Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Mar 2010, 05:51 (Ref:2647213)   #1
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ALMS will return to Infineon/Sonoma/Sears Point in 2011!

I spoke with a rep from Infineon Raceway today, and before I even mentioned my interest in sports car racing, he mentioned that the ALMS would be returning the track in 2011 in a joint race weekend with the IRL in August. He also stated that they were extremely close to getting them there for this season, but it just didn't work out.

It'll be great to see some real sports cars back at Sears Point!
Old 8 Mar 2010, 07:19 (Ref:2647227)   #2
Kai
Racer

United States
San Francisco
Kai has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Awesome news, my first ALMS race I ever attended was at Sears Point, not to mention I live only 30 min away!
Old 8 Mar 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2647388)   #3
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cool! always enjoy any race there!

There's been a few changes since the ALMS last raced at Sonama...
get any idea on more changes to the track or which portions will be used?
I guess they'll use the same layout as the IRL runs since they are sharing the weekend?
do they still go through the "carousel"?
Old 8 Mar 2010, 13:15 (Ref:2647399)   #4
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That and add St. Pete for 2011.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2647464)   #5
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I just hope there is an ALMS in 2011.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 15:40 (Ref:2647506)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I would think that the ALMS will use the "Sportscar" circuit (2.52 miles), and ICS will use the 'Motorcycle' circuit (2.32 miles). When GA has run with ICS the last few seasons, they've still used the regular circuit for sportscars: no chicane before Turn 10, and using the hairpin right by the pits at Turn 11.

If SMI is softening its line, and the ALMS is getting cozier with ICS, it could bode well for having an opening to get into Watkins Glen.

RD, I seriously doubt things are that dire. We may have the Challenge classes now to help out how things looks, but getting new blood into the series during tough times is a VERY good thing no matter how you slice it. When things improve, these teams may well be in a position to move up into the main classes: GT2 and LMP1/2.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 15:58 (Ref:2647513)   #7
fiend540
Racer

United States
East Aurora NY
fiend540 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
If SMI is softening its line, and the ALMS is getting cozier with ICS, it could bode well for having an opening to get into Watkins Glen.
That would be awesome, and they are currently doing a bunch of work at the Glen too, redoing runoff areas, adding safer barriers and new curbing that is FIA spec as well as other things.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 16:04 (Ref:2647515)   #8
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
I just hope there is an ALMS in 2011.
Champcar added laguna in '08.

*cough*
Old 8 Mar 2010, 16:24 (Ref:2647528)   #9
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was funny!
Old 8 Mar 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2647601)   #10
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
More cars in the ALMS, more cars in Patron GT3 Challenge and more cars in Cooper Lights series at Sebring, than last year. Every IMSA (owned) series has growth year/year. While it is feasible there could be more changes next year, I don't think these series are going anywhere.

I like Sears Point, and look forward to the races there, assuming the information is correct. If it is, it looks like Mosport's date might get moved again, but that doesn't seem to bother the Tundra Monkeys.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 21:22 (Ref:2647747)   #11
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Let's cross our fingers.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 23:23 (Ref:2647819)   #12
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
More cars in the ALMS, more cars in Patron GT3 Challenge and more cars in Cooper Lights series at Sebring, than last year. Every IMSA (owned) series has growth year/year. While it is feasible there could be more changes next year, I don't think these series are going anywhere.

I like Sears Point, and look forward to the races there, assuming the information is correct. If it is, it looks like Mosport's date might get moved again, but that doesn't seem to bother the Tundra Monkeys.
There you go using more logic, reasoning and fact to defend the existence of the American Le Mans Series! Buy a Picchio and run in the Rolex Series already.

Chris
Old 9 Mar 2010, 17:04 (Ref:2648308)   #13
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
There are two Californian races in 2010's 9-race ALMS season. Is there any reason to add a third one? What they need is a second Southern race (Barber or Virginia), a Mid-Atlantic race (Watkins Glen or New Jersey) and perhaps a second Canadian race and a second Floridan race. But that could only happen if Grand-Am loses theirs.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2648355)   #14
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
There are two Californian races in 2010's 9-race ALMS season. Is there any reason to add a third one? What they need is a second Southern race (Barber or Virginia), a Mid-Atlantic race (Watkins Glen or New Jersey) and perhaps a second Canadian race and a second Floridan race. But that could only happen if Grand-Am loses theirs.

There are 3 races west of the Mississippi, the whole Western half of the country. 1 in the N.E. of the Central US (R/A) and 5 in the Eastern corridor including Mosport. Give me a break, if any races need adding they should be west of the Mississippi. A third race in Cali. might be a bit much (?), but that would be better than in the Eastern corridor.

