Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 19 Jun 2012, 21:41 (Ref:3095143)   #1
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Silverstone WEC 2012

Has the date changed for this race?

When the calendar was first announced, I seem to remember it was a Saturday race, the 25th, but the Silverstone and WEC websites now show it as the 26th August, which is Sunday.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 21:44 (Ref:3095145)   #2
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Date has changed to the Sunday. As I've sulked on a few threads that switch means I can't go! Cheers to whoever instigated that
Old 19 Jun 2012, 22:30 (Ref:3095165)   #3
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a question before I invest in tickets - will Toyota be there, and if so, with how many cars? I'll be more interested in going if there's going to be an Audi/Toyota competition.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 22:42 (Ref:3095171)   #4
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as we know Toyota will be there with 1 entry. Should be the case for the rest of the WEC save for Fuji where they will probably run a 2nd car.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 22:54 (Ref:3095178)   #5
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Date has changed to the Sunday. As I've sulked on a few threads that switch means I can't go! Cheers to whoever instigated that
Thought the Saturday races were an attempt to improve tv audiences, but as Spa is not the bank holiday weekend this year, I suppose there is no grand prix on the Sunday to avoid.

I expect they will get a bigger crowd on the Sunday, but like you I could have gone on the Saturday but not the Sunday. Shame.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 08:09 (Ref:3095288)   #6
Entr0py
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Shire
Entr0py should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've also heard that there's at least one Toyota going, I'll be there on the Sunday. It'll be interesting to see what crowd they get, most GT events up there attract only a handful of people, I often wonder where the value in running the event's are. At the Blancpain Endurance race a few weeks ago I barely saw any spectators apart from in the Woodcote stand.

Looking forward to a good race
Old 20 Jun 2012, 08:42 (Ref:3095300)   #7
Entr0py
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Shire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
Has the date changed for this race?

When the calendar was first announced, I seem to remember it was a Saturday race, the 25th, but the Silverstone and WEC websites now show it as the 26th August, which is Sunday.
I've just been checking and something isn't right...

The WEC and Renault World Series are both down for the 25th-26th August, that can't be right, especially as the RWS is a free event.

I'll give Silverstone a bell later and update this thread when I know more
Old 20 Jun 2012, 08:45 (Ref:3095301)   #8
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entr0py View Post
I've just been checking and something isn't right...

The WEC and Renault World Series are both down for the 25th-26th August, that can't be right, especially as the RWS is a free event.

I'll give Silverstone a bell later and update this thread when I know more
It's not a World Series meeting, it's just Formula Renault 3.5 supporting the WEC. See here: http://www.worldseriesbyrenault.fr/e...s/Default.aspx

Quote:
Silverstone hosts Formula Renault 3.5 Series' paddock during the all-new FIA World Endurance Championship's british meeting... Go to www.fiawec.com for more informations. World Series by Renault don't sell tickets on this event.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 09:08 (Ref:3095312)   #9
Entr0py
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Shire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
It's not a World Series meeting, it's just Formula Renault 3.5 supporting the WEC. See here: http://www.worldseriesbyrenault.fr/e...s/Default.aspx

Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up. That's a bit of shame the RWS isn't coming to Silverstone properly this year, it's usually the one event I can persuade my casual race fan friends to attend (as it's free!).
Old 20 Jun 2012, 09:26 (Ref:3095319)   #10
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entr0py View Post
Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up. That's a bit of shame the RWS isn't coming to Silverstone properly this year, it's usually the one event I can persuade my casual race fan friends to attend (as it's free!).
Faintly pleased it's not a double header with RWS - while I'm all in favour of having a decent crowd for the WEC, the level of queueing chaos to get in and out that having the RWS around would entail might be a bit much.

As it is hotel accommodation around Silverstone that weekend is starting to look a bit full - which is both a good thing and mildly annoying.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 10:10 (Ref:3095332)   #11
Entr0py
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Shire
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Faintly pleased it's not a double header with RWS - while I'm all in favour of having a decent crowd for the WEC, the level of queueing chaos to get in and out that having the RWS around would entail might be a bit much.

As it is hotel accommodation around Silverstone that weekend is starting to look a bit full - which is both a good thing and mildly annoying.

I must admit I do like having the circuit to ourselves as such when it's more low key events, last year the RWS was chaos getting out the circuit on the Sunday, far worse than at the F1 or MotoGP. The great thing about Sportscar events is that they never usually fill more than one car park so you have free reign in most stands and leaving afterwards. I just wish the sport (and more specifically the drivers) gathered more respect from the casual fans who think only F1 drivers can drive.

