Old 6 Nov 2008, 00:16 (Ref:2329145)   #1
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting to the Nurburgring

Hi all,

I've just been made aware of a couple of RMA track days at the Nordschleife next week. I'm thinking about going, but I'd have to fly and rent a ride.

Has anybody done this before, if so what seems to be the best method of getting there? I'm 20 minutes from East Midlands and about an hour from Birmingham & Manchester Airports.

Any tips appreciated
Old 6 Nov 2008, 12:57 (Ref:2329389)   #2
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hodgkinson
Hi all,

I've just been made aware of a couple of RMA track days at the Nordschleife next week. I'm thinking about going, but I'd have to fly and rent a ride.

Has anybody done this before, if so what seems to be the best method of getting there? I'm 20 minutes from East Midlands and about an hour from Birmingham & Manchester Airports.

Any tips appreciated
1/ Try www.nurburgring.org.uk then click on 'ringers forum' then on the big green 'ringers' sign - should get loads of travel info.
2/ Have you any accommodation booked yet ? If not I've been recomended a very cheap place (meant to be very good) by the RCN press officer (been doing a few rounds of the RCN at the ring this year) I can let yopu have the details if you want them.
3/The ring is more 3 dimensional than any other circuit I've driven on - the car goes light in some not very nice places, and one part in particular, you want to start braking, but you have to wait for the car to 'come back down' or brake early ! It'll be ok when I learn it !

Have Fun
Alan
Old 6 Nov 2008, 18:31 (Ref:2329592)   #3
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Easyjet used to fly from E.Mids to Cologne (Koln-Bonn in german speak), you'll have to check whether they still do. Cologne is the closest airport. (there is also Frankfurt - Hahne, a Ryannair destination, slightly further away and a bit of a shack compared to Cologne)

You can rent a car from Cologne and drive to the Ring, approx 45mins pending on traffic, but don't use that car on track. The hire companies are very wise to that, they have various methods of knowing you have used it on track and the will charge you for excessive tyre/brake etc wear.

It is arguably the best circuit in the world so go enjoy yourself but remember it is also (one of) the most dangerous
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 8 Nov 2008, 21:14 (Ref:2330798)   #4
Tainan
Racer

United Kingdom
Sussex
Tainan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead

You can rent a car from Cologne and drive to the Ring, approx 45mins pending on traffic, but don't use that car on track. The hire companies are very wise to that, they have various methods of knowing you have used it on track and the will charge you for excessive tyre/brake etc wear.
I think that depends on the hire company - again check the website above for advice, and to be on the safe side check with the rental company when you book.
Old 9 Nov 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2331068)   #5
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to check with a hire company (I'm talking road car rental not track car) then you need to read the small print of the contract, however, a lot of the time you won't get a copy of the contracts terms and conditions unless you ask and then it will be in german. Its no good just asking the girl/guy at the desk as obviously you wont have any proof.

There are a number of dedicated track car rental companies based at the 'Ring, my advice would be to use one of those.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 10 Nov 2008, 14:05 (Ref:2332471)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I think this is more suited to the Track day forum.