L.P.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 18:38 (Ref:2648405)   #15
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be happy with Portland...
Old 9 Mar 2010, 18:40 (Ref:2648408)   #16
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
There are 3 races west of the Mississippi, the whole Western half of the country. 1 in the N.E. of the Central US (R/A) and 5 in the Eastern corridor including Mosport. Give me a break, if any races need adding they should be west of the Mississippi. A third race in Cali. might be a bit much (?), but that would be better than in the Eastern corridor.

L.P.
Oklahoma is west of the Mississippi
Old 9 Mar 2010, 19:38 (Ref:2648455)   #17
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
St Pete back in plus Infineon (and beyond... :-p)

Apparently two more street races being discussed (not Houston) any ideas?

Ben
Old 9 Mar 2010, 21:17 (Ref:2648509)   #18
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrben View Post
St Pete back in plus Infineon (and beyond... :-p)

Apparently two more street races being discussed (not Houston) any ideas?

Ben

Oklahoma City is one.

http://www.okblitz.com/Article.aspx?id=18006

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...50094835_x.htm
Old 10 Mar 2010, 00:48 (Ref:2648625)   #19
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
HORNDAWG, the population west of N-S Dakota / Nebraska / Kansas / Oklahoma (them included, no Texas) is 80 million. Mid-Atlantic + New England has some 60 million, the Midwest some 60 million, the South + Florida some 70... I believe that the west/east race ratio should be more or less the same as the population ratio.

Last edited by NaBUru38; 10 Mar 2010 at 00:55.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 01:05 (Ref:2648632)   #20
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
In my, admittedly European, opinion, the west coast needs more, full stop.

First off, Portland is a brilliant city to visit - so please give me another excuse to do so.

Second, CA is vast - there's no reason why a quality product can't talk to a decent body of consumers in the markets served by Laguna Seca, Long Beach, and Sears Point.

I will say that from my perspective having had jobs that have taken me a lot to to DC area and the NE more generally that an additional presence there would have been nice, but given my signal ability to be in the right geographic space at almost exactly the wrong time is legendary (missed the Dubai 24 by about 8 hours this year) not sure I can, hand on heart, really make any comment on locations...

Do see there's comment about Oklahoma elsewhere on the forum - this likely to be a runner or a pipe dream?
Old 10 Mar 2010, 01:44 (Ref:2648645)   #21
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post

Do see there's comment about Oklahoma elsewhere on the forum - this likely to be a runner or a pipe dream?
Impossible to say. The City is taking a look at the feasibility. We'll see what the results of this, and any potential negotiations with the ALMS go. Who knows if the ALMS even wants to go there, or that particular track.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 02:01 (Ref:2648651)   #22
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i must be under the "eastern US granite" rock and to lazy to look. how long have they been pondering Okie City and where the hell is the track? is it any good?

and if isynge considers Cali is vast, what about the entire mid west? it's huge...you could have a race in one spot and still not be feasible for someone from the other part of the mid west to go...

i'd like to see them at Portland as well...not the most thrilling of tracks but has two or three quick and exciting sections. VIR would be my pick for adds but i've also enjoyed them at Sonoma.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 02:22 (Ref:2648655)   #23
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
First off, Portland is a brilliant city to visit - so please give me another excuse to do so.
Vancouver would be brilliant to go to. The last Champcar race was good, but had to move because of the Olympics. Since that's now over with, it could also run as part of the Asian Series (since it's part of the Pacific Rim).
Old 10 Mar 2010, 14:57 (Ref:2648944)   #24
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
FoD79, the proposed street circuit is in Bricktown: the revitalized, old downtown area of the city. It's just south and east of the high rises of cureent downtown. That layout itself isn't anything fancy (a six-turn "L" shape), but the major streets in the area are certainly wide enough. And with two ~600m straights, and a roughly 1km straight, there will be overtaking potential.

Three races in California wouldn't be unprecedented. In fact, on the West Coast, IMSA ran Portland, Sears Point, Laguna Seca, and Riverside concurrently. VIR would be a nice addition to the calendar. Barber, unfortunately, just doesn't allow the room for the cars to really stretch their legs. And in this middle part of the country, the only potential, permanent venues I see are Brainerd and Heartland Park.

Last edited by Purist; 10 Mar 2010 at 15:02.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2648991)   #25
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thoght about Topeka. I have not paid any attention to it lately, how much would it take to run the series there, FIAizing etc...?

L.P.