Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 12 Apr 2007, 23:08 (Ref:1890068)   #1
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Timekeeper

Our Club is on the look out for people interested in training as timekeepers for sprints. Usual venues in the SE - including race circuits and airfield. Would suit someone with a long term interest in the sport - especially marshalls etc fed up with standing out in the cold all day !- even at the airfield circuits, you get a nice warm caravan. You won't even have to join our club. If interested, in the first instance please pm me, and I'll get back to you and get the Clubs timekeepers to get in touch !

Thanks
Alan
Old 13 Apr 2007, 19:05 (Ref:1890651)   #2
CsM
Rookie

England
Dereham, Norfolk
CsM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What club is it
Old 16 Apr 2007, 22:57 (Ref:1893469)   #3
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Apologies for taking so long to reply - busy trying to get new engine installed in Astra for Brands Tintops on 5th May.
Club is Borough 19, we have a couple of events in your neck of the woods coming up - Snetterton some time in July ( I think ) and Hethel later in the year, - The next nearest ( apologies Geography not that great ) is Bentwaters still to come and loads of North Wealds - also some Lyddens, but that would be quite a distance from Norfolk.

http://www.borough19motorclub.co.uk/

Thanks
Alan
if interested at all, please pm or email me - even if only with some questions
Old 16 Apr 2007, 23:19 (Ref:1893480)   #4
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Noble work timekeeping. No clockies, no racing.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 08:42 (Ref:1893642)   #5
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
I know several people who wanted to get involved in Timekeeping but were put off by all the long apprenticeship.

I thoroughly agree with Blackcrow's view - we need timekeepers.

It is a very varied 'profession' a friend of mine who is one of the leading timekeepers did a WRC event, a Land Rover trial and a sprint at Pembrey on successive week-ends! Great fun!

Old 17 Apr 2007, 09:27 (Ref:1893676)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
Noble work timekeeping. No clockies, no racing.
Well actually I would argue that "no speed events or rallies" would be more accurate.

For racing (leave aside handicaps) what we actually need is lap recorders. The times are irrelevant except for determining the grid. So get competitiors to agree a way of making up the grid order and we no longer need timekeepers at race events.

Yes, I know that is a simplistic view and I only make it for discussion really. (And, of course, I know, like and respect many timekeepers. )

But all the same. . .

Regards

Jim
Old 17 Apr 2007, 09:34 (Ref:1893685)   #7
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
B19 do a great job.....they're often timekeepers for our events
Old 17 Apr 2007, 11:30 (Ref:1893754)   #8
Tick Tock Man
Rookie

Tick Tock Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JimW is right, you do not need timekeepers for circuit racing and it was even suggested by one club some years ago. It didn't happen because drivers want to know what lap times they have done and how they compare to others and to past performance.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 12:24 (Ref:1893802)   #9
F1n
Rookie

Scotland
F1n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
Well actually I would argue that "no speed events or rallies" would be more accurate.

For racing (leave aside handicaps) what we actually need is lap recorders. The times are irrelevant except for determining the grid. So get competitiors to agree a way of making up the grid order and we no longer need timekeepers at race events.

Jim
Ah but to be really annoying........... this thread is in the Hillclimb and Sprint section therefore "Noble work timekeeping. No clockies, no racing" is absolutely accurate as there would be no need to specify speed events. But thats me just being an A**e!,

Timekeepers are absolutely crucial and undervalued, i recall being start marshall at a sprint in Alford where the time keeper had to re set up the start beams after a certain Pilbeam MP62 driver took them out on the last lap of his second timed run . It was lashing with rain, everyone had already had a dry run 1st time run and to top it off there was only one more car to run for the day! Timekeeper never uttered a single bad word. I was in histerics as the driver with his tail between his legs happened to be my Dad!
Old 17 Apr 2007, 22:53 (Ref:1894329)   #10
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
B19 do a great job.....they're often timekeepers for our events
Suze - Hello
I don't spose anyone of your lot in Sevenoaks is interested ?
Old 18 Apr 2007, 07:02 (Ref:1894441)   #11
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll put a post on the 7oaks forum Alan and ask the Acorn editor to put it in the club mag too...drop me a PM with your contact details and can do it today.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 09:45 (Ref:1894555)   #12
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Just a quick note on the circuit racing timekeeping thing. I agree to a point, it is less fundamental to the whole shebang. But I would mention that with the amount of telemetry systems and personal timing equipment out there, I would presume that a Circuit CofC relies fairly heavily on his timekeepers if there's a diciplinary dispute, complaint or appeal.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 12:08 (Ref:1894647)   #13
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
Just a quick note on the circuit racing timekeeping thing. I agree to a point, it is less fundamental to the whole shebang. But I would mention that with the amount of telemetry systems and personal timing equipment out there, I would presume that a Circuit CofC relies fairly heavily on his timekeepers if there's a disciplinary dispute, complaint or appeal.
Yes, good point. Also the timekeeping system provides lots of instant information which can be a surprising help to the Race Control team when running a session.

Regards

Jim