Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 4 Feb 2002, 12:12 (Ref:210047)   #1
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
How long before spectators are killed at rallies?

Without wishing to be morbid, I have been watching rallying on the TV for some years and it seems to me that we have been very lucky not to have had a major accident involving spectator deaths so far. Watching spectators standing so close to the action, with no protection is surely a recipe for disaster? In the same vein, if you look at where many of them stand, should a car lose control and leave the stage, then there would be virtually no place for them to run to or hide.

While I fully appreciate the problems in keeping people back from the racing line in such circumstances, I feel we are living on borroed time with regard to a major accident that will mar the face of international motorsport.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 13:01 (Ref:210092)   #2
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back in 1986, at the height of Group B cars, I think it was in Portugal, a car left the track and ploughed into the spectators. So it is not a case of when this will happen, but, and on certain rallies, how many accidents/injuries. In the current litigeous climate, as you have said Stephen, can Rallying afford this?

I have attended rallies in the UK and the majority of people, that is 98% up, do stand where they should. For me, standing on the side of the track is a major part of the enjoyment, and I would hate any incident to take that from me. But I can see it happening
Old 4 Feb 2002, 13:10 (Ref:210097)   #3
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without a doubt it is my biggest worry with regard to motor sport. One day a major incident will occur and it's likely to be on the scale of the Le Mans disaster of 1955.

When that happens, the shockwave will not end with rallies and desert races, it will carry on through to the highest levels, possibly putting all motor racing at risk.

They are taking too many liberties with rallies, in my opinion.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 13:24 (Ref:210113)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Actually Ray I was about to compare it to the Le Mans disater as well.

Jason, standing on the edge of the track might be a great place for you, but do you ever look around you to see where to jump or hide should the worst happen?

Whilst I appreciate that you cannot stick miles of armco and debris fence in a forest, surely there could be safer places that spectators are enforced/encouraged to stand?

Before I get hundreds of replies, yes I do realise you cannot rope off miles of forest and that people will always find a way around things. But, as Ray rightly said, the recriminations will be enormous and will change the face of motor racing.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 13:47 (Ref:210134)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I think it's a problem which is going to get worse as rallying continues in its bid to rival F1 as a spectator sport. Recognition of this problem is why the option exists to cancel a stage if spectator numbers make it unsafe. It gives the organisers some control over the situation - one stage on the Monte Carlo Rally was cancelled for this reason - but could, I think, lead to problems. If a spectator is badly hurt, the question will be asked, why wasn't the stage cancelled; on the other hand, if too many stages are cancelled, the rally is devalued as a competition.

Who'd be a rally marshal? Not me - as an ex-navigator,I know the abuse they suffer!
Old 4 Feb 2002, 13:51 (Ref:210135)   #6
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WE have had a number of multi casualty accidents in the UK over the last couple of years, the most recent at Rally GB. Surely the FIA must be aware of the problems and be actively looking to address them. Or is the main problem that it's not F1?
Old 4 Feb 2002, 16:00 (Ref:210173)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Could it be that you have hit the nail on the head there? Of course, rally's are not subject to Bernievision either are they!
Old 4 Feb 2002, 17:05 (Ref:210215)   #8
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
...Jason, standing on the edge of the track might be a great place for you, but do you ever look around you to see where to jump or hide should the worst happen?....
A place to run is the FIRST thing i look for when finding a place to stand. Also I stand at least 3 feet from the side and, where possible, above the trackway.

I always obey the officals, being one myself I know annoying it can be when you are ignored!

And in reply to Teletubby, I went to the Dave Richards lecture at the Autosport, and from the comments made, his company ISC , the MSA and the FIA are looking at ways to make our rallies safer.

The problem we have is that most events in the UK happen in National Trust areas or consevation regiones, so cutting down swathes of trees is not really a solution.

When I go and spectate, I aware of the risks, and accept them, but as has bben said, there will be a time when the risks are too high to go out into the forrests, either as a spectator, or a competitor.

Law suits come easy today

Last edited by jase; 4 Feb 2002 at 17:13.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 18:26 (Ref:210289)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Jason,

Many thanks for the reply, it was most informative. Actually, to hear from someone 'on the spot' as it were is always a sight better than those of us who have never been to a rally.

I don't think any of us would suggest cutting down trees or erecting miles of barriers, but there has to be a safer way for the majority of people to spectate at rallies.

From what I have seen on the TV, the worst offenders are those on the Continent and to see footage of people dashing out of the way as the car comes over a ridge strikes me as plain foolishness.

As I said in the original comment, I am deeply concerned that at some time soon there is going to be a rally where those stupid enough to stand in dangerous places, will get run down and killed by a car.

Stay safe and thanks once again for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 20:25 (Ref:210323)   #10
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jason,

I am aware of what was said but look at the facts, a major accident involving injury to an F1 driver is followed by rule changes almost instantly. A number of accidents involving not only drivers and co-drivers has the FIA 'looking at ways to make it safer'

Hmmmm, something not quite right there!

That said F1 has suffered from a huge overreaction, particularly after Imola 1994 but that is not the only instance.

I understand that it is not so easy to close off areas of forest, on the outside of a corner for example, but that does not make it OK to still be looking into it.

Sadly my view is still that it's not F1 so......