Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 25 Nov 2013, 22:47 (Ref:3336743)   #1
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get a ganassi shoot-out for car #10!

If I were Chip, I would remember the days Montoya took the series by surprise and demonstrated what pure talent means! He came to Europe and battled amongst the best but couldn't get the F1 break he was seeking. Thank God for that as it gave Chip the chance to put a super talent in his car and win all in 1999 and 2000!!!

I would go back to that these gut feelings. I would go for a fresh, new talent, a new face in Indycar and build up the excitement by organising a highly mediatic shoot-out on race course and oval for my favorite top 5 drivers of the moment! Besides Sage Karam, I would bring Paul di Resta (freshly out of F1 but mostly Darios' cousin...) and Sam bird, GP2 runner-up and GP2 team champion with 5 Wins! Maybe Lucas Filipi and Simona di Silvestro to see what a talented girl can achieve in a top car. And benchmark them to Dixon or even Kanan on both days!!
If none are close enough, Kanan gets the #10 car and the promising rookie the NTT car. Win-win situation for Chip!!
Old 26 Nov 2013, 11:50 (Ref:3336914)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Your weird 'Sam Bird Thread' starting aside, i actually agree.

Surely with Dixon they have the ultra-experienced hand. The Dixy/Dario pairing was boringly efficient. Get someone in who could mix it up. I would say take Sage, support the ladder system. He showed Munoz a clean pair of heels on many occasions and that kid is a potential superstar!

Do it Chip. Do the right thing.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3336925)   #3
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kinda expecting Di Resta to end up in that seat, and I can see him going there and doing very very well. He's very competent but not a true superstar at F1 level - but more than good enough to jump over the other side of the pond and do VERY well.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 14:06 (Ref:3336961)   #4
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Any of the French drivers - or even Newgarden. I'd pull one of them out of their existing contracts as each one of them know the cars and tracks and have bags of potential. DiResta is fine but he would need time for him to dial himself in and he is bit of an unknown quantity. OK, I know Ganassi won the championship, lol but the form of the Ganassi cars can be a bit strange. You'd want a guy that was already up to speed in the series to know exactly where you stand and have confidence in your competitiveness.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 21:18 (Ref:3337129)   #5
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Might happen.

http://www.racer.com/insight-ganassi...rticle/322759/
Old 26 Nov 2013, 21:31 (Ref:3337142)   #6
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Too bad Bourdais got the KV seat. He could well have been a candidate. But Simona obviously, and Di Resta also.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3337176)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To open the sport up to new markets, and to cash in on the 'Danica Factor', and indeed to appeal to the title sponsor Target's customer base, very careful consideration should likely be given to securing Simona di Silvestro for the ride.

For the good of the sport, its a good choice. And there were glimpses of talent there when the team had ok cars... a Ganassi car should be a cut above her previous rides..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 26 Nov 2013, 23:07 (Ref:3337194)   #8
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Di Resta is too good of a candidate and story to pass up on IMO.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 23:10 (Ref:3337197)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It's probably a buyer's market for Ganassi, a lot of drivers would kill for that seat. It would be interesting to see someone come in from F1 or GP2 (though personally I hope di Resta stays in F1), but I have a hunch it will be somebody Stateside.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 23:11 (Ref:3337198)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I still reckon Briscoe runs Dixon and the Penske boys hard for the championship next year if he gets that seat. Wilson would be the same... Anyone else will need at least a year or two to get the hang of things - depending on who that is, likely a combination of the cars, the circuits, the pressure and expectation, running with the guys at the front, etc.

It depends on what Chip wants out of that car... If he wants a championship challenger out of the box, it's a no-brainer - Briscoe or Wilson get the seat (ahead of Kanaan, IMO).

