?

F1 during my lifetime of watching (1990 onwards) has always been free to air, if you ignore the fairly nominal license fee. A part of the televisual furniture. So it really is the end of an era.

How can anyone say this is a good thing? I know it is trendy and cool to approve of everything wacky that Bernie agrees to but for me there is a limit.

I mean I know I said I don't watch anymore, but what if I saw or heard of things that might attract me back? I wouldn't be able to, simply. I simply can't afford even an SD Sky Sports subscription. Heck, I stretch my finances to pay a meagre sum for NASCAR coverage and at least that is clearly full value! And I sure as ****e am not going to attempt to raise extra funds.

A lot of existing Sky Sports subscribers seem delighted. Typical.

It's just tremendously depressing and sad and I wonder if there is any point following the sport in any way beyond this season.

The BBC team, it goes without saying, will be broken up. Perfection wasted after three meagre seasons.

The way the BBC let this slide is deplorable. They knew what they were getting into in 2008. Did they not even budget for the worst case scenario?

What has happened to F1. Dammit. It's such a bloody downer. I'm so sick and tired of watching my favourite series, over the years, do the wrong things and pay for it down the line. Despite this, I hope F1 suffers, and suffers bad, for this.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 22:34 (Ref:2933062)   #303
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I am not angry or outraged over this. Just terribly sad. It has honestly ruined my day, as sad as that sounds. And I'm someone who hasn't bothered to watch a race since... Actually I can't remember. China re-run?

F1 during my lifetime of watching (1990 onwards) has always been free to air, if you ignore the fairly nominal license fee. A part of the televisual furniture. So it really is the end of an era.

How can anyone say this is a good thing? I know it is trendy and cool to approve of everything wacky that Bernie agrees to but for me there is a limit.

I mean I know I said I don't watch anymore, but what if I saw or heard of things that might attract me back? I wouldn't be able to, simply. I simply can't afford even an SD Sky Sports subscription. Heck, I stretch my finances to pay a meagre sum for NASCAR coverage and at least that is clearly full value! And I sure as ****e am not going to attempt to raise extra funds.

A lot of existing Sky Sports subscribers seem delighted. Typical.

It's just tremendously depressing and sad and I wonder if there is any point following the sport in any way beyond this season.

The BBC team, it goes without saying, will be broken up. Perfection wasted after three meagre seasons.

The way the BBC let this slide is deplorable. They knew what they were getting into in 2008. Did they not even budget for the worst case scenario?

What has happened to F1. Dammit. It's such a bloody downer.
Hear, hear.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 22:36 (Ref:2933063)   #304
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
On the contrary, I think something like BTCC could come out of this sorry story very well. Seen a number of comments of people saying with F1 on Sky, they'll give their attention to BTCC which I'm sure will please Alan Gow no end.
Oh god have mercy.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 22:39 (Ref:2933065)   #305
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by shy tot racing View Post
The so-called casual fans are what gives the sponsers the reason to do the sponsering. With just whatever the types that you class yourself as to watch there would be no sponsers no money no F1--twerp
Are those real tears?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 22:41 (Ref:2933066)   #306
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Knowlesy, good post.
It is not want I want either. However it is still on FTA, albeit not always live, and we have more choice. So the world isn't such a bad place.
I think some of the comments directed at Bernie, the teams, sky or the beeb at best demonstrate a misunderstanding of the situation and at worst are just plain insulting and nasty.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 22:50 (Ref:2933070)   #307
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Knowlesy, good post.
It is not want I want either. However it is still on FTA, albeit not always live, and we have more choice. So the world isn't such a bad place.
I think some of the comments directed at Bernie, the teams, sky or the beeb at best demonstrate a misunderstanding of the situation and at worst are just plain insulting and nasty.
Bernie invites insults and nastiness.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2933072)   #308
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Bernie invites insults and nastiness.
He does indeed but that doesn't mean we have to act in an insulting and nasty way.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2933073)   #309
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He's not the only one
Old 29 Jul 2011, 22:58 (Ref:2933076)   #310
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I hold grudging respect for Bernie. He is an arse at times. Often in fact. But you can't deny the good he has done for the sport.

I feel his judgement of late, though, has been a bit too eccentric unfortunately.

This latest problem was of course started by the BBC getting cold feet, but I can't help feel that if it was someone other than Bernie a better accomodation would have been reached. And that could not harm the sport IMO.

I do not wish death on the man though. There is no place for that kind of sentiment.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 23:00 (Ref:2933077)   #311
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The way the story broke this morning was not handled very well. The teams seemed to know nothing about it. BE was very vague but as the day went we started to hear more and that the new arrangements were not as bad as first thought. This was possibly as a result of fans reaction to the new arrangements. The Beeb said nothing until late in the day and its presenters seemed to know less than anybody else.

