Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > Historic Image Archive

Old 5 Feb 2009, 19:59 (Ref:2389297)   #51
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And it's entering Clubhouse Corner, the sharp left before the Esses at the old circuit.

when the 711 was first shown, it had a full engine cover and ducts over the radiators:
https://modell-paradies.de/onShop/pi...125-400ART.JPG

but immediately overheated, so they were removed.

Paul M
Old 12 Feb 2009, 17:43 (Ref:2396287)   #52
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This could get seriously confusing with loads of different 'Who, what, when and where' threads, so I have merged them, and 'pinned' the thread up.
Old 25 Mar 2009, 08:50 (Ref:2424263)   #53
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You'll find a few correctly labelled Donington cars on this page of my website:

http://www.tops.co.nz/CARS/Donington/prewar.htm

I do have the programmes for several prewar Donington races - somewhere... Also several copies of the ERA Club magazine.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 22:20 (Ref:2426485)   #54
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some lovely ERA studies there, socram. One little correction though: the driver you identify as "A Pollack" actually spelled his name Pollock. His full name was Allen Conn Pollock and he appears to have preferred to use his middle name rather than his first name. I've found quite a few non-racing references to him as Mr Conn Pollock: he was a cloth manufacturer from Huddersfield.

Bob Marley
Old 28 Mar 2009, 14:45 (Ref:2427131)   #55
Roger Clark
Rookie

Roger Clark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THe current edition of the ERA Club magazine contains an excellent article about Conn Pollock
Old 12 Oct 2009, 09:10 (Ref:2559562)   #56
alfaronny
Rookie

alfaronny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the race#18 or is it #19 ??
In which case it could be Dobson at the 1936 Donington GP, where he finished 6th in a Tipo B
Ronny
Attached Thumbnails
19361003 DONINGTON #19 TIPO B DOBSON.jpg  
Old 19 Nov 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2585174)   #57
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 30 Jun 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2720408)   #58
billycooper
Rookie

England
Lake District
billycooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC pics

Jus put up these pics, and even though i have a fair idea who and what they are, i dont wanna put a false desciption !, any help would be appreciated, more to follow too !,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1678887...7624382877618/
Old 30 Jun 2010, 16:23 (Ref:2720420)   #59
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billycooper View Post
Jus put up these pics, and even though i have a fair idea who and what they are, i dont wanna put a false desciption !, any help would be appreciated, more to follow too !,

The Pentax Mazda RX7 looks like the Win Percy car from 1980.

The No 6 Rover is Rex Greenslade
Old 26 Jun 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2906523)   #60
David CM Stiles
Rookie

David CM Stiles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your Dad's Riley

Dear Mike,
Perhaps you would be surprised to hear that your Dad's "tatty" Brooklands Riley VC6788 has in fact survived; I have owned it since the early sixties. David
Old 27 Jun 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2906949)   #61
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David CM Stiles View Post
Dear Mike,
Perhaps you would be surprised to hear that your Dad's "tatty" Brooklands Riley VC6788 has in fact survived; I have owned it since the early sixties. David
David- I don't know what to say, that is amazing to hear! (Welcome to the forum by the way.)

Would it be possible at some pont for you to send me a PM with some info- I would love to see the car sometime.

Meanwhile, just scanned these extremely poor and small photos to show VC6788 when in Dad's tenure.

Regards, Mike

Old 29 Jun 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2908214)   #62
David CM Stiles
Rookie

Your dad's Riley

Hi Mike,

You say you are amazed to hear that your dad's Riley has survived; just imagine how I feel having just looked at the two, I guess pre-war, photographs of the car. I have spent years in odd moments researching the Brooklands, but have only got back as far as 1957.
So you can see, I was damn near reduced to tears........

Oh, and thanks for the welcome!
David
Old 30 Jun 2011, 19:01 (Ref:2908836)   #63
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Hi Mike,

You say you are amazed to hear that your dad's Riley has survived; just imagine how I feel having just looked at the two, I guess pre-war, photographs of the car. I have spent years in odd moments researching the Brooklands, but have only got back as far as 1957.
So you can see, I was damn near reduced to tears........

