Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Drifting

Old 7 Mar 2008, 19:42 (Ref:2146492)   #1
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mondello Park, Time-Attack series.

I see Mondello Park are introducing a new Time-Attack series. As well as supporting the Pro-Drift meetings, and the Jap Fest, it will also run alongside three more traditional Mondello race meetings.

looks like Mondello are embracing the Drifting scene, and are keen to introduce the sport to new people.

Full more details Click Here
Old 7 Mar 2008, 19:49 (Ref:2146497)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mondello have had drifiting events for a couple of years now. They are fairly well attended, I've been on the rescue unit for a couple of them.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 20:07 (Ref:2146511)   #3
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was talking to a guy at the Autosport Show, and he reckoned Mondello are currently making more money out of Drifting than any other type of Motorsport.

I'm not sure whether I believed him, I would have thought the BTCC or the Superbikes would lead the profitability stakes.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2146520)   #4
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet
I'm not sure whether I believed him, I would have thought the BTCC or the Superbikes would lead the profitability stakes.
All the teams for the BTCC and SuperBikes want Mondello to contribute (significantly) to them to pay for ferry costs. As a results these series are very touch and go as to whether they break even for Mondello.

Given the number of people that spectate at the drift days it's easy to see why it's a bigger earner than circuit racing.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 23:33 (Ref:2168242)   #5
Prodrift
Rookie

Ireland
Prodrift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taken from ......http://www.prodriftseries.com/2008/0...t-spectacular/

Due to the small area of the Mondello Park circuit which drifting uses, spectator space can be at a premium, even for Irish championship rounds. To combat this for the visit of the European Series the circuit has installed an extra 2,500 grandstand seats overlooking Stena Line and Honda corners. These seats along with the ones in the permanent stand are currently on sale through ticket lord where drift fans can also avail of reduced price advanced booking offers.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 07:31 (Ref:2168429)   #6
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Interesting, for an "underground" sport it certainly seems to be taking off in Ireland. I wonder how long it'll be before the circuit racers are finding their days cut and the number of drifiting rounds increasing.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2168580)   #7
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
hudder:
I've seen drifting demos and drifting competitions used as fillers in race programmes. As a marshal, once I was sure I was off duty (not just the dreaded stand down), it was time for some zzzz's.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 22:09 (Ref:2169061)   #8
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
I'm still in two minds about drifting, I can see the skill involved but it's still not racing. I guess it's like the difference between something like speed skating and ice dance, or between swimming and synchronised swimming. Different sides of a similar coin.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 23:15 (Ref:2169114)   #9
Prodrift
Rookie

Ireland
Prodrift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kris Meeke will compete with PD in 08, like it or loath it , its appealing to a new audience that dont care for other motorsports whilst also keeping circuits and tuners very busy.

http://www.prodriftseries.com/2008/0...igns-up-to-pd/
Old 3 Apr 2008, 23:28 (Ref:2169119)   #10
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Not sure if I'll be on the rescue unit for the April Mondello round, but I'm sure I'm scheduled for at least one Mondello drift event this year.