Last edited by Entr0py; 20 Jun 2012 at 10:24.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 10:13 (Ref:3095335)   #12
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will Silverstone's Woodcote campsite be open for this? Anyone recommend some good sites to stay on?
Old 20 Jun 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3095345)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's called world series by renault. that's wsr nor rws. if you don't use the proper name i'll start calling the wec something like ewc or something

wsr is the event. fr3.5 is the series. fr3.5 did monza last year which was far more fun than silverstone but needs must for the british boys and all that. glad they're not doing silverstone for wsr this year, it's the worst round of the season in terms of sheer numbers and behaviour of people.

has anyone seen a timetable for this yet?
Old 20 Jun 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3095354)   #14
Entr0py
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Shire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it's called world series by renault. that's wsr nor rws. if you don't use the proper name i'll start calling the wec something like ewc or something

wsr is the event. fr3.5 is the series. fr3.5 did monza last year which was far more fun than silverstone but needs must for the british boys and all that. glad they're not doing silverstone for wsr this year, it's the worst round of the season in terms of sheer numbers and behaviour of people.

has anyone seen a timetable for this yet?

Indeed it's busy but care to expand on 'behaviour'? I always accept it's going to be a day packed full of families and casual fans. I think it does good things in attracting people to motorsport. Do you mean people specifically behaving badly or just the general atmosphere? I don't recall any incidents over the last few years, the only questionable people I've seen up Silverstone is some of the thuggish F1 fans (you know the types).
Old 20 Jun 2012, 11:26 (Ref:3095364)   #15
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Free entry seems to attract people who are just looking for somewhere to go for the day (and often get beered up), as well as those with a casual interest in motorsport who are there to "try before you buy".

A couple of years ago two of the three stands outside Copse were open. A bunch of lackwits decided they wanted to sit in the closed one, clambered over the locked gates and abused people who asked them to move. I was elsewhere on circuit and as marshals we spent a lot of time on crowd control - asking people to move back behind the safety railings, not hold their two year old up with face pressed to the debris fencing and the like. It did improve last time out with more security people on site.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 11:54 (Ref:3095372)   #16
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
As far as we know Toyota will be there with 1 entry. Should be the case for the rest of the WEC save for Fuji where they will probably run a 2nd car.
Thanks for that. Better one than none I suppose! Hopefully they decide to field both cars, but we'll see.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 11:58 (Ref:3095376)   #17
Entr0py
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Shire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
Free entry seems to attract people who are just looking for somewhere to go for the day (and often get beered up), as well as those with a casual interest in motorsport who are there to "try before you buy".

A couple of years ago two of the three stands outside Copse were open. A bunch of lackwits decided they wanted to sit in the closed one, clambered over the locked gates and abused people who asked them to move. I was elsewhere on circuit and as marshals we spent a lot of time on crowd control - asking people to move back behind the safety railings, not hold their two year old up with face pressed to the debris fencing and the like. It did improve last time out with more security people on site.
That's really bad of them to do that!! I do think it's good for the 'try before you buy' brigade, i've converted a few friends via the free events. I often wondered what value the event brought to Silverstone, does Renault cover everything?
Old 20 Jun 2012, 12:12 (Ref:3095381)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm not sure exactly who pays for what, but judging by the varying levels of bothered at each circuit on the calendar i would say that wsr/rpm brings all the racing, toys etc and the circuits look after the actual costs of hosting it like crowd control, parking control, etc themselves.

it's differently hosted in germany (where you can't move without being handed earplugs) than in hungary (where there's far more vehicles to look at - trucks, fire engines, etc) and spa for example. there was no music and "extreme" sports at motorland, but at spa there were wsr branded cheerleaders, stunt pedal bikists and a dj. that was at every round last year. so it's a bit unclear.

regarding behavior, it's general common sense stuff that i noticed was ignored at le mans too - paul mentioned ducking the barriers to get next to the catch fencing, smoking in places they shouldn't etc. the attitude of the fans on the whole can be summed up by the comments on any post on the wsr facebook page from the british. it's free. many of them don't give a stuff about motorsport, they just go because it's free. i've also managed to convert quite a few to live motorsport via the wsr. it's a great event if you genuinely like to see a good, well managed day on the circuit with stuff to look at and stuff for the kids to do too.

for what it's worth, i never see that same attitude at any of the other wsr venues.

