Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Feb 2001, 13:16 (Ref:64874)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone seen this series before?? Or got an opinion about it??

Could be a race option, for next year...
Old 15 Feb 2001, 14:55 (Ref:64880)   #2
AlexF
Racer

United Kingdom
Newbury
AlexF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

I seen the series a few times, as I help a friend who races in the HSCC 60's version in an Elan.

The series is good, but mared by a organiser who is a complete snob! (Apparently Vaux. Frienza HPF's are not sports cars as they are based on a four door! But two years ago it was won by a Lancia Beta Coupe, funily enough their based on a 4 door!)

It looks good though, my fave. is a very early Esprit!
Old 15 Feb 2001, 16:14 (Ref:64894)   #3
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Weren't you there when they raced at Combe last year Dan? I've seen it a few times too and it seems to have a good balance of all sorts of cars, and isn't too full grid wise not to welcome a bright yellow midget!
Old 15 Feb 2001, 18:23 (Ref:64908)   #4
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know how it is - memory like a sieve...

Shall have to check out my programmes, don't think I was there last time round - think it was the time I was in La Manga last year. Same again this year!!
Old 15 Feb 2001, 18:32 (Ref:64909)   #5
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Looks a good series though..

Waiting for the regs, but from what I see already, it's very limited modifications only - suits me as it'll keep the costs down..

Shall have to see if they let a Midget 1500 in?? Rubber bumpers and all.....
Old 16 Feb 2001, 00:46 (Ref:64994)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Should be okay to run a Midget 1500 there, I would have thought. The youngest machine I recall seeing last year was a "V" reg 1979 TVR 1600S.

I have to say that this is one of my favourite series. There are some very idiosyncratic cars entered - last year an Eclat 521, a Scimitar GTE, a Jensen Interceptor III...

I'm inclined to say I can see why the Firenza HP didn't get in. It shares much of a shell with a production sports saloon, whereas the Beta Coupe is floorpan only, I believe. I'm sure the CSCC would be very keen to see another Firenza in their ranks. And I'd enjoy seeing it race, too.
Old 16 Feb 2001, 09:32 (Ref:65026)   #7
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a couple of rounds last year - Silverstone & Thruxton and I nearly bought a car to do it as it seemed very friendly and nicely & respectfully competitive all the way down the field - lots of interesting cars and a drive to the circuit rule
Old 16 Feb 2001, 12:43 (Ref:65055)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
A major problem however..

My car wasn't built until late 1979.. And not registered until May 1980.

Bet they don't allow that to be considered!!
Old 16 Feb 2001, 13:04 (Ref:65057)   #9
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1500 midget is allowed but you may need to provide proof of 1979 construction as its strictly manufactured and registered before 31/12/1979 - unless the committee are persuaded otherwise - conversely if its V reg and you're not winning I doubt anyone will care - on the track the class structure would work against you though - upto 1300 then up to 2000
Old 16 Feb 2001, 13:21 (Ref:65061)   #10
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Thought that committee approval may be the way forward..

Could be in the same class as Porsche 911's!! Think I know what would come off second best...

Anyway, something to consider - and will be interesting to read the regs.

Old 16 Feb 2001, 15:43 (Ref:65083)   #11
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's an easy one to sort out. As the Midget is a (whisper it) Leyland car, the construction records are held by the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust. They will issue a certificate with date of build and despatch and that sort of thing on it.

For a fee, of course...

At least this will be proof positive that your car was assembled during the right timeframe.
Old 19 Feb 2001, 20:22 (Ref:65592)   #12
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
I have the regs... very interetsing.
(Looks nice and basic - hence cheap!!!)

Shall probably write to the HSCC, and see what they say.
Old 2 Mar 2001, 17:20 (Ref:67618)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What happened to the MGOC Dan?
Old 4 Mar 2001, 11:50 (Ref:68095)   #14
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Nothing's been discounted as yet.. MGOC is still the target, but with the state of my bank account - any cheaper options should be considered!!

Any modifications that I'll do this year - I don't want to have to undo to race next year - so I'm weighing up the different regs nice and early.

No repsonse from the HSCC about my car yet though..
Old 8 Mar 2001, 12:47 (Ref:69379)   #15
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Helpful chap phoned from the HSCC yesterday - said my Midget should be fine - but would need to be cleared by the committee. No probs as it's within the spirit of the series..

Excellent.
Old 9 Mar 2001, 06:44 (Ref:69556)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Go to it then!!!
Old 10 Mar 2001, 09:13 (Ref:69794)   #17
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Ok then, I will!!

Project 2002 is officially GO!!