Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Apr 2004, 16:46 (Ref:951210)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Dump Imola / change Imola

I have to say, todays race was so boring I actually fell asleep, I woke up and Poirot was on (how do you spell it?).
For gods sake, either change the track or dump it.
They need longer straights.
I say bring back Tamburello 94' then they can draft through Tamburello and pass into the kink/Tosa.
They should also get rid of all the chicanes and make the track a few metres wider.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 16:49 (Ref:951214)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The track should never have been altered.....sadly it was swallowed up in the post Ratzenberger/Senna kneejerk reaction hysteria.....

And you spelt Poirot right.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 16:52 (Ref:951218)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I agree , the straights are not long enough to get a draft on , I have never liked the new design of the track and would like some other solution than what they came up with , I think I actually saw a renault pass someone today I was impressed

it's a combination of both tracks and cars , the cars are to hard to pass in and the tracks dont lend themselves to overtaking , but I do hope they either drop Imola or fix it properly.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 16:53 (Ref:951221)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For Imola, today's race was actually quite potentially good...once again it's the lack of sufficient straight to allow overtaking.

If any changes need to be made, i'd suggest taking away the 2nd chicane and the last...
Old 25 Apr 2004, 16:57 (Ref:951224)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sure there were proposals a couple of years ago to alter the layout that were going to be in place for this year. I think it involved straightening the final chicane and changing the pits.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 19:29 (Ref:951339)   #6
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing that ruined the race for me was the pitstops, as soon as MS was able to come out in front of Button the race was over.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 20:07 (Ref:951378)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The track seems to have quite a few decent corners. However it isn't conjucive to racing as the last few years have shown - they are like Champcar races ( ).
Old 25 Apr 2004, 20:11 (Ref:951381)   #8
Rindt
Rookie

Rindt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The straights leading up to the corners are too short to build a decent tow, the corners are too narrow for the quicker driver behind to pose a genuine threat to the less quick driver ahead. The old Tamburello was ok, because the cars went practically full throttle from Variante Bassa to Tosa which was always good for overtaking (remember Pironi and Villeneuve in 1982 for instance), but that was ruined when Tamburello and Villeneuve were changed into mediocre chicanes.

So, with Senna, Imola died as well....
Old 25 Apr 2004, 20:30 (Ref:951405)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say change it, but the stigma that the 94 Imola race left, simply won't allow for that. Imagine they brought the track back to its original course, and they had another disastrous race?

Goodness, I don't even want to think of the ramifications that would follow...

Danica Patrick
Old 26 Apr 2004, 08:11 (Ref:951901)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
.. maybe some nuggets of Tilke's consultancy could sort out the problem...
Old 26 Apr 2004, 08:45 (Ref:951931)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Yes but they could re-profile Tamburello into a similar corner to the 1994 version, but have it more towards the infield so there is greater run off on the outside.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 19:51 (Ref:952684)   #12
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
It's a combination of both tracks and cars , the cars are too hard to pass in and the tracks dont lend themselves to overtaking , but I do hope they either drop Imola or fix it properly.
I agree completely. I must admit that, since the changes, Imola hasn't been one of the best tracks. Seeing as Italy already has the Italian GP, I won't be too sorry if Imola doesn't make it back onto the calendar, unless changes are made.

Last edited by krt917; 26 Apr 2004 at 19:52.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 11:53 (Ref:954517)   #13
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Imola is still better than most circuits on the F1 calendar, but it is a bit of a shadow compared to its former self. It needs longer straights, agreed.