Last edited by bella; 20 Jun 2012 at 12:18.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 12:37 (Ref:3095401)   #19
Entr0py
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Shire
Quote:
i'm not sure exactly who pays for what, but judging by the varying levels of bothered at each circuit on the calendar i would say that wsr/rpm brings all the racing, toys etc and the circuits look after the actual costs of hosting it like crowd control, parking control, etc themselves.

it's differently hosted in germany (where you can't move without being handed earplugs) than in hungary (where there's far more vehicles to look at - trucks, fire engines, etc) and spa for example. there was no music and "extreme" sports at motorland, but at spa there were wsr branded cheerleaders, stunt pedal bikists and a dj. that was at every round last year. so it's a bit unclear.

regarding behavior, it's general common sense stuff that i noticed was ignored at le mans too - paul mentioned ducking the barriers to get next to the catch fencing, smoking in places they shouldn't etc. the attitude of the fans on the whole can be summed up by the comments on any post on the wsr facebook page from the british. it's free. many of them don't give a stuff about motorsport, they just go because it's free. i've also managed to convert quite a few to live motorsport via the wsr. it's a great event if you genuinely like to see a good, well managed day on the circuit with stuff to look at and stuff for the kids to do too.

for what it's worth, i never see that same attitude at any of the other wsr venues.
That's interesting to read, maybe it's a British thing that free events bring out the worst in some of our lot, things tend to be very expensive to do over here especially if it's a family day out, people will seize upon any cheap day. In all fairness though you see plenty of newcomers having a great day out with no trouble at all, and I think the event should be kept.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 13:28 (Ref:3095434)   #20
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh I agree entirely the event should be kept and kept as free to enter. It's a minority that bugger things up and unfortunate that they're the one's who get remembered. The vast majority of folks there are out to enjoy themselves without causing any bother.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 14:11 (Ref:3095463)   #21
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
Thanks for that. Better one than none I suppose! Hopefully they decide to field both cars, but we'll see.
DAGYS: Is there a chance of seeing a second car in the WEC post-Le Mans?

VASSELON: There's a remote possibility for two cars. It's a maybe but it depends on the budget. At the moment, it's unlikely. I think if we were to have two cars in WEC, it would be at Fuji.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...scal-vasselon/
Old 20 Jun 2012, 14:20 (Ref:3095465)   #22
Lorenzo S
Racer

England
Dordrecht, the Netherlands
Lorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
...Silverstone ... it's the worst round of the season in terms of sheer numbers and behaviour of people...[snip]...for what it's worth, i never see that same attitude at any of the other wsr venues.
I don't post much on this website and I am wondering whether maybe I am misinterpreting your comments somewhat but I can't not respond to this.

As a Brit living abroad I'm actually quite offended by your sweeping generalisation of the average British motorsport fan as it seems pretty racist to me.

I just returned from Le Mans where I saw a lot of British fans enjoying themselves, a few arses but nobody causing any harm or doing anything stupid.

Unlike a group of French *holes who were quite obviously off their faces or on drugs underneath the ACO stand at the start and almost kicked off a fight when an ACO steward removed his Breton flag which he kept poking in everyone's faces.

I don't think nationality has anything to do with being a ******** and should be kept out of the discussion.

Sorry if this is a bit out of place but sweeping generalisations based on race can really P me off.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 15:11 (Ref:3095491)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
you're completely misunderstanding my point. but i can understand how you might choose to read it that way. fwiw, i'm british. i've been to around 5-7 british gps, and british motorsport for 10 years. the same behaviour at the wsr has been exhibited by british people (NOT motorsport fans) regardless of whether it's at donington or silverstone for years. i also mentioned that i saw the same issues with behaviour at le mans too.

like i say, i go to all the other wsr rounds (this is my 3rd year of a complete calendar bar moscow) and i never see any of the behaviour there, where it's also free to get in and where people who can't normally afford motorsport are commonly found amongst the crowds. i have never seen a french fan at either magny cours or paul ricard disregard safety, nor a german at the nurburgring or hockenheim do similar.

it's pretty expensive to see motorsport in other countries too. take the cost of a f1 or wtcc entry ticket for the hungaroring or slovakia for their wtcc meeting, add in their fuel costs to get there and compare it against the average post-tax wage. i guarantee the uk would look pretty cheap in comparison.

we're going off topic here, so perhaps it's worth returning to the wec.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 15:17 (Ref:3095495)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

we're going off topic here, so perhaps it's worth returning to the wec.

Yes please.....
Old 20 Jun 2012, 15:49 (Ref:3095523)   #25
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Pescarolo go? And will Rebellion jump to the Dome?