Oh, and thanks for the welcome!
David

David, I am fairly sure the photos are pre-war, and would guess taken somewhere around Loughborough. It is a great personal delight to me to hear that the car still exists, and now that we have established contact hopefully we can learn something relevant from each other!

Tears can be good sometimes.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 12:39 (Ref:2909303)   #64
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't you just love it when plan comes together .... or something! Well done both; aren't you pleased that this forum exists!
Old 4 Jul 2011, 00:31 (Ref:2917698)   #65
BILTEL
Racer

England
Brackley, centre of the Earth
BILTEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billycooper View Post

What a fantastic collection!!
ex Starion #20
Now building BMW 535i
for the 360, CTCRC Pre 93's
Old 3 Jan 2015, 08:20 (Ref:3489677)   #66
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know what. I know where, but I have a swag of pics where I can't fix the 'when' - usually at Donington! If anyone can pinpoint the date, It will help date other pics. A race programme would be even better if anyone can sell, scan or post!

Other pics I have show the Strand Glass Lotus Elite with three different race numbers but I can't date any of those accurately either.

Please send a PM if you can assist.

Last edited by socram; 3 Jan 2015 at 08:33.
Old 9 Mar 2015, 09:42 (Ref:3513198)   #67
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know what, and where, and organising club. It is 80's probably.

Old 9 Mar 2015, 09:48 (Ref:3513203)   #68
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Something from the archives, just out of interest. Who, where and when pretty easy I suspect, but why the thumb in air?
Old 3 Jan 2016, 21:48 (Ref:3601899)   #69
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Can you please date these for me?

I am scanning 100's, nay, 1,000s of images from negative film and slides. Although I have a very comprehensive pile of race programmes, there were occasions when I didn't get one. These are from the 1980s with one at Cadwell - possibly an NSCC meeting which also included pre-57 saloons and the others at Donington.

Scans of the relevant programme pages would be appreciated. just send a PM and I'll pass on my email address.
Attached Thumbnails
180 Cadwell 851.jpg   182 Not sure 0001.jpg   182 not sure 085.jpg  

188_0004.jpg   182_Frazer.jpg  
Old 21 Mar 2016, 13:34 (Ref:3625526)   #70
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
That could be tricky. Might move it to one of our main historic forums.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 14 Mar 2021, 12:36 (Ref:4040428)   #71
David CM Stiles
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Don't you just love it when plan comes together .... or something! Well done both; aren't you pleased that this forum exists!
Hello John, This is a really long shot. You must have known Mike Bell back in 2011? I hear he has sadly died, a while ago now. I just did not know. I would really like to know what happened to the photographs of the Riley VC6788. (I still own the car and am always in search of its history) However, I do want to upset any relative of Mike by asking questions. Have you any ideas? Best wishes David
Old 14 Mar 2021, 16:11 (Ref:4040440)   #72
David CM Stiles
Rookie

Mike Bells' post about his dad's Riley Brooklands

Quote:
Hello John, This is a really long shot. You must have known Mike Bell back in 2011? I hear he has sadly died, a while ago now. I just did not know. I would really like to know what happened to the photographs of the Riley VC6788. (I still own the car and am always in search of its history) However, I do want to upset any relative of Mike by asking questions. Have you any ideas? Best wishes David
Sorry.....that should have read "do NOT want to upset any relative..."
Old 14 Mar 2021, 17:32 (Ref:4040449)   #73
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hi David, pending a response from anyone else in the know, there are a number of threads dedicated to Mike and it might be that posting in one of those (e.g. see below) would yield a quicker response from the knowledgeable ones....

https://www.tentenths.com/forum/show...ll#post4031093
Old 17 Mar 2021, 20:10 (Ref:4041112)   #74
David CM Stiles
Rookie

Thanks Aysedasi, Have not had any other response but am trying a different for the moment. David