By Sunday evening the mud should start to clear and will the Murdock clan finally be able to start control of F1?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 23:02 (Ref:2933078)   #312
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Bernie was good for the sport years ago, yes.

But he hasn't been in a number of ways for many years. People in F1 are scared to hold him to account publicly. He carved himself a nice deal and did not much good for motorsport recently.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 23:03 (Ref:2933079)   #313
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He does indeed but that doesn't mean we have to act in an insulting and nasty way.
I haven't read the whole thread, but speaking for myself, I'm not. However, I will say what I think of the situation unlike so many in F1 who fear him.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 23:06 (Ref:2933080)   #314
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Another nonsense is countries like Spain, who don't care much for F1 (only Alonso) still get free-to-air and the devoted British do not.

Genuinely, nothing has angered me like this for a long time.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 23:07 (Ref:2933081)   #315
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
The way the story broke this morning was not handled very well. The teams seemed to know nothing about it. BE was very vague but as the day went we started to hear more and that the new arrangements were not as bad as first thought. This was possibly as a result of fans reaction to the new arrangements. The Beeb said nothing until late in the day and its presenters seemed to know less than anybody else.

By Sunday evening the mud should start to clear and will the Murdock clan finally be able to start control of F1?
I just wonder if Bernie has come round to thinking that with Murdoch baying at his heels for control of F1 and the fact Bernie is getting on, it might just be better to gradually hand over F1 to the Murdoch empire, starting with TV coverage and make a tidy profit on the side?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 23:10 (Ref:2933082)   #316
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I would just like to clarify I had not read comments about wishing he was dead and I do not do that.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 23:12 (Ref:2933085)   #317
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Another nonsense is countries like Spain, who don't care much for F1 (only Alonso) still get free-to-air and the devoted British do not.

Genuinely, nothing has angered me like this for a long time.
I feel better than the day I heard ITV had got it. I definitely feel better than the day ITV showed their first race!
Old 29 Jul 2011, 23:18 (Ref:2933088)   #318
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I just wonder if Bernie has come round to thinking that with Murdoch baying at his heels for control of F1 and the fact Bernie is getting on, it might just be better to gradually hand over F1 to the Murdoch empire, starting with TV coverage and make a tidy profit on the side?
All Bernie seems to think of is $$$$$ and for them he needs control. We don't know how much the new deal is worth as sky have not said how much it is costing them but I doubt Bernie is getting less than £60 million between the beeb and sky.

Lets not forget £60 million should run a mid grid F1 team for a year.

I can't see Bernie giving up control of F1 until he goes 6 feet under.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 23:20 (Ref:2933089)   #319
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

But with the BBC it has been nigh-on perfect.

That we've supposedly been spoiled with how amazing it is that F1 has been free-to-air is not a reason to meekly put up and shut up about it though. This is regression. It matters not a jot how little was broadcast in the 70s etc.

Many of the new viewers will be those already with Sky Sports. This is limiting motorsport generally. One day, we will all die and new viewers and people passionate about motorsport will be that bit harder to come by. This is only good for Bernie and the Murdochs.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 23:23 (Ref:2933091)   #320
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
All Bernie seems to think of is $$$$$ and for them he needs control. We don't know how much the new deal is worth as sky have not said how much it is costing them but I doubt Bernie is getting less than £60 million between the beeb and sky.

Lets not forget £60 million should run a mid grid F1 team for a year.

I can't see Bernie giving up control of F1 until he goes 6 feet under.
I know he cares money, however he is old and circumstance might intervene, in which case the gardual take over by Murdoch would be a good thing.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 23:32 (Ref:2933094)   #321
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Murdoch and good things? What insanity.

I look forward to watching on illegal streams and hope many will boycott Sky.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 23:36 (Ref:2933095)   #322
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Murdoch and good things? What insanity.

I look forward to watching on illegal streams and hope many will boycott Sky.
No. A gradual take over by Murdoch would be a good thing from Bernie's point of view.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 23:40 (Ref:2933096)   #323
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Ah, I see. You mean for him. I'm tired and didn't read your post properly. I'm also very grouchy and have to be up in 3 hours for a flight, so goodnight.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 23:41 (Ref:2933097)   #324
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Ah, I see. You mean for him. I'm tired and didn't read your post properly. I'm also very grouchy and have to be up in 3 hours for a flight, so goodnight.
Ok, no probs have a safe flight.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 00:06 (Ref:2933101)   #325
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although disapointing that F1 has gone to Sky I think it's almost innevitable that they would eventually get it - it all comes down to finances and the BBC has less of the money now and need to cut money from things that no not come under the remit of a PSB.

We are still getting half the races live and the others delayed - not really that bad at all. Sky could have had it all and the BBC left with nothing and it's a long contract so hopefully we will be settled for the next few years.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky