Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Dec 2016, 17:43 (Ref:3693935)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Farewell Ron

A very gracious tribute to the Ronster from Claire Williams: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127411/williams-dennis-mclaren-exit-end-of-an-era

I think it is all too easy to forget that, without Ron Dennis and Philip Morris, McLaren would have sunk into a probably-terminal decline in the early 1980s and now be regarded in the same way as teams like Cooper, Brabham and Tyrrell.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 19:17 (Ref:3693961)   #2
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No to take anything away from Ron's impact (large) and departure, I will be sad when Sir Frank Williams is no longer involved. It's not clear to me as to how involved he is today vs. Clair, but still is Frank the last of the team principles of that era to still be involved?

Richard
Old 5 Dec 2016, 19:26 (Ref:3693962)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ron no doubt had saved McLaren from abyss and I can't imagine a grid without McLaren now as a result
Old 6 Dec 2016, 05:02 (Ref:3694076)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Ron Dennis is McLaren in my mind and to see him go this way is really rather sad ..
Old 6 Dec 2016, 12:59 (Ref:3694157)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
No to take anything away from Ron's impact (large) and departure, I will be sad when Sir Frank Williams is no longer involved. It's not clear to me as to how involved he is today vs. Clair, but still is Frank the last of the team principles of that era to still be involved?

Richard
I think Sir Frank is relinquishing more and more control to the lovely Claire, and of course his recent spell in hospital will have distanced him from the season run-in. But I agree, it will be the end of an extraordinary era when Sir Frank steps back altogether, much as it was when Il Commendatore died.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 15:46 (Ref:3696434)   #6
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I'm suspicious of family succession whenever I see it. I was suspicious of Claire's prospects are she came to the fore. But the transition has been quiet and efficient.

As for Ron Dennis, definitely a legend.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 15:55 (Ref:3696439)   #7
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I think the way Claire has stepped up to the plate to be very much the public face of Williams has been very impressive. Their performance has slipped back this year and last, but hopefully the new regs will allow them to provide Stroll and A.N. Other with a solid car. Also, if it means CW is on television more, I shan't be complaining.
Old 16 Dec 2016, 19:53 (Ref:3696720)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
She's certainly very independent and certainly has been a big surprise the way she's made the step up
Old 17 Dec 2016, 04:00 (Ref:3696782)   #9
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Ron Dennis is McLaren in my mind and to see him go this way is really rather sad ..
Yup, screwed over by his "family", not very nice!

Every one of the jerks indebted to Ron for their McLaren affiliation.

A real bunch of gentlemen!
Old 17 Dec 2016, 10:07 (Ref:3696806)   #10
chris bailey
Racer

chris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridchris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron re-wrote the rule book on how to present yourself and your team. You could see it in his F2 team before he took on McLaren. Suddenly, presentation was important, and not the afterthought that prevailed before. F1 became a shiny thing that didn't smell of sweat and oily rags. People mock him for his fastidious attention to detail, but modern F1 is largely created in his image.

Whether that's a good thing or not is another conversation.......
Old 17 Dec 2016, 11:35 (Ref:3696813)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Yup, screwed over by his "family", not very nice!

Every one of the jerks indebted to Ron for their McLaren affiliation.

A real bunch of gentlemen!
Not sure Mansour Ojjeh is indebted to Ron. And if it's true that Ron was trying to negotiate a buy-out deal while Ojjeh was having a lung transplant, you can see why MO would be a bit ticked off.
Old 17 Dec 2016, 11:49 (Ref:3696816)   #12
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Not sure Mansour Ojjeh is indebted to Ron. And if it's true that Ron was trying to negotiate a buy-out deal while Ojjeh was having a lung transplant, you can see why MO would be a bit ticked off.
If Ojjeh had died during this operation it is quite possible that Ron would have been left scrambling to protect his company, knowing Ron, that was a detail he would never have left unattended. Sadly Ojjeh for whatever reason seems to have taken it personally and it has come back to bite Ron.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 16:33 (Ref:3697158)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Well, that didn't last long: http://www.autosport.com/news/report...-leave-mclaren

Wonder what Capito will do next? Can't go running back to Volkswagen.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 16:39 (Ref:3697160)   #14
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Well, that didn't last long: http://www.autosport.com/news/report...-leave-mclaren

Wonder what Capito will do next? Can't go running back to Volkswagen.
Too many 'Chiefs and not enough Indians' I suspect is the reason here. Where will he go - I am going to put Toyota (WRC) or as a wild card maybe to M-Sport as he was ex-Ford - to try and entice some more support from Ford for M-Sport?
Old 19 Dec 2016, 16:42 (Ref:3697163)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's quite the purge going on at McLaren nowadays...
Old 19 Dec 2016, 17:58 (Ref:3697171)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

If Eric Boullier now leaves, the team will be in real lumber
Old 19 Dec 2016, 19:07 (Ref:3697182)   #17
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
There's quite the purge going on at McLaren nowadays...
Who else in senior roles have close ties to Ron?

Richard
Old 19 Dec 2016, 19:31 (Ref:3697184)   #18
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ekrem Sami has also been deposed as Director of McLaren Technology Group.

Sami is a long time Dennis ally, going back 40 years.

The phrase involving babies and bath water springs to mind.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 20:29 (Ref:3697203)   #19
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Ekrem still has his role in the F1 team though
Old 19 Dec 2016, 20:55 (Ref:3697209)   #20
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jost Capito seems to have found the exit door as well, another person brought in by Ron Dennis Then who has not come into McLaren that Ron was not involved in their arrival?
Old 19 Dec 2016, 21:10 (Ref:3697211)   #21
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Ekrem still has his role in the F1 team though
The article mentions remaining in some type of marketing role? My perception is that in situation in which a long time employee is made redundant (particularly due to restructuring vs. an error on the part of that person) that they may park him in position "on paper" until he can find employment elsewhere vs. just dumping them onto the street.

Richard
Old 19 Dec 2016, 22:50 (Ref:3697233)   #22
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Or getting Ron's crafty "second vote" off the board...
Old 20 Dec 2016, 14:24 (Ref:3697351)   #23
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
The article mentions remaining in some type of marketing role? My perception is that in situation in which a long time employee is made redundant (particularly due to restructuring vs. an error on the part of that person) that they may park him in position "on paper" until he can find employment elsewhere vs. just dumping them onto the street.

Richard
Probably a version of gardening leave, he could be useful in the heritage division.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 14:56 (Ref:3697352)   #24
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
Probably a version of gardening leave, he could be useful in the heritage division.
What to talk about the old days when they used to win races and had sponsors?...
Old 20 Dec 2016, 16:45 (Ref:3697373)   #25
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
What to talk about the old days when they used to win races and had sponsors?...
Harsh but fair