Old 4 Nov 2002, 15:17 (Ref:421456)   #1
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Online racing

Do any of you guys race online ?

if so which game and how do you find the servers or machine to connect to ?
Old 5 Nov 2002, 16:57 (Ref:422272)   #2
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
hmm, I thought online racing would be more popular than this
Old 5 Nov 2002, 17:04 (Ref:422278)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not really...
Old 5 Nov 2002, 19:56 (Ref:422439)   #4
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ive had a go with Mr V....but we couldnt seem to connect using are normal ISP's....we had to dial each other direct from the modem , which means it was costing money on the phone bill.....even though i already pay a monthly fee for internet time .

anyway , we played GP3 ....it was quite funny really , the frame rate was fairly slow which affected the game abit , and after about 10 laps we kinda stopped racing each other and just tryed to crash into Micheal Schumacher and take him out of the race !

good fun though .
Old 5 Nov 2002, 20:16 (Ref:422454)   #5
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing games don't really work online without 2 mega pc's and a broadband connection. It's better to play on a lan or in split screen anyway because then you can shout abuse at each other!
Old 5 Nov 2002, 23:35 (Ref:422606)   #6
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
hmm, i can play TOCA2 fine even when a 56k modem hosts it, the game runs fine the only problem is the other drivers appear very jerky but the results are still accurate.

If anyone one wants to try TOCA2 online (pc version) then let me know or see if im in 10 10ths chat room.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 06:11 (Ref:422727)   #7
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wooody , can you connect through your usual internet provider when you play it ?
Old 6 Nov 2002, 07:38 (Ref:422740)   #8
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
my experience of it is: go ADSL before racing online. it really is **** without it - and also its a tad over-rated, when you feel like racing - no-ones online and it takes about an hour to befriend someone and get them to race...when you do they march off into the horizon or you get disconnected and can't re-connect.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 6 Nov 2002, 10:45 (Ref:422833)   #9
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
Sato san, ive had no problems connecting to games with any ISP ive had including BTInternet and Freeserve.

Number Juan, I know 56k sux compared to broadband but it can still be very playable on 56k modem if not its probably dodgy net code on the game. Half life/CS/etc are all very playable on 56k infact i kick many LPBs a**

but TOCA2 is fine for 1 to 1 race on a 56k modem, you just get a jerky opponent. There used to be a TOCA2 chat room on codemasters site where I had many races hosted by people with broadband, but codemasters removed it.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 13:24 (Ref:422946)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've never played online, but I would really like to have a go at GPL. I've got a decent pc and broadband, so I guess I'd probably be OK. There seem to be so many leagues and competitions catering for all levels of ability in GPL that I really will have to give it a go sooner or later.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 15:34 (Ref:423022)   #11
GasMan
Racer

GasMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, I've been racing with GPL online for just over two years now. Up until May there, I was on a 56K dialup connection and despite the odd disconnection from a game server I could race alongside others fairly solidly. With it though there were some warp and lag problems but only if there was a large number of racers connected. Since I got broadband, I've not had any disconnections , or major lag/warp.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 17:49 (Ref:423991)   #12
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try www.vroc.net for all the servers you need for GPL as well as links for others. one thing to note is that you should only race with a server that has a ping of less than 200.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 00:42 (Ref:424237)   #13
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Electronic Arts runs a pretty decent online network for NFS: Porsche Unleashed and High Stakes.

Last edited by FastJoel31; 8 Nov 2002 at 00:42.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 17:58 (Ref:424741)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony_Simpson
Try www.vroc.net for all the servers you need for GPL as well as links for others. one thing to note is that you should only race with a server that has a ping of less than 200.
OK Tony. Who do you think I am? Some Chinese table tennis player?

Help out the ignorant - what's a "ping"?
Old 9 Nov 2002, 01:00 (Ref:424923)   #15
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aysedasi,

You must come online racing GPL. Hairing it round Spa fighting tooth and nail with someone else in real-time is something else!

'Ping' is the time it takes for a packet of data to be sent from your computer to a server and back again and is measured in milliseconds.

If the ping is 200 and you are racing another person, what you see the other guy do was actualy done by them 0.2 seconds before if you catch my drift.

The lower the ping, the quicker you see the action and hence better racing.

Old 11 Dec 2002, 12:57 (Ref:447567)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun
Aysedasi,

You must come online racing GPL. Hairing it round Spa fighting tooth and nail with someone else in real-time is something else!

How right you were, Spud!

If I was addicted to GPL before, I don't know how you'd describe it now - and I've only been racing online since last Saturday evening!!
Old 11 Dec 2002, 23:43 (Ref:447977)   #17
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God I cant wait for work to install ADSL for me at home...
Old 12 Dec 2002, 08:23 (Ref:448095)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by ghinzani
God I cant wait for work to install ADSL for me at home...
Well, you've obviously got a good employer!