If he (and his sponsors) have the patience and are happy to have more of a project, the Di Restas, Karams, Dalys, Newgardens, Di Silvestros, GP2 guys start to enter the frame.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 23:33 (Ref:3337208)   #11
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Ganassi needs to forget the exotic choices and resist Franchitti's lobbying for diResta. The promising drivers he wants are all in the Indycar grid and he should be able to coax one of them out of their contract, should they be tied up in one.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 06:15 (Ref:3338025)   #12
miniman
Rookie

miniman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
It's probably a buyer's market for Ganassi, a lot of drivers would kill for that seat. It would be interesting to see someone come in from F1 or GP2 (though personally I hope di Resta stays in F1), but I have a hunch it will be somebody Stateside.
I agree about looking at GP2. Having read the article, a driver who is used to NOT having power steering will be better equipped to cope here. GP2 is much more physical than F1.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 14:11 (Ref:3338607)   #13
ace007
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
I agree about looking at GP2. Having read the article, a driver who is used to NOT having power steering will be better equipped to cope here. GP2 is much more physical than F1.
When it comes to the wrists and arms, yes! Not when taking g-forces and neck muscles in consideration though...

Having said that, I know from experience that GP2 front-runners do excel in street and road courses in the USA. The question is only how they will fare on ovals. It took Will Power some time to get used to them... But again, Sam Bird seems to like to flirt with walls if you consider his Monaco and Macau records!
Old 30 Nov 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3338693)   #14
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering the Ganassi seat, I've read some interesting ideas that would make for some good storylines on other discussion forums like

- TK moving to the #10 and Rubens Barrichello making a comeback with some additional Brazilian sponsors in the #8 car for one season
- Paul DiResta getting the DTM drive with Mercedes which Canadian Robert Wickens now has, then Wickens would join Ganassi to help promote the Target expansion to Canada
- JR Hildebrand joining Ganassi to become teammate of Charlie Kimball, the man he literally tripped over when he had a shot at winning the Indy 500 in 2011.
- Nelson Piquet, Jr. because he has an F1 podium and has won several times in the NASCAR truck series, on ovals even.

But would those storylines attract new fans from outside of the sport?
Old 30 Nov 2013, 22:49 (Ref:3338765)   #15
ace007
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Considering the Ganassi seat, I've read some interesting ideas that would make for some good storylines on other discussion forums like

- TK moving to the #10 and Rubens Barrichello making a comeback with some additional Brazilian sponsors in the #8 car for one season
- Paul DiResta getting the DTM drive with Mercedes which Canadian Robert Wickens now has, then Wickens would join Ganassi to help promote the Target expansion to Canada
- JR Hildebrand joining Ganassi to become teammate of Charlie Kimball, the man he literally tripped over when he had a shot at winning the Indy 500 in 2011.
- Nelson Piquet, Jr. because he has an F1 podium and has won several times in the NASCAR truck series, on ovals even.

But would those storylines attract new fans from outside of the sport?
I like your quotes!

Most importantly, I do believe that there is a HUGE potential fan base outside the USA for Indycar and the series DOES NOT ADDRESS IT! This is why Indycar needs more races outside the USA with the best "European talents" - talents developed in Europe but could be Bazilian or Canadian indeed too-. Because F1 is dying and Europeans are very tuned to their single-seaters racing, there is a great opportunity here but it needs a WORLD STAGE. 2 European races (DONNINGTON and JEREZ?), 2 South/central American ones (Brazil and Mexico for sure!) and 2 Asian one including one in Japan (Think what Honda would give for that...), the other one in China where it never stops expanding!! The Indycar fan base is wrongly thought to be in the USA when in fact -even if there is a faithful one - its main target is outside the USA!

Last edited by ace007; 30 Nov 2013 at 22:59.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 23:00 (Ref:3338768)   #16
daallo
Rookie

Mexico
Mexico
daallo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
De Silvestro would be a huge disappointment and should be out of the picture for such a seat. She has had one podium and a 5th as highlights in FOUR years and has never qualified in the top 20 at he Indy 500. Leave marketing seats for other teams, but not for Ganassi.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 23:06 (Ref:3338770)   #17
asphaltguy
Rookie

asphaltguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say put Daily in the seat......
Old 30 Nov 2013, 23:08 (Ref:3338771)   #18
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Indycar in Europe is a bit like DTM in Britain. A nice idea on paper but in practice it just doesn't quite connect.

I'd say diResta is a favourite for that seat, although I wouldn't consider him top on my list myself, I'd be coaxing one of the existing French Indycar drivers out of their contracts but then I'm not making that decision.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 12:48 (Ref:3339703)   #19
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Indycar in Europe is a bit like DTM in Britain. A nice idea on paper but in practice it just doesn't quite connect.
Why? Indycar in Slovakia or Germany wouldn't make much sense, but I think it can connect with UK, because of so many drivers from English-speaking countries.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 16:35 (Ref:3339788)   #20
ace007
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
Why? Indycar in Slovakia or Germany wouldn't make much sense, but I think it can connect with UK, because of so many drivers from English-speaking countries.
It would huge to any race-oriented nation like Spain, Belgium, Germany and Holland! There is a market for it. Would be sensational to see a German engine in these cars but for that, you would need some more international races... Asia, South America...
Old 3 Dec 2013, 17:43 (Ref:3339801)   #21
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
I don't see a market in Europe for it personally. There's plenty of single seater championships that race well and Indycar would just be another unfamiliar series among a number of them.

Now a winter [winter for us, summer for them] race or two in a southern hemisphere nation might be the thing.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 18:03 (Ref:3339807)   #22
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
Maybe Lucas Filipi and Simona di Silvestro to see what a talented girl can achieve in a top car.
Mate, Filippi isn't a girl...
Old 3 Dec 2013, 18:06 (Ref:3339808)   #23
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally it's down to Karam (even though he'll only be 19...), Bird, Filippi and potentially de Silvestro, Munoz, Daly, Leimer and Tagliani...

...but at the end of the day di Resta is more talented than all of them, and is the most likely to get the seat. He's the only man (other than Maxi Gotz) to beat Vettel in a full season of identical single seater racing, will be out of F1, and (more importantly) is Dario's cousin.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 18:25 (Ref:3339816)   #24
ace007
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I don't see a market in Europe for it personally. There's plenty of single seater championships that race well and Indycar would just be another unfamiliar series among a number of them.

Now a winter [winter for us, summer for them] race or two in a southern hemisphere nation might be the thing.
Spanish are super fan of all motorsports like the UK! Take these two only and you fill all your seats if you bring the show around! Think of Donnington or even Brands! And Jerez in Spain! FULL There is only F1 in Europe as pro single-seater series and many people are getting fed-up so if Indycar does not take the spot (and it unfortunately wont), formula E will... which is a pity as these machines and the whole show is unique by definition!
Old 4 Dec 2013, 09:57 (Ref:3340049)   #25
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
I like your quotes!

Most importantly, I do believe that there is a HUGE potential fan base outside the USA for Indycar and the series DOES NOT ADDRESS IT! This is why Indycar needs more races outside the USA with the best "European talents" - talents developed in Europe but could be Bazilian or Canadian indeed too-. Because F1 is dying and Europeans are very tuned to their single-seaters racing, there is a great opportunity here but it needs a WORLD STAGE. 2 European races (DONNINGTON and JEREZ?), 2 South/central American ones (Brazil and Mexico for sure!) and 2 Asian one including one in Japan (Think what Honda would give for that...), the other one in China where it never stops expanding!! The Indycar fan base is wrongly thought to be in the USA when in fact -even if there is a faithful one - its main target is outside the USA!
Thanks. Now I wonder whether Giorgio Pantano might have a shot at getting the ride, too, since he raced for Ganassi before as a substitute driver, even once in the current car. Too bad their former development driver Alex Lloyd has retired after 2011, now that there is an opening at the team.

Regarding European venues, sure, as a European citizen, I feel it would be awesome if the series came to these shores. Yet, if the US domestic tracks do not want to invest in the series by paying their sanctioning fee, I guess it's rather unlikely they expand. Certainly, Brands Hatch would have to be IndyCar's prime candidate for such an event. Lausitzring, the oval in Germany that was built for these cars, needs to upgrade their circuit and get a SAFER barrier first. And then there is this place in France called Dijon-Prenois which has got one of the best racetracks in the world (as far as on track action is concerned). The track made DTM look like NASCAR when they ran there once, and thus should be fine for oval specialists to go round, too. If Bourdais were to get a home race, it definitely should be held there.
But these are just fantasies, I guess.

And now let's wait and see if Chip Ganassi can get either Justin Wilson or Ryan Briscoe out of their contracts with Dale Coyne and Panther respectively.

I must say I'd much rather see Paul DiResta back in DTM where he does have a fanbase from when he first